UPR rear shock mount noise

Wamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Bought a set of UPR rear shock mounts from a forum member a few months ago. Finally got my Viking Warrior shocks in the mail, and got them installed this week.

8241DC37-B077-4004-BF20-6B83EE34A388.jpeg

There seemed to be a tiny bit of play in the spherical bearing within the actual shock mount. Once I noticed the play, I disassembled and confirmed the play was in the bearing itself.

Now installed, they make a crazy racket over every little bump. Sounds like a midget with a hammer.

Anyone else had this noise develop after putting a bunch of miles on the UPR shock mounts? Is it possible to replace just the bearing?
Sponsored

Hotpart.com

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002, 2006, 2015 Mustangs
I'm not familiar with the UPR shock mounts but most likely it's pressed in from the bottom and held in by a some sort of c-clip or a spirolox ring.

On a side note I would put some bump stops on those rear shocks so they don't bottom internally and tear the sheet metal the mount is attached to.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I had an upper mount from another vendor develop play like that.

switched to some J&M mounts and after manually fixing the damn body bolt mount holes which were not quite true, they’ve been strong and the bearings have held up really well.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I had an upper mount from another vendor develop play like that.

switched to some J&M mounts and after manually fixing the damn body bolt mount holes which were not quite true, they’ve been strong and the bearings have held up really well.
How did you repair the body mount bolt holes? Did they tear with or without bump stops?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wamp

Wamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Any update info. on this?
I switched back to the stock mounts, noise went away.

The press-fit bearing had a tiny bit of play, and it made for a wild amount of vibration.

The UPR mounts are still sitting on my shelf.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I switched back to the stock mounts, noise went away.

The press-fit bearing had a tiny bit of play, and it made for a wild amount of vibration.

The UPR mounts are still sitting on my shelf.
Replace the bearing and I bet they'll be fine. That's the thing about spericals, they don't last forever. 10-20k miles on the road is a normal service interval.

OP
OP
Wamp

Wamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Replace the bearing and I bet they'll be fine. That's the thing about spericals, they don't last forever. 10-20k miles on the road is a normal service interval.
I emailed UPR about it last year, and they suggested I send them in for inspection and repair. Just never got around to it.

But yes - if you replaced the bearing, that play would theoretically be gone.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
How did you repair the body mount bolt holes? Did they tear with or without bump stops?
car body was fine, but the holes on the upper shock mount were not quite drilled in line with the threaded holes on the body so I had to get a dremmel in there