Sponsored

Will oil separator void my warranty?

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Had my 2016 emission tested on Saturday, no problem at all with an FP catch can. Why would anyone think an oil separator would affect an emission test if installed properly? A hose is a hose.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Forgive me for reviving this old post even if it was already addresed. I just want to more people to know that the manufacturer is the one who must show proof (not just verbaly explain, but must show actual physical evidence) that the aftermarket part was the one that cause failure.
The funny thing is what people Must do, isn't always what they actually do.

Let's look at a sample scenario: You tune your car, and one day your car feels low on power. You bring it in to Ford, and they find out the piston rings have failed on one of the cylinders. Ford says because you've got a tune on the car, the motor was making power beyond it's factory rated limits, causing undue stress on engine components, causing premature wear and failure of the piston rings.

You say it's a factory defect, and you don't believe their verdict. You say you want proof, and they just hand you the report, and tell you to go take a hike.

At that point, do you think it's an uphill battle for you? Realistically, what are your options? Are you going to call the cops on them for not giving you physical evidence? You're probably getting a lawyer to help you prove you weren't to blame, and to get them to take responsibility if it really is their fault, and to fix the motor like they should have the first time around.

jpogi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Black Accent pkg
It depends on what their report says actually. Sometimes that’s enough along with your knowledge that your aftermarket did cause the failure.

If you think otherwise, then lawyering up is the option, it’s how things are done with any dispute not only in cars but also with marriage, business, living will.

Usually, the manufacturer (provided they know they are wrong) will back off when your lawyer talks to them.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
You're not getting the point. If they don't take responsibility right off the bat if it really is not your fault, you can't just say Alakazam!(or in this case Magnusson-Moss act!!) and suddenly the dealer shakes in their boots and bows down to your demands.

Expect your warranty to be denied, and be prepared to fight. The misconception of throwing around the Mag-Moss Act and suddenly you're made whole again is an absolute joke.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
You're not getting the point. If they don't take responsibility right off the bat if it really is not your fault, you can't just say Alakazam!(or in this case Magnusson-Moss act!!) and suddenly the dealer shakes in their boots and bows down to your demands.

Expect your warranty to be denied, and be prepared to fight. The misconception of throwing around the Mag-Moss Act and suddenly you're made whole again is an absolute joke.
Yes they will deny it and you will likely have to hire a lawyer and take them to court. They may have to prove it then, but how many people are going to cough up all the money to even get to this point (assuming you can even find a lawyer to take this on).

Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Okay....NOTHING will "void" your warranty. If Ford thinks the issue was caused by a mod then they can deny your claim. But your warranty is NOT "voided" by a mod. If you tune the engine and the radio goes kaput - they will cover the radio under warranty, however if you frag a piston they will most likley tell you to go pound sand.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Yes they will deny it and you will likely have to hire a lawyer and take them to court. They may have to prove it then, but how many people are going to cough up all the money to even get to this point (assuming you can even find a lawyer to take this on).
Anywhere you go, people throw around Magnusson-Moss act like they can't just straight up deny your warranty. When the reality is yea, they can, and now you have to do all this legwork just for the chance for them to honor your warranty. All the while your car sits as a paperweight at the dealership.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Safest way is to just re-install the OEM tube whenever you go in for service. Takes literally a minute for peace of mind.
Yup, some dealers will use any excuse to jerk you around.
Don't give them a free one..............

jpogi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Black Accent pkg

My point is... I am ready to go to court if it's obvious to me that my aftermarket part did not cause the failure. I know I have to shell out $ but I am ready fight for what is mine. The M-F Act does help a lot in removing power of the manufacturer over warranty issues.

And let me say it again, if it's obvious that an aftermarket did not cause the trouble, a call from a lawyer is more than enough for the manufacturer to back off.

I have an experience with NissanUSA regarding this. I told the tegional representative my reasoning (to show I know about cars) and that I would have to lawyer up. And they fixed my car under warranty without anymore resistance.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Takes 5 min to remove the oil catch can and it will save you tons of headache, run around and money.

Sponsored

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
Hey guys, sorry for what some may consider a stupid question. I have a 2020 Bullitt, anyone know the Ford Performance catch can part number for this car? Thank you

GT4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K2498; 2014 M-B SLK350; 2010 Maxima SV;
Hey guys, sorry for what some may consider a stupid question. I have a 2020 Bullitt, anyone know the Ford Performance catch can part number for this car? Thank you
According to a printed copy of the 2020 Ford Performance Parts Catalog, page 10 shows a a 5.0L Coyote RH (right hand/passenger side) oil/air separator as having part number M-6766-A50A for a 2019 Mustang Bullitt. Unless Ford made changes to the engine in the 2020 Bullitt compared to the 2019 Bullitt I'm not aware of, this would work in the 2020 version. Also, the on-line Ford Performance Parts catalog lists the same part number as being for a 2018 - 2020 5.0L Coyote engine as further confirmation. The printed catalog gives a price of $215.00, with the on-line catalog showing a cost of $225.00, probably more up-to-date. However, you can get the same item/same part number on Amazon for $158.95 (as of this writing, at least).

In case you're wondering, I didn't see anything either in the printed or on-line catalog, or on Amazon, for a 5.0L Coyote LH (left hand/driver side) version of an oil/air separator, so maybe it was never made. From what I've read in other posts or elsewhere, as well as from my own experience (albeit limited so far) having 2 oil/air separators on my Shelby GT350, the only time fellow owners have noted oil in the drivers side oil/air separator is when they use their vehicle for some serious heavy-duty tracking, so unless you plan to run your Bullitt that way, you'll probably never need one for the drivers side., and save some $ in the process.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
No ones going to void your warranty for a catch can, especially a Ford part. Imagine, "yes your car blew up because of our catch can, sorry" I asked Ford performance parts (in person) about this and they laughed at me. Now a tune, yea, not worth the risk. I will say, its best to have a good relationship with your dealer. They can and have denied warranty claims that in the long run were reversed by Ford. But, It took time

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
According to a printed copy of the 2020 Ford Performance Parts Catalog, page 10 shows a a 5.0L Coyote RH (right hand/passenger side) oil/air separator as having part number M-6766-A50A for a 2019 Mustang Bullitt. Unless Ford made changes to the engine in the 2020 Bullitt compared to the 2019 Bullitt I'm not aware of, this would work in the 2020 version. Also, the on-line Ford Performance Parts catalog lists the same part number as being for a 2018 - 2020 5.0L Coyote engine as further confirmation. The printed catalog gives a price of $215.00, with the on-line catalog showing a cost of $225.00, probably more up-to-date. However, you can get the same item/same part number on Amazon for $158.95 (as of this writing, at least).

In case you're wondering, I didn't see anything either in the printed or on-line catalog, or on Amazon, for a 5.0L Coyote LH (left hand/driver side) version of an oil/air separator, so maybe it was never made. From what I've read in other posts or elsewhere, as well as from my own experience (albeit limited so far) having 2 oil/air separators on my Shelby GT350, the only time fellow owners have noted oil in the drivers side oil/air separator is when they use their vehicle for some serious heavy-duty tracking, so unless you plan to run your Bullitt that way, you'll probably never need one for the drivers side., and save some $ in the process.
Thank you very much!!
Sponsored