Who knew Avalanche Gray was so hard to match

stshoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Avalanche w/Black Stripe and roof, tech pack
Took my car into the dealer last week to have a shopping cart dent fixed. Already did paintless and because of it's location in relation to the door beam, the metal was stretched. So dealer says drop it off last Tuesday and it will be done Thursday. Get a call Friday - paint is too dark, which probably means now that the blend area got bigger :doh: Talk to them today and they are having the paint company coming in to figure out the blend. Apparently the color isn't in most if any systems since it's so 'new'. Hopefully they get it right and soon. I'm going thru Shelby withdrawal!

Who knew matching a nonmetallic color was so difficult!
Sponsored

ddub68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
Just tell them to primer it and then clear coat JK =)

ddub68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
I love the color. I imagine it has a lot of flop in it since it looks so different in various lighting.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Flop doesn't apply to non-metallic paint..... ;)

Flop is caused by the orientation of the flake in the paint, the edge of the flake is the darker side, while the face is the more reflective side.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
they are having the paint company coming in to figure out the blend.
Which is quite likely just something to say that makes THEM look better than "we messed it up but will get it right next time" :)

Sorry you'll be in withdrawal longer than planned.

ddub68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
Flop doesn't apply to non-metallic paint..... ;)

Flop is caused by the orientation of the flake in the paint, the edge of the flake is the darker side, while the face is the more reflective side.
Hmmm. I would generally agree with you but one of the variant formulas for AG calls for DX821 which is PPG's flop adjuster...not sure you would need flop adjuster if you weren't dealing with some level of...wait for it...flop :doh::confused::thumbsup:

pete613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
I had a similar problem with my Wimbledon white 50th anniversary GT, Someome hit the rear fender with their door, denting it on the body line, paint less didn't work and my body shop had to practically re paint half the car. But they did an excellent job and I couldn't be happier! They even gave some extra paint to me in case I had a small scratch here and there.

The shop is used by the local ferrari, Maserati, Bentley, and Lamborghini dealerships so they are used to unique paints... Hopefully never have to bring my R there!

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Hmmm. I would generally agree with you but one of the variant formulas for AG calls for DX821 which is PPG's flop adjuster...not sure you would need flop adjuster if you weren't dealing with some level of...wait for it...flop :doh::confused::thumbsup:
Interesting....this is the first I've heard of a solid color needing flop adjuster. Must be some really funky pigment.

:cool:
Sponsored