Track wheels

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
Does anyone have a opinion on HRE p101 vs forgeline VX1, forgeline GA1R and the GT350R carbon wheels? I have a track pack on order whenever it gets here and don't care for the stock wheels. Also are any of you going to do any type of mods to your car to track it.

I rarely see HREs on the track. Forgeline yes. On S197 and older Mustangs (I haven't seen any track-prepped s550s), I typically see Jongbloed, BBS Boss, Enkei's.

I run Forgestars because they were proven and recommended by Vorshlag. For the price Forgestars are a solid value. I have bent two wheels from track use in one year but heard thats common with track use regardless of makes.

Friend of mine runs D-Force on his FR500. He loves them...cheap and super light.

For my GT350, I will probably go with N4S R-Specs. Looks like many serious track guys on this forum and BMO are going with them.
Sponsored

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I'm really excited to see there's a lot of interest in the idea from NorCal! I'll get us organized for one or two days in the coming months, and hopefully we can make it a good experience for everybody and turn it into a regular event.
Thank you! Please keep me on the list :)

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
More people need to take safety preparation this seriously. Fire is just as hot at track days or wheel to wheel races, and walls are just as hard!

First-hand experience goes a long way to convincing oneself of the value of safety equipment. The cars just keep getting faster...and the closest tracks to me (LS and Sears Point) are pretty unforgiving old-school tracks built for spectators. I'd prefer to run the likes of T-Hill, Chuckwalla, Spring Mountain, even MMP more regularly than LS / SP.

Last edited:

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
This will be my third consecutive Mustang track car with MM plates. No complaints and they have always worked well. Black Friday sale yesterday for $222 shipped was too good to resist.

curious about the cc plates given that there seems to be camber adjustability built into the cars...have you investigated how much camber you can get with the stock set up? and how much are you looking to get via the plates?

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
curious about the cc plates given that there seems to be camber adjustability built into the cars...have you investigated how much camber you can get with the stock set up? and how much are you looking to get via the plates?
Yes, post 70 http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10457.50

The track suspension setting recommendations are different for the 350 and 350R. You can get enough factory adjustment on rear camber in the S550 cars, but there's no adjustment for the front. If you don't use cc plates, you have to hog the lower strut holes like they did on the Track Tour cars. The problem with that is you're giving up tire width as you are tipping the top of the wheel inboard. The clearance to the strut is already minimal with the factory wheels/tires. So I'm looking to get somewhere between -1.5* and -1.7* up front. I'm planning to use 315s on the N4S R spec wheels and I'm not sure how that changes the geometry. I like to err on a little more negative camber to stretch out track tire life versus cording the outside edges prematurely.

Sponsored

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, post 70 http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10457.50

The track suspension setting recommendations are different for the 350 and 350R. You can get enough factory adjustment on rear camber in the S550 cars, but there's no adjustment for the front. If you don't use cc plates, you have to hog the lower strut holes like they did on the Track Tour cars. The problem with that is you're giving up tire width as you are tipping the top of the wheel inboard. The clearance to the strut is already minimal with the factory wheels/tires. So I'm looking to get somewhere between -1.5* and -1.7* up front. I'm planning to use 315s on the N4S R spec wheels and I'm not sure how that changes the geometry. I like to err on a little more negative camber to stretch out track tire life versus cording the outside edges prematurely.
315s square on 11s and 11.5s?

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
315s square on 11s and 11.5s?
Looks that way. I'd like to go with a 325 in the rear, but Paul doesn't think they'll fit and my friend with the R in that link says the 315s already poke outside the fenders. We're pretty sure the 315 will fit in front, especially with more camber from cc plates.

Stig'sBaldBrother

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 White/blue, track
Forgestar is having a black Friday deal on their F14 style for 35% off. It's not my favorite wheel, but it'll work for the track. I picked up 4 of them, 19x11" ET56 for $1200 shipped. I'll just run 30mm spacers on the front so I can rotate wheels.

https://www.forgestar.com/v2/wheelsf14.php

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgestar is having a black Friday deal on their F14 style for 35% off. It's not my favorite wheel, but it'll work for the track. I picked up 4 of them, 19x11" ET56 for $1200 shipped. I'll just run 30mm spacers on the front so I can rotate wheels.

https://www.forgestar.com/v2/wheelsf14.php
I run the F14s 18x10s now on my Coyote. They are great wheels and thats a smoking deal. You will like them. I did consider going with another set of Forgestars but I want to be like all the other cool kids running N4S R-Specs. :)

Sponsored

Stig'sBaldBrother

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 White/blue, track
I run the F14s 18x10s now on my Coyote. They are great wheels and thats a smoking deal. You will like them. I did consider going with another set of Forgestars but I want to be like all the other cool kids running N4S R-Specs. :)
That's the way that I was leaning as well, but I couldn't beat the price. My previous cars were never setup well enough to get even tire wear all the way around. Hopefully the new one will be better.

I'm planning on having the dealership do the track alignment specs before I pick up the car.

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the way that I was leaning as well, but I couldn't beat the price. My previous cars were never setup well enough to get even tire wear all the way around. Hopefully the new one will be better.

I'm planning on having the dealership do the track alignment specs before I pick up the car.
Make sure you check out Cloud9's comment on this thread on alignment! :) Post some pics!

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks that way. I'd like to go with a 325 in the rear, but Paul doesn't think they'll fit and my friend with the R in that link says the 315s already poke outside the fenders. We're pretty sure the 315 will fit in front, especially with more camber from cc plates.
Cloud9, you got me looking into mm cc plates. Couple questions: are you running alignment specs per your earlier link? Did you buy all the MM suggested hardware? Didn't know those were once and done and I didn't replace them on my current track car.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Cloud9, you got me looking into mm cc plates. Couple questions: are you running alignment specs per your earlier link? Did you buy all the MM suggested hardware? Didn't know those were once and done and I didn't replace them on my current track car.
If I was going to remove them regularly like the caliper bolts on the S197 I would reuse at least once or twice, but since these will stay on for the duration, I will replace with new hardware. It's pretty inexpensive and I have had reused suspension fasteners loosen up, sometimes causing damage. I had a strut shaft nut come loose and strip the threads off the top of the strut on my Boss for example. Looks like they finally went to a locking top nut (good decision for how cheap and important that nut is)

Here are the full track alignment specs for each car:

Sponsored