TREMEC Swap for Rev-Match Cars - It's Getting Closer

ZZMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP 2019 Mustang GT PP2
I am kind of new here and come from the LS world, and have a 2019 Mustang GT PP2 with the MT82-D4. I understand that the Tremec swap for the D4 cars comes with a litany of issues, the most extreme of which is losing certain portions of vehicle functionality, which I think include Magneride, cruise, and other problems.

My question is, has anybody considered using Arduino for signal simulation to mimic the stock transmissions' signals to the PCM?

If they have, I'll stop, but it doesn't seem like a big leap to me to use microswitches actuated by the gear lever to generate a signal from Arduino to the PCM for gear position.

If this hasn't been explored, maybe I'll fart around with it and see how feasible it is 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Get a ben calimer mt82

OP
OP
ZZMike

ZZMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Get a ben calimer mt82
I was considering it, but reading about QC issues here, and over on the Stick Shift Coyotes FB page has me considering other options. I don't believe this will be too difficult to develop, I'll report back if I make in-roads, or if I just give up 🤣

OP
OP
ZZMike

ZZMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Not a direct answer to your question, I admit, but you could use a Tremec from a Mach 1. That has all the required hardware for ARM/cruise/etc. You may not need to simulate it.
I have thought about this as an option, but the Tremec 3160 has a maximum torque rating of 405 lb/ft in their own technical literature, so bolt on amd power adder folks are are likely going to find the limits of it pretty quickly.

So my proposition may be beneficial for the Mach 1 folks as well.

Thanks for your response, I do appreciate your input.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Not sure if this is part of the answer to what you’re looking for, but I can confirm that the MT82-D4 has a magnet on the shift rail and an external sensor (left side of transmission housing), that I believe are associated with sending signals to the PCM for gear change indications. Perhaps they can be fitted to the T56 to get over those hurdles, but I’m not sure. Here’s the magnet on the shift rail. Maybe Tick Performance or RPM Transmissions can tell you if it’s doeable.

1668452552307.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I was considering it, but reading about QC issues here, and over on the Stick Shift Coyotes FB page has me considering other options. I don't believe this will be too difficult to develop, I'll report back if I make in-roads, or if I just give up 🤣
Give it a shot and be a pioneer. We MT82-D4 owners need other options that are available to us to get more out of our cars. I have my tranny completely disassembled as we speak and can possibly provide pics and/or other info thst you may need to aid you in putting something together.

OP
OP
ZZMike

ZZMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Give it a shot and be a pioneer. We MT82-D4 owners need other options that are available to us to get more out of our cars. I have my tranny completely disassembled as we speak and can possibly provide pics and/or other info thst you may need to aid you in putting something together.
Thanks, I have schematics on the way. Then I'll use a scope to see what the signals look like coming from the sensor. Programming should be a breeze, my biggest concern is packaging it and getting everything to fit unobtrusively.

As it starts getting sorted out, I'll update.

Kona5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
I am kind of new here and come from the LS world, and have a 2019 Mustang GT PP2 with the MT82-D4. I understand that the Tremec swap for the D4 cars comes with a litany of issues, the most extreme of which is losing certain portions of vehicle functionality, which I think include Magneride, cruise, and other problems.

My question is, has anybody considered using Arduino for signal simulation to mimic the stock transmissions' signals to the PCM?

If they have, I'll stop, but it doesn't seem like a big leap to me to use microswitches actuated by the gear lever to generate a signal from Arduino to the PCM for gear position.

If this hasn't been explored, maybe I'll fart around with it and see how feasible it is 🤷‍♂️
I have a write up on using Arduino to make a Shelby styled shift light.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/shelby-styled-shift-light.143463/

Was able to get into the PID through the ODB2 port virtually you can gain access to any information from your car’s computer.

OP
OP
ZZMike

ZZMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I am certain it is feasible to address this gear selection sensor. I am waiting on some technical information to arrive so I can isolate the necessary information with the PCM.

Thanks for the reply đź‘Ť

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Here is the schematic for the selected gear sensor: Power, Gnd, and 4 presumed data lines.
mustang_gear_sensor.jpg

OP
OP
ZZMike

ZZMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Here is the schematic for the selected gear sensor: Power, Gnd, and 4 presumed data lines.
Thanks! I have this information and know what it does and how to get the proper signal(s) to the PCM.

Right now I am working on building a new sensor and packaging it so that it will fit into the Magnum XL and be as Plug 'n' Play as possible.

Right now, the next thing in the list is determining:
• Can the sensor be reused in a different location on the Magnum?
• How much variation in the signal can exist before the PCM does not understand it?

I have reached out for some information on dimensions from a group member and a few engineering articles from Getrag. Everyone appears to be very helpful at this point.

It is doable, there is no doubt. The questions are starting to rotate around what is feasible. I should have proof of concept in 2~3 weeks, then comes the questions of whether or not it is something someone without an MSME can tackle in their garage.

Cheers~

Mike

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Wouldn't the shifter shaft of the Tremec move the same as the MT? ie: shaft moves rearward as the shifter is pushed forward; shaft rotates clockwise as the shifter is pushed to the left.

OP
OP
ZZMike

ZZMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn't the shifter shaft of the Tremec move the same as the MT? ie: shaft moves rearward as the shifter is pushed forward; shaft rotates clockwise as the shifter is pushed to the left.
It moves in a similar fashion. But far from identical, and reverse is on the other side of the highway next to the Howard Johnson's.
A couple of busy weeks coming up with sorting these issues out 🙂

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
It moves in a similar fashion. But far from identical, and reverse is on the other side of the highway next to the Howard Johnson's.
A couple of busy weeks coming up with sorting these issues out 🙂
I am programming an Arduino to simulate an infrared remote (a rare one that is not already supported) and have done some with a PIC (with which I am much more familiar than Arduino). I am impressed with what you are doing because I know : it ain't easy!!!
Sponsored