Sponsored

What’s your Ford dealership charging for an oil change?

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I don't have all day to wait around for dealer grease monkeys to maybe get around to doing it when it suits their fancy.
Ford is going in the direction of having the service centers move to vehicle pickup and deliveries. No waiting around but also no car to drive haha. It means you also have to trust someone to drive your car.
Sponsored

klink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS, 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT
When they started charging over $100 for an oil change, I just bought race ramps and started doing myself and never looked back.

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
My homegrown mechanic does mine... however, my wife was talked into buying three oil changes for $99 at the Jeep dealership. She didn't keep up with the number she used and I was hit for $102 for 1 oil change today. No more. Mobil 1 and a filter is close to $55 at Walmart.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
$151 full synthetic, the works last month SF Bay Area. Down from $200+ last year.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Find a good local shop, if you absolutely cannot do it yourself. I wouldn't let a dealership change my wiper blades, much less perform a service that has the potential to destroy the engine. Local shops have a reputation to uphold, and generally owners that are much more involved. Dealerships don't gaf about your car, and can easily absorb financial mishaps. Their primary focus is selling cars, whereas a local repair shop only hase one objective, which is repair/maintenance.

Sponsored

526 HRSE

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I pay whatever oil costs. 5w50 aint cheap.

1715213452702-pd.png

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
Anyone know how much a transmission fluid change should cost at the dealership? A 10r80 transmission.

Sycostang67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang, 2015 Mustang, 2001 Ram, 2012 Wrangle
The last dealer oil change I had was on my 06 GT about 4 years ago. It was free as I just bought the car but the price would have been north of $140. The wife’s Jeep used to go to the dealer when it was buy 3 and get 1 free for $75. I work with auto parts and that was cheaper than doing it myself with my discount. When they raised the price to 3 for $99, I started doing it myself. The 2015 is 800 miles away from its first oil change on my watch, almost 10k miles. I imagine the supplies will cost me $50-70 as I’m not sure how much oil I will need yet.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
right at $90 for 5W-30 Synthetic blend.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Anyone know how much a transmission fluid change should cost at the dealership? A 10r80 transmission.
I had Ford do a " complete flush" on my 2021 about 6 months ago and it was $270 in Georgia. Bad part was when I picked it up they tried to change me $435 but when I questioned it " Oh let me fix that" which left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My dealership keeps advertising "the works" for $50 but of course in the fine print it's max 5 quarts of conventional oil. So I'm sure it would be 3x that if I was dumb enough to go in.

I bought a 12 pack of FL500S years ago and will just keep doing it myself for the cost of oil lol

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
About $135 Canadian this time last year. Going in this month for another will see what if any changes in cost have occurred. I have no problem with that cost for what I drive the car has been really cheap to maintain thus far 5 years in.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
$85~ which includes tire rotation / mutipoint inspection / 10 qt 5W-20 and Filter.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Find a good local shop, if you absolutely cannot do it yourself. I wouldn't let a dealership change my wiper blades, much less perform a service that has the potential to destroy the engine. Local shops have a reputation to uphold, and generally owners that are much more involved. Dealerships don't gaf about your car, and can easily absorb financial mishaps. Their primary focus is selling cars, whereas a local repair shop only hase one objective, which is repair/maintenance.
I wouldn't agree with all of this. I worked for the service department at a large Ford dealership.

The dealership definitely does charge more. For Quicklane (Oil changes, most fluid changes, tires, etc.) its hit or miss if you get a decent tech as they range from very limited car experience (first automotive job) or someone who has been there for 5 years and works on 2 cars at once. Like you said the dealership can eat mistakes. If a tech forgets to tighten a lug nut and the wheel comes off and your car is damaged, the dealership just takes care of it. If a tech accidentally drops something in your cylinder while doing a spark plug change, the dealership gets you a new engine. If your car is in for mainline service those techs usually have at least a year of dealership experience and have to get specific training for whatever area they work in (lots of the experienced guys will just focus on one section of the car), and they also have to shadow an experienced mainline tech for at least a few months from what I saw.

At least at my dealership the service (+ parts) and sales were pretty separate. The service side had to be profitable, get/keep customers, and keep Ford Corporate happy. They definitely did care about your car and you. The service department wants to make you happy so you leave good reviews and keep coming back for service. They really don't care if you buy a brand new ford every couple of years.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
My dealership keeps advertising "the works" for $50 but of course in the fine print it's max 5 quarts of conventional oil. So I'm sure it would be 3x that if I was dumb enough to go in.

I bought a 12 pack of FL500S years ago and will just keep doing it myself for the cost of oil lol
I think what they do is use the $50 for the 5 quarts and add any extra quarts on top of the price. And ofc this is only for semi-synthetic oil, full synthetic raises the base price.
Sponsored