Sponsored

Water Injection

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Anyone consider it? I had it on my twin turbo G35 but never had it for an N/A application. I'm thinking about it for the cooler intake temperatures. My car feels noticeably more powerful versus the warmer days... and we haven't reached the summer yet.
Sponsored

GT P-TREE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Would be an interesting experiment. I'm not too keen on water/meth injection because of the hassle of having to fill it and always be worried about it being full. Same reason I'm not in the nitrous camp. I like power all the time, not situational. But, done right, would have some good results.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You would be 1000% better off with an e85/flex fuel tune.

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
Would be an interesting experiment. I'm not too keen on water/meth injection because of the hassle of having to fill it and always be worried about it being full. Same reason I'm not in the nitrous camp. I like power all the time, not situational. But, done right, would have some good results.
It works good on forced induction cars. I ran 50/50 meth/water injection on my WRX years ago before E85 really got popular. It's a real PITA though. From setting up the system to worrying about keeping the tank full. Then, you gotta worry about the system failing and grenading your engine. Granted the good ones have failsafes but everything can still break.

Much easier just to put E85 in your tank and call it a day.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
You would be 1000% better off with an e85/flex fuel tune.
The closest E85 pump to me is over an hour round trip without traffic. So... nope. Glad we are getting 92 instead of 91 octane now for our premium. This is because there is pretty much no specialty fuel in the area unless you go to pure race gas.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I know you guys are talking about tuning to water injection.. I have no intention to do so. Just something added to lower intake temps and improve octane a small amount.

Goofball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 R
Man you don't need to mess with that stuff on these cars.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I know you guys are talking about tuning to water injection.. I have no intention to do so. Just something added to lower intake temps and improve octane a small amount.
The IATs I have seen are not high at all, <90F so not sure if they are even high enough to vaporize the water to get a considerable cooling effect. And how exactly will it raise the octane levels? (if you are just using water and not any meth mixed in)

Water injection for a turbo application is much different than NA since the intake charge is being heated as its compressed in the hot turbo. I might try mixing in a few gallons of E85

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
water injection increases the effective octane for any motor, Its just that forced induction motors are the most in need of more detonation resistance. Most of them run unfavorable timing even with good gas in portions of the RPM band just to deal with more boost than the motor is comfortable at that exact moment. Also of course more air/fuel mass flow is more power even if you have safe but inefficient timing.

In this case, given the rated power is made on 93 pure gasoline, not the 91 octane E10 several states has for its best pump gas.... Water injection might be worth actual power with no other mods. I'll leave it up to you if its cost effective power.

Oh and I know someone who put water injection on his car for better MPG. Turned on when going up hills and supposedly it made a pretty huge difference. Be interesting to see if doing it on a modern motor would change the cruising mpg.

OP
OP

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
water injection increases the effective octane for any motor, Its just that forced induction motors are the most in need of more detonation resistance. Most of them run unfavorable timing even with good gas in portions of the RPM band just to deal with more boost than the motor is comfortable at that exact moment. Also of course more air/fuel mass flow is more power even if you have safe but inefficient timing.

In this case, given the rated power is made on 93 pure gasoline, not the 91 octane E10 several states has for its best pump gas.... Water injection might be worth actual power with no other mods. I'll leave it up to you if its cost effective power.

Oh and I know someone who put water injection on his car for better MPG. Turned on when going up hills and supposedly it made a pretty huge difference. Be interesting to see if doing it on a modern motor would change the cruising mpg.
Funny you say that. Stock my TT G35 was around 23-24mpg, but I never understood why it got into the 30's after going twin turbo and adding 190whp.. maybe that is what it was. At the least this is a mod that could not hurt, I'll probably do it and report back on the results.

Sponsored

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
Way back in the '70s we put a 429 in an F350 for a trailer pulling rig. The engine was originally built for a stationary industrial application where it ran at a constant rpm. We had a severe detonation problem and finally cured it by adding a water injection system. I'm not saying it raised the octane level, but it obviously slowed the combustion rate or it wouldn't have cured the knock. BTW, this truck had tons of torque and not too bad on fuel mileage.
:ford:

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
One of the items I can actually record is Intake Air temp.

Feb 29, 2016
Outside temp ~70F

idle: 100-105F
driving 80-64F

OP
OP

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
From what I'm reading intake temps will drop about 20 degrees with meth/water injection. I do notice a considerable difference on the colder days..
Sponsored