Semper Fi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Talk about one lucky dog.

I decided to cruise on over to our local Ford dealership, Saturday morning, to ask about what goes into ordering a 2017 GT350 (or an R version). Ordering something like this was a complete alien process to me. Not sure how your dealer operates, but mine went something like this:

• Put $3000 down to join a waitlist (non-refundable)
  • Dealer creates orders based on allotments
  • It becomes a first come, first serve distribution

That sounded pretty nuts to me. How do you go about ordering a specific load out? If they get 2 cars and none of them match... I'm waiting for another year.

Anyway, this dealership got 2 allotments for the GT350 and 1 for the GT350R.

He basically said getting an R, even next year, would be next to impossible. The owner hooked his buddy up with the GT350R (who paid $20k over MSRP). This same buyer also picked up a Ford GT (!), sooo... hard to compete with that.

They got a blue GT350 (no stripe, no idea on the package) that was already spoken for (gone within an hour of arrival, so I wouldn't have caught it in person). All of the sales guys I spoke to kept saying how awesome it looked. None of them were allowed to touch/sit in it.

The second allotment was a black GT350 + Tech (white stripe) which was spoken for and would be delivered early this week.

Again, no biggie. Wasn't holding my breath on finding one in my area, let alone one at MSRP. I was looking to 2017.

The wife & I tossed so many questions at the sales guy about this buying process that he ended up bringing in his GM to help clear things up. The sales guy had about 5 months under his belt.

The GM filled in the gaps while mentioning that he HAD a black/white stripe GT350 available, which would be delivered soon... The other sales guy looked stunned, "You're kidding, right? I've been telling people it's spoken for." This sales guy even told ME it was even spoken for... oops?

Well, shit! Insert, dilemma. This would be the 350 I get if I couldn't get the R. The R looked next to impossible to get. Do I grab this sucker now or risk not getting it next year?

There's a big damn reason why I wanted to wait... I've owned automatics! My family owned automatics (minus my mom's '80 mustang, but I was way too young to mess with that). Friends? Automatics. Of course those that I know now, who own a manual, don't drive junk cars. I've always wanted a manual, but those stars never lined up.

The wife & I also wanted to update our home before this adventure.

So we drove away to hang out at Starbucks to think it over...

Learning manual is not going to be an issue. Best motivator to learn how to drive one has to be owning one! I can find another car (however difficult that might be). I can have a good buddy to walk me through it all. If I excel at anything it's this type of thing. Sounds nuts, but whatever. I'd let him save my ass by getting the car off the dealer lot & into my garage. While it'll take a while to truly appreciate this car, it's a good thing I plan on keeping it for a very long time.

Given that the lady is an Interior Designer, we can figure out how to get the house updates done.

We toss a text to the sales guy... https://2982-presscdn-29-70-pagely....uploads/2015/04/Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

So! I, unexpectedly, have a GT350 to pick up this week, wasn't boned by ADM, and am counting those blessings. Those stars aligned perfectly... almost. It's about to storm real bad in the region (uh, hello, November?). Fingers crossed on the dealer/trucker protecting that sob.

Anyway! Thought I'd share the adventure. Have a killer week folks.

:cheers:

:ford:

It's also worth pointing out that this GM last heard 2016 production numbers: 300 GT350s and 50 Rs.
Sponsored

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river
Congrats! RE: the production numbers, the standard GT350's will be much higher. I think they are nearing 2000 in production/queue already. Not sure about the R's.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So you got a car that's soon to be delivered at MSRP? I'd say that's a score.

He should have been able to provide the VIN number and documentation. Make sure you have everything in writing. You could use the VIN number to verify what he's saying and make sure he isn't just signing you up to a "hopeful" allocation.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Nobody has bought a Ford GT yet. Previous owners will be given a chance to own one. Ford will pick the owners and the owners will pick what dealership. This will avoid any ADM's On the Ford GT. More info on this in jan. There are over 5000 owners and 500 being made each year. Again luck factor.
Did you pay a ADM ? Congrats on your lucky deal. Some of us have been waiting 3 to 6 months for our cars. Just gets under your skin how long it takes to get a mass produced car.
The order process on this car has been a total nightmare for some. Some people have had their car produced and it's just sitting there for 3 months in the parking lot. You were in the right place @ the very right time with a uninformed salesperson and stupid dealership with no waiting list for cancelled orders.

Last edited:

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Any dealer who asks for a non-refundable deposit, let alone a deposit just to get on a list, should be avoided like the plague! Even if they order the car you want and to your specs, and you end up not taking delivery of the car, they will still be able to sell it to someone else.

Sponsored

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Congrats on the car, sounds like right time and place.
Can't wait to see pics and your thoughts on it.

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Way to go and congrats!

OP
OP
mcgraw

mcgraw

Semper Fi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So you got a car that's soon to be delivered at MSRP? I'd say that's a score.

He should have been able to provide the VIN number and documentation. Make sure you have everything in writing. You could use the VIN number to verify what he's saying and make sure he isn't just signing you up to a "hopeful" allocation.
Yea, I do have the VIN. We've gone through the purchasing process at this point. It was shipped a day after the blue car shipped and that car showed up on Friday. We'll see...

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I think the reference to 300/50 production #'s was the current volume produced which correlates to the Excel data @ Spa2k gave us a little while ago.

Congratz Bro!!!

OP
OP
mcgraw

mcgraw

Semper Fi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Nobody has bought a Ford GT yet. Previous owners will be given a chance to own one. Ford will pick the owners and the owners will pick what dealership. This will avoid any ADM's On the Ford GT. More info on this in jan.
Did you pay a ADM ? Congrats on your lucky deal. Some of us have been waiting 3 to 6 months for our cars. Just gets under your skin how long it takes to get a mass produced car.
The order process on this car has been a total nightmare for some. Some people have had their car produced and it's just sitting there for 3 months in the parking lot. You were in the right place @ the very right time with a uninformed salesperson or stupid dealership with no waiting list. Be carefull about this sales order. There might be another salesperson with a waiting list that will cancell you out.
That's incredibly frustrating. I feel lucky, for sure. I personally started digging into buying a car a few weeks ago and now I'm here. Shit is crazy. Now to hope that this deal doesn't go south for some reason...

Sticker for the curious http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FA6P8JZ5G5520229

Sponsored

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Any dealer who asks for a non-refundable deposit, let alone a deposit just to get on a list, should be avoided like the plague! Even if they order the car you want and to your specs, and you end up not taking delivery of the car, they will still be able to sell it to someone else.
Not to mention that he said the salesman said that they would be getting 2 2017 GT350's and a GT350R, You have to get 3 not 2 GT350's to get an "R"

OP
OP
mcgraw

mcgraw

Semper Fi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Not to mention that he said the salesman said that they would be getting 2 2017 GT350's and a GT350R, You have to get 3 not 2 GT350's to get an "R"
Part of me wonders if they are actually getting more 350s. It's a massive dealership & they did boast about being one of the top ford dealerships. Who knows. Not sure I care much about those details.

OP
OP
mcgraw

mcgraw

Semper Fi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Not sure I care much about those details.
Part of me cares enough to be tempted in pinging that sales guy to let me know if they do... for a friend. :shrug:
Sponsored