Sponsored

Trade for different color?

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I was just reading through a thread and saw that some people traded vehicles for a different color. I have a black GT and was considering doing a wrap, but I just can't get the right information about vehicle wraps, and they are costly. Is there actually a way to trade for a different color and not lose your ass on the trade? I have less than 4,000 miles on the car.

If anyone has done this and has any advice, I would appreciate it!
Sponsored

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
I was just reading through a thread and saw that some people traded vehicles for a different color. I have a black GT and was considering doing a wrap, but I just can't get the right information about vehicle wraps, and they are costly. Is there actually a way to trade for a different color and not lose your ass on the trade? I have less than 4,000 miles on the car.

If anyone has done this and has any advice, I would appreciate it!
I'd wrap your car unless you are absolutely certain you will be content with a stock color for years to come.

OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I'd wrap your car unless you are absolutely certain you will be content with a stock color for years to come.
I would go with white. It is impossible to keep black clean. I would be content with white. I like black, but every little imperfection is so annoying. As soon as I wash it, dust all over.

Problem with the wrap is, I can't find anyone that has had a wrap is I would want it to last at least 5 years and I can't find anyone who has had a wrap that long and can confirm it will last. For $2,500+, I don't want it only lasting a few years. I'd rather pay $2,500 to a dealer to swap vehicles and have the paint which I know will last.

bmatt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, 2014 Honda Odyssey EX-L
I had a white car before this one and white shows a lot of crap too, streaks anytime it rains it seems. Silver if you don't like washing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack

White is REALLY good at hiding dirt right up until the water gets on it and concentrates the dirt into areas it is easy to be seen.

I live in a dusty hot environment and during the summer I can go a fairly long time without feeling like I need to wash it. But once some crap splashes up or it rains, it becomes obvious.

Silver is a good color like others have mentioned. I at one time owned 3 silver vehicles in almost the same color as my 2005. My tacoma doesnt get washed very often(like once every 2-3 months) and it is hard to really tell.

As for the 2015. I have never owned a black car, nor bought a car as new off the lot, I know eventually my heart will be broken at the first true scratch or dent... but everyone has to go through it at some point. God it looks good when clean but I get maybe 3 days of driving it before it needs a wash again.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I really love my Magnetic but silver was my #1 color choice, which I passed on because the PP was mandatory for me and I didn't care at all for the black wheels with the silver.

But now that you can get the PP wheels in silver I sometimes wonder if I should have waited. And then there's the OTT stripes with the fade too.

Still, not worth it to me to trade..... :)

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
You will lose money on the trade in but I understand why you want to do it. I have a black mustang as well and it's a b* to keep clean. But you should keep the black.
IMO black is the best looking and most aggressive color for a mustang.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
OP I wouldn't trade it in since you're likely going to take a several thousand hit. I'd either wrap it, dip it, or deal with it.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
My mustang is Oxford White. My 13 was performance white. My 13 was my first white car and absolutely love it. It looks so clean when washed, you can't help but take notice to it. My last 4 cars and 1 was truck was either silver or gray. They were very easy to maintain but I didn't get that satisfaction when it was clean that the white gives me. Silver and gray just kind of always looked the same. Which is why must people like it lol. I could never personally own a black car. My wife's escape is Tuxedo Black but all that metallic detracts from imperfections an swirl marks unlike the Black on the Mustang. So I feel for you.

I would say first thing I would do is take a trip to your dealer and tell them what you're looking to do and see what your loss would be. If it's significantly more than a quality wrap then do the wrap. If it's close then just trade for the color you really want.

Sponsored

DJ Red Barron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Barron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat / 1986 Buick GN
I'd guess you'd lose more than what a wrap would cost. And if you wrap it, you can pick a color that isn't even offered on the Mustang and have something totally unique.

Then, in a few years when you get ready to sell the car, remove the wrap and your paint will look fantastic since it's been protected for years.

OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
Thanks for all the input. I will most likely suck it up and deal with it. I have had a few black Mustangs, but they were all used and not in perfect paint condition so it was never a big deal to me.. this is the first brand new black car I have owned and wow does it bother me when I see things. I had a brand new Fusion last year and it was Silver and I got away without washing it for long periods of time.

White was ultimately #1 choice on Mustang. Unfortunately at my time of purchase, I was out of a vehicle due to an accident and it happened to have 0% and $1,000 going on and this black mustang was the only dealership within 100 miles that had a base GT with manual. All the white's were either premium and/or automatic so it just didn't make sense.

I really would like to do the wrap, I just feel that would be just as much of waste of money as losing my ass on a shitty trade. If I knew for sure I could get 5 years out of a wrap, I would spend the money on it but after all my research, I seriously can't find anyone who has their car wrapped for significant periods of time. I just double checked google and found: https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/2l9j4p/vinyl_wrap_beyond_the_first_year/

Reading through it I also found:
I had a Viper "wrapped" (not entirely) about 12 years ago. In the fine print, the paperwork said that the wrap is guaranteed not to damage the paint as long as it's removed and replaced with new material every three years. After that, it could permanently bond to the paint and would damage (remove) it when the wrap was removed. I don't know which wrap product this was anymore but I remember it was 3M product. That may be an issue for those planning a long-term wrap but do your research as this product may have been superseded long ago.
I also don't want to call install places because they are going to tell me what I want to hear. $3,000 for 5 years would be worth it to me, $3,000 for 3 years would not.

I do love the way black looks, I'm just so sick of washing it all of the time

OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
I would say first thing I would do is take a trip to your dealer and tell them what you're looking to do and see what your loss would be. If it's significantly more than a quality wrap then do the wrap. If it's close then just trade for the color you really want.
Good point. I just wanted to hear a story from someone else who has done it to see how well they were able to negotiate, or not negotiate. I also don't really want to deal with any dealerships... I have never had a good experience with one. I'll think about it. I guess it couldn't hurt to go check it out and see. If I could get a similar equipped vehicle in similar condition and take a $2,000 hit, I would most likely do it.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Ultrakla$$ic did it. Went from black 2015 to a silver 2016--even up. Then again, 15 was a 50th AP car and the 16 is a premium. Oh and he had maybe 50 miles on the 15.

OP
OP

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
[MENTION=17052]Ultrakla$$ic[/MENTION] Have any input on this?
Sponsored