Sponsored

Uneven tire wear on rear tires

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
I have a performance package GT. I've just noticed that the tread towards the outside of the rear tires on both sides of the car is wearing away much faster than the tread towards the inside. It's a little hard to see in the picture, but I used my tire depth gauge and its 4.5/32" towards the outside, and 6.5/32" towards the inside. This only seems to be happening for the rear tires, the fronts are the same depth throughout.

The car only has 6400 miles on it and hasn't been raced or abused at all. Do you guys think that my rear suspension was not set up correctly at the factory? If this turns out to be the case, do you think that Ford will replace the rears for me?

Sponsored

NEED2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT base PP Borla s-type H pipe
I have this same problem. I just noticed this cause I'm changing to winter tires. Definitely something wrong.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
When got mine from the dealer, all tires were at 40psi. They rode like rubber bands. Much better after lowering to 32-34psi which is what I have on all my vehicles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
abie915

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
too much air pressure wears the center ,too little wears the sides

id remove some air if those were mine
I check the pressure almost every time I fill up, so they have always been within 1-2 psi of the recommended 32 psi. If under inflation was the problem, then I'd expect to see similar wear on the fronts as well.

Finally

Old Fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Auto Prem Conv
Probably worth your while to have the alignment checked by a competent mechanic. That doesn't look like a tire pressure issue to me.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It could be split belt inside the tire. Did you drive over some deep potholes? Also being 6.4k miles, the thread is very low on the tires. Have you been having too much fun with the loud pedal and corning at high speeds?
I've done two track days on one set of tires. The outer side was so worn the tires look like cones.

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
I noticed the camber on my stock 2016 is retarded... the wheels are super tipped in at the top.

OP
OP
abie915

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
Update: had the car looked at by the local Ford dealer today. They checked the caster and camber and found that rear toe out out was slightly out of spec (slightly excessive). They did a 4 wheel alignment for me at no charge, but the service manager said that it was not enough to cause the amount of wear that they could see.

I haven't done any burnouts or abused the car in any way, so I pressed for a new set of rear tires under warranty. Apparently the dealership cannot approve new tires for me, so they are going to contact someone higher up at Ford and get back to me Monday.

Sponsored

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Update: had the car looked at by the local Ford dealer today. They checked the caster and camber and found that rear toe out out was slightly out of spec (slightly excessive). They did a 4 wheel alignment for me at no charge, but the service manager said that it was not enough to cause the amount of wear that they could see.

I haven't done any burnouts or abused the car in any way, so I pressed for a new set of rear tires under warranty. Apparently the dealership cannot approve new tires for me, so they are going to contact someone higher up at Ford and get back to me Monday.

I commend you on trying to get new tires but the pic clearly shows over inflation. Fear not however,if you lower your PSI it will level out a bit
I would go 5-7 PSI down and watch the treads even out in a few thou miles

I have fixed my own cars this way,watching the tread life is part of good maintenance

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Check your alignment that looks like wear due to bad toe. Also check your tire pressure.

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You can also contact the Tire Manufacturer. You should have a 1 year, 12000 mile warranty on them for such things. Depends on when you bought it, of course.

G_Money_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PREM PP
Well, here is what my rear and front tires look like. I've got just over 8,000 miles. I have been to one VERY casual HPDE track event, otherwise it is my daily driver, and I really don't drive super aggressively. The rear tire wear is very even, but I think it is excessive:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/v4gv50gffo08fbw/AACTpwCWc40aNOo8CwgdZhNFa

Sponsored

Last edited: