Sponsored

What should I do next to get rid of the "unsettled" rear suspension?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I knew this thread was going downhill as soon as the OP mentioned rear suspension.

So everyone who ever spent a dime on a rear brace or alignment dowel shows up and says you have to do all that.
the alignment dowels + support bushes or a BMR kit for me is a must do not only it really locked out the IRS from movement but helped with 0.5 sec lap times improvement. I did that as only IRS mod and it did added NVH mostly over bumps as it communicates the road imperfections more through the back of the seat.

This Season I did the FP Knuckle to toe link bearing mostly because my bushings were torn and very annoying. I also added Steeda toe-links to help with alignments. This was great mod as I now can put power down much easier and the car corners and exit turns like it's on rails. It makes it super predictable on the track as I don't have to worry about my rear sliding on me because of bushing deflection. However this also added a bit of NVH mostly at low speeds in the form of a bit more whine nothing that a good music can't hide though.

CR151S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP M6
Ha! Yeah I’m new (sarcastic tone here) 🤣.

Fair point, if you’re already dropping it for the lockouts there’s no harm in adding the dowels. FWIW when I did my Steeda IRS braces I didn’t have to make any adjustments to the IRS to get them to fit properly. Maybe I have a unicorn car? 🤭
Mine was dead on as well. I still consider it peace of mind.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If its extra unsettled, check the hubs for play.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mine was dead on as well. I still consider it peace of mind.
Yeah there’s no harm in doing it that’s for sure. I have a set, just haven’t installed them. Was going to if I needed to make adjustments to the subframe when I did the IRS braces but everything was dead on so I left it.

But as WD pointed out, the dowels don’t do anything as far as any potential subframe movement while driving. Its sole purpose is to keep everything aligned exactly the same every time the subframe is dropped (and/or to get it lined up right the first time if it’s way off from factory).
Sponsored