Sponsored

Trade Mach “up” to a GT350 or keep it and modify?

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
This is what the dark horse should've been...leave the 5.0 to the GT trims, and have what you described as the halo as a base, then a more track focused spec off that base.

Inflation and all things considered, the above, even with the track spec should be under 75K. It's going to be disappointing when they (most likely) just give us a 95K starting, supercharged or twin turbo halo car, with nothing in between that and the dark horse horse.
But Ford is producing the track focused Dark Horse S and Dark Horse R though, so they aren’t leaving enthusiast hanging entirely 😎

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
This is kinda a mental exercise sort of thing so I get it if you aren’t bored enough to waste bandwidth on it.

I’m determined to keep one manual S550 until they pry the cueball out of my right hand. And I have two A10 S550s in case that happens. I really love pretty much everything about this ‘23 manual Mach 1. But while the Mach 1 is a special Mustang, obviously the 350 is more so and I like special. I’m a pretty day street-only driver so this car is a toy.

So I’m thinking that for what I would spend going up to a real nice ‘19-‘20 350 I could keep the Mach and do pretty much anything I want to the car, from a little to a lot. Obviously that decreases the reliability and potentially increases frustration, and I’ll stipulate to being old and impatient with inanimate things.

I’m not so much asking what I should do but I’m curious what you guys might do, and why.
If I was in your position with those three cars I'd probably sell the vert and the manual Mach and get a GT350R or I would sell the vert and A10 Mach and get a GT500. I thought about getting a GT350 instead of the Mach since I too made the "mistake" of not getting a GT350 new. If I had I would have bought the longest warranty and been very happy for those 8 years. I really enjoy the Mach 1 and plan to be happy with it for that or longer. I do track my cars so that's another consideration. I've heard stories of many parts failing on GT350's due to the vibrations and such. However, they still dominate at a Mustang track event I attend every year (in number of cars and lap times). If I had bought the 18 GT350 I pondered strongly back then I probably would have an A10 Mach now. Mach would get more cruising time with occasional track time and the GT350 would be mostly track with occasional cars and coffee. My plan now is to have the Mach become a track beast over time (no engine upgrades until warranty is over). God willing at some point in the next 5-7 years I'll get a fun car with an automatic transmission to add to my collection (truck will need upgraded in that time as well).

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Here’s a good video that explains their approach pretty well from their chief engineer, Jamal Hameedi.

That’s a good video. Jay Leno had Jamal on his YouTube channel when Jay talked about his 350R (a 2015 R, a rare bird). Jamal was good in that one too

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Today I was following a biker on a Harley on a 35 mph 2-lane road for a few miles. A couple turns and stop signs. Thought I was being respectfully distant and not riding his ass. Got to another stop sign and he moves over to the center line and motions me forward. I pulled up next to him ready to possibly get an earful for being too close and he said hey man just wanted to see what that was behind me, damn that's a good looking car! He keeps talking and I'm watching cars line up behind us... finally when he's good and ready he takes off. Can't believe nobody started laying on their horns but on second thought, maybe yeah I can LOL.

The Mach 1 is good looking and has a certain presence about it. The pecking order debate between Mach's and 350's will never end because they are so similar, but as I said in an earlier post, whichever one you pick, you can't lose.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I look at all of this from different perspective. The GT350/GT350R was conceived as a heritage vehicle to commemorate their entry into sports car racing, with emphasis on lightweight and hot-rodding approach to power. The flat plane crank setup they used gave the car unique sound and power delivery not found on any other street legal mustang. Carbon fiber wheels (like the magnesium wheels used in the 1960s version), and even the base GT350R made from 2016-2018 had most aggressive weight reduction and AC delete for a street legal mustang, for those owners that are 95%track/5%street usage.

the dream car you describe at the end of your post (with the 540 hp cpc 5.2L) is an awesome mustang for sure, but it’s no Shelby.

if you look at porsche’s playbook (the GT3. ; GT3RS), they do the same thing. Those porsche GT cars are lethargic on the street, and have lots of NVH and vibrations, but are appreciated by the same type of enthusiast, and they are true to the porsche GT cars from the 1960s
They could have got creative with the exhaust and saved a lot of headache. For themselves and customers. It was actually stated by someone within the company that the project got too far along to pull the plug.

As far as the gt3(RS) is concerned, funny you should mention that. While the gt3 has plenty of suspension and drivetrain nvh.. the engine itself is smooth as silk to the limiter. If you got out of a 350 and into a gt3, and didn't watch the tach, most every person would hit the limiter, as there is very little vibration straight to redline. The voodoo is marketing genius. Not so much engineering genius. As far as the Shelby thing goes, fortunately I think Ford is done with using the name. I don't drink the Kool-aid. I appreciate what he did for Ford, car enthusiasts and American cars but if the one place on my car that says Shelby, didn't say Shelby, it wouldn't change how I felt about it. People that feel that Shelby had any influence in any of these cars is simply fooling themselves.

received_3204928113130669.jpeg

Last edited:

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
And icing on the cake, for all the reliability of the 2016 GT350R-C, it won its class (beating the Porsche Cayman GT4 among others), its first year, just like Carroll Shelby did with the 1965 GT350R
It also literally buzzed components off the engine and people directly involved wjth those cars actually cpc swapped their personal 350's.. There is a reason they never offered a customer race car with that crank.. if it were actually superior, they would have 100%.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I look at all of this from different perspective. The GT350/GT350R was conceived as a heritage vehicle to commemorate their entry into sports car racing, with emphasis on lightweight and hot-rodding approach to power. The flat plane crank setup they used gave the car unique sound and power delivery not found on any other street legal mustang. Carbon fiber wheels (like the magnesium wheels used in the 1960s version), and even the base GT350R made from 2016-2018 had most aggressive weight reduction and AC delete for a street legal mustang, for those owners that are 95%track/5%street usage.

the dream car you describe at the end of your post (with the 540 hp cpc 5.2L) is an awesome mustang for sure, but it’s no Shelby.

if you look at porsche’s playbook (the GT3. ; GT3RS), they do the same thing. Those porsche GT cars are lethargic on the street, and have lots of NVH and vibrations, but are appreciated by the same type of enthusiast, and they are true to the porsche GT cars from the 1960s
My buddy is on his second GT3RS and has his third coming in next month. I drive them frequently. Lethargic on the street? What?

Ummm, nope!

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
My buddy is on his second GT3RS and has his third coming in next month. I drive them frequently. Lethargic on the street? What?

Ummm, nope!
Yeah, he was just trying to counter my comment about the 350. Which has some pretty tall gears so it's hard to keep would up on the street. The gt3 has tighter gearing and the pdk can keep it in the meat much easier. The 350 vs. a standard coyote car, feels lethargic below 6000 rpm.

Sponsored
OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Yeah, he was just trying to counter my comment about the 350. Which has some pretty tall gears so it's hard to keep would up on the street. The gt3 has tighter gearing and the pdk can keep it in the meat much easier. The 350 vs. a standard coyote car, feels lethargic below 6000 rpm.
I understand that about the 350 and it’s evidently part of the car’s DNA. It’s to be expected, just part of the deal.

But there’s no chance the GT3 could fairly be described in such a way.

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
But Ford is producing the track focused Dark Horse S and Dark Horse R though, so they aren’t leaving enthusiast hanging entirely 😎
I didn't count those as that's a whole other level of enthusiast beyond 99.275% of us on here even :crackup:

But yes, those are rad!

zstanny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 HP; Prior:20 Camaro SS 1LE, 17 GT350
They could have got creative with the exhaust and saved a lot of headache. For themselves and customers. It was actually stated by someone within the company that the project got too far along to pull the plug.

As far as the gt3(RS) is concerned, funny you should mention that. While the gt3 has plenty of suspension and drivetrain nvh.. the engine itself is smooth as silk to the limiter. If you got out of a 350 and into a gt3, and didn't watch the tach, most every person would hit the limiter, as there is very little vibration straight to redline. The voodoo is marketing genius. Not so much engineering genius. As far as the Shelby thing goes, fortunately I think Ford is done with using the name. I don't drink the Kool-aid. I appreciate what he did for Ford, car enthusiasts and American cars but if the one place on my car that says Shelby, didn't say Shelby, it wouldn't change how I felt about it. People that feel that Shelby had any influence in any of these cars is simply fooling themselves.

You gotta warn a guy before posting something so arousing

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

100 percent agree on the vibration in drivetrain with GT350 versus the GT3/GT3RS. But that’s part of the theater and experience of the GT350, and unique character given the firing order, which is different than other FPC configurations used by the likes of Ferrari, and now Corvette. I have met many porsche GT3 owners at Sebring who ended up buying a Gt350 or GT350R to pound around the track, if that’s marketing, then Porsche and Ford are doing something right, in my opinion 😎

Last edited:

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
but back on topic since I finally noticed I’m in the Mach 1 forum, I’ve seen and heard a few of them at Sebring , but otherwise haven’t seen them on the street, a cool Mustang for sure and a rare breed ! In regards to the OP, I would just install a quality set of headers, a tune, and call it a day and enjoy the Mach 1, it’s setup pretty well from the factory (like the GT350) 😎
Sponsored