What are the OEM Component differences amongst all models

mookieit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
mustang 2015 v6
I am planning to consider modding my V6 with candidate components that Ford has put on all its models.

Like for example, I installed the strut tower brace and to my surprise, I noticed improvement on the handling. Next I am planning to install the lower K brace.

To install other components, I need to know what those components are and was wondering is there a comprehensive list where I can see what components with any differences each model has?

I will be considering the cost, difficulty of installing and benefit, to decide what to install next. Also may consider non OEM for the parts.

I only street drive my V6.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The entire chassis and interior components are interchangeable from 2015-2017, regardless if it’s a V6, EB or GT. And to clarify on that, what I mean is if you get aftermarket components that are for a GT they can be bolted up to your V6…where in some instances it’s a direct swap with no mods needed.

If you’re wanting to get larger brakes, then yes you would need to swap other surrounding parts for fitment.

There’s no way anyone here can list ALL the interchangeables or parts that will work between the platforms. But as said above, the S550 was very similar between all the platforms where probably about 85-90% of the aftermarket “same” components can be bolted up. (Ie: seat swaps, door panel swaps, console swaps, SYNC swaps), then getting into suspension (springs, struts, shocks, F and R control arms), etc etc…. Body panels can swap over, depending on what it is and from what model. Rims can swap out…

The main major difference between the GT, EB and V6 from 2015-2017 was the drivetrains (engine mainly and the engine harnesses/modules/As Built). Other than that, they were all the same shells and floor pans/chassis design.

Jumping ahead to the 2018-2023 redesign - yes trying to use 2018+ on a 2015-2017 you may run into issues swapping parts due to BCM/module/PCM variations that came about in 2018 forward AND of course exterior body components that changed with body panels (mainly front clip).

That’s ^^^ just the quick of it…. I’m sure others will chime in or provide better intricacies if needed.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have been building my track rat V6 (also my daily) for the past 2 years, and gathering tons of advice from this forum mainly, but also Steeda, other people on track/autox events, and my neighbors (mechanics).

Depending on what you are planning to do with your V6 (other than probably street drive as you said), if you have a certain part or area you want to improve, please @me and I will respond with an appropriate route we have taken or would have taken per advice we learned!

@Cobra Jet that is one of the best summaries I've ever read!

OP
OP
mookieit

mookieit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
mustang 2015 v6
I have been building my track rat V6 (also my daily) for the past 2 years, and gathering tons of advice from this forum mainly, but also Steeda, other people on track/autox events, and my neighbors (mechanics).

Depending on what you are planning to do with your V6 (other than probably street drive as you said), if you have a certain part or area you want to improve, please @me and I will respond with an appropriate route we have taken or would have taken per advice we learned!

@Cobra Jet that is one of the best summaries I've ever read!
Thank you , will reach out to you for advice.

I am interested in improving handling, reliability and all OEM cosmetic/appearance updates.

Anything around performance, I am not really interested in because I feel I have already enough power for my driving style.

Like I do want to install one of the high trims quad exhaust. I want to do it mostly for appearance, but I like the idea that it will sound better and get extra performance.

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you , will reach out to you for advice.

I am interested in improving handling, reliability and all ORM cosmetic/ appearance updates.

Anything around performance, I am not really interested in because I feel I have already enough power for my driving style.

Like I do want to install one of the high trims quad exhaust. I want to do it mostly for appearance, but I like the idea that it will sound better and get extra performance.
1. Handling, reliablity, OEM cosmetic updates? I can help with the first two, but the third is a waste of money...the 2018+ cosmetics do *not* fit 2017 back models in regards to grille, hood...maybe bumper with modification but undertray attaches at different points...lots of money. Handling and reliability I can certainly help with though. Or I am completely misunderstanding what you mean by ORM cosmetic.

2. What do you mean by performance? As I would say handling is a huge part of performance...do you mean power?

3. Another don't waste your money thing. You can read my post in another forum thread about my quad tip conversion with a full custom exhaust. Custom exhaust is the way to go. I will try to find the link. Here are old pictures of my quad exhaust.

image02.jpeg

iamge03.jpeg

image01.jpeg

Sponsored

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase

Link to sound bite of my custom quad exhaust and my youtube if you want to follow the adventure. :)

OP
OP
mookieit

mookieit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
mustang 2015 v6
1. Handling, reliablity, OEM cosmetic updates? I can help with the first two, but the third is a waste of money...the 2018+ cosmetics do *not* fit 2017 back models in regards to grille, hood...maybe bumper with modification but undertray attaches at different points...lots of money. Handling and reliability I can certainly help with though. Or I am completely misunderstanding what you mean by ORM cosmetic.

2. What do you mean by performance? As I would say handling is a huge part of performance...do you mean power?

3. Another don't waste your money thing. You can read my post in another forum thread about my quad tip conversion with a full custom exhaust. Custom exhaust is the way to go. I will try to find the link. Here are old pictures of my quad exhaust.

image02.jpeg

iamge03.jpeg

image01.jpeg
Beautiful car.

Typo on ORM cosmetics, I meant OEM cosmetics, like pleather covered side panel on center console or pleathered center console.

About more performance, yes, I meant more power/HP

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Beautiful car.

Typo on ORM cosmetics, I meant OEM cosmetics, like pleather covered side panel on center console or pleathered center console.

About more performance, yes, I meant more power/HP
Appreciate it, she has been a work of love..and money.
EA315B3A-7ACE-4926-A4F5-B5D9792F8923.jpeg

For interior items, visit a place like eBay or thepartsfarm.com. Anything junkyarded is worth taking a peak at for that value on updated interior items. I would argue get your stuff done by a professional though with real leather…pricey but the customization….

At least get a tune by MPT (…ask me why I like them). It will make the car feel totally different.

Important note on reliability: I heavily advise you to run only 91 or higher. My V6 was knocking on 87 when I bought her second hand from an elderly neighbor. Switched to 91, no issues. For some reason these engines like/need 91.
Sponsored