Sponsored

Voltage Readings High

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Today i decided to switch my center dash to the mutli gauge readout and noticed something odd. Everything was changing and adjusting except for the Voltage reading which was sitting at 14.5 . I think, OK its just started let me drive it, but about 5 minutes in between highway and town driving it did not change. It was a little colder this morning in the 40s but nothing extreme.

Every ford and mercury i have ever had, had a bad alternator sometime in its life. My last mustang was overcharging at certain times and eventually cooked and blew out the battery leaving me to clean up the acid mess. Am i seeing another sign of a battery being overcharged here or is this normal? I dont want to have to clean another battery mess up especially in the tight engine compartment these have on a 6 month old car.

Thanks
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Prior to today when is the last time you started the car and drove it a sufficient distance/time to fully charge the battery?

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Its driven daily, it was resting for 12 hours between my commute. 14.5 isnt sky high but it seems high enough especially when it stays there.

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
The voltage of the charger has to be high enough to push a useful level of current through the battery's internal resistance. In practice that means a few volts higher than the battery normal output voltage. Thus for a 12V car battery the charger must put at least 14 volts or thereabouts across the battery.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
driving around today it was both 14.3 and 14.2 on the way home. pretty static both ways. Im guessing this isnt like when you put a voltmeter across the battery and rev it. I know on my 2007 GT it was hitting 14.8-15 something and overcharging badly.

Husam92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Roush Mustang
My car is having similar problem though its 12.5-13.1 when idle, as soon as I hit the throttle the voltage jumps to 14.7+ and sometimes gets up to 15V .. What could be the problem?

SWETRID

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 California Special
Voltage will vary from about 11.9-14.8 because these cars have a pcm controlled alternator. It will only charge when necessary to help with battery/alternator life and fuel economy.

OP
OP
Souldriver

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
So some days its varying from 12-14 and i see it move as i drive. And other days, like today im on the highway and its stuck at 14.5, got off the highway and its at 14.6 and stayed there even while idling a but before parking. Ill keep an eye on it bc if you ever had to deal with an overcharged battery its a mess.

Sponsored

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
My voltage is at 15 and only goes as low as 14.5 ever since I got my whipple installed.
I wonder if this is why the dual fan relay keeps failing 🤔

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
My voltage is at 15 and only goes as low as 14.5 ever since I got my whipple installed.
I wonder if this is why the dual fan relay keeps failing 🤔
It’s not. Most of your OEM 12V systems components are made to operate in the 11-16V range. You have a current draw problem. Insufficient wire gauge, or poor continuity or just excessive multi device draw on that circuit.

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
It’s not. Most of your OEM 12V systems components are made to operate in the 11-16V range. You have a current draw problem. Insufficient wire gauge, or poor continuity or just excessive multi device draw on that circuit.
I ended up taking it to the dealership. It was normal before the whipple installation even with the aftermarket sound system.