Sponsored

Who's Oil Filter is NOT leaking?

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Maybe this should be a poll?

I seem to have a consistent leak at the oil filter mounting location.

After my first oil change I noticed a leak around the filter location. Initially I thought it was residue from a messy dealership change (yes, I decided to have my first change at 500 miles done by a dealership) that was leaking out. I accessed the undertray and cleaned up some residue oil.

But, the leaks continued. Later, while preparing for a track event, I inspected the filter, saw leak residue on the filter and then checked the tightness: it was about 3/4 to one full turn less than what was necessary to get it to the torque spec.

After the event I noticed continued leaking. Another inspection revealed that the filter had loosened, and, of course, there was leakage residue all over. I tightened the filter again, this time about a foot pound beyond the spec.

The leaking continued. This past weekend I was prepping the car for another event, including an oil change. The leaking filter did not want to budge using the fluted cap wrench and a vicious application of the channel lock wrench was necessary. Perhaps too much torque the last time I tightened it . . .?

As others have reported, changing the oil filter is a damn messy job, made more so because of the belly pan. And, why would you place electrical connectors right below the filter mount?

Bringing the long story to a close, I installed the new filter and torqued it to 24 NM. I've noticed a few drops since then, which I cannot rule out as coming from some past leaking that I somehow didn't get to. I have not yet inspected the filter to see if it's leaking again.

I'm a bit frustrated that the filter comes loose--as others have also reported--and that even with torquing to specs, my filter at least still leaks. Using a thread locker or wiring the filter can help to prevent any loosening, but if it's a sealing issue, then this won't matter.

I've asked a local race prep and support shop to design a remote filter setup that will place the filter vertically in the engine bay. At the least, this will eliminate the awkward filter location and changing process. And, my expectation is that with quality fittings and AN lines, this source of leakage will be eliminated.

Any other experiences and thoughts?
Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
No leaks here. I do my own oil changes and always tq the filter to 18 ft lbs and recheck after a week. I think the dealers don't do this many times.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I haven't had a problem so far, knock on wood. I'm the only person that's changed the oil in it.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I have 10K miles and I am planning for my 3rd oil change before I put it away for the winter, I have had zero oil leak issues from the filter. I have done 3 track days and my filter has not backed off on the torque spec.
The next time you have your filter off, clean and then check the gasket seal surface for scratches, dings or any heavy machining marks that might be contributing to your leaking problem.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
No leaks. You are putting oil on the rubber part of the filter before you put it on right? If you dont it will always leak.

I wouldnt expect the oil filter to leak a little. Id expect it to leak ALOT or not at all.

Blue Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1 1LE, GT350, Ford RS, F350 Dually, Explorer
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that those of us that have done our own oil changes and torqued to the required specs do not and will not have any form of oil leak. :cheers:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
After 4x dealer oil changes I'm a little afraid to look!

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
This is all good news.

To the question about whether I put oil on the gasket before installing the filter, yes I did. I don't know whether the dealer did that with the first change.

I didn't specifically inspect the housing / seating surface for defects, but I did feel around the lip while cleaning and preparing for installing the new filter. I didn't notice anything obvious.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
No oil leaks after engine replacement and I personally TQ'ed the housing to spec. Original engine no oil leaks, did my own oil changes.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
No leaks for me. I haven't been on track with my car, and my spirited driving probably isn't that spirited. I've done my own changes and torque the filter to spec, and recheck (cold) 100~ miles after each change.

Are you sure the leak is coming from the filter housing? Could it be from the fittings going to the oil cooler? Could it be any of the crimps on the lines to/from the cooler? There's recall on the crimps on these oil cooler lines, if you weren't aware. I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread yet.

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
I would check and make sure the leak isn't the oil cooler line which attaches to the oil filter housing.

Peter

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
No leaks for me. I haven't been on track with my car, and my spirited driving probably isn't that spirited. I've done my own changes and torque the filter to spec, and recheck (cold) 100~ miles after each change.

Are you sure the leak is coming from the filter housing? Could it be from the fittings going to the oil cooler? Could it be any of the crimps on the lines to/from the cooler? There's recall on the crimps on these oil cooler lines, if you weren't aware. I hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread yet.
This doesnt sound like a filter to me

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Haven't had my first oil change yet, but no leaks here either. Although we did check the torque on it when I picked it up.
Sponsored