Sponsored

Track wheels

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
Anyone planning to run 18s on the track? If so, please share brand and size of wheels and tires you know would fit. Thanks!
Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Didn't think 18s fit due to the size of the brakes. There is barely space as it is with 19s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Didn't think 18s fit due to the size of the brakes. There is barely space as it is with 19s

I could barely stick my finger between the caliper bridge and the non-R wheel barrel. There would be very little clearance with 18"s. I've had crap get stuck between a wheel and a caliper at the track. It could have got real ugly.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
I could barely stick my finger between the caliper bridge and the non-R wheel barrel. There would be very little clearance with 18"s. I've had crap get stuck between a wheel and a caliper at the track. It could have got real ugly.
Yup it's similar to the F80/82 M's with CCBs.... the design clearance is less than 5mm. Debris gets lodged and effs up the wheel barrel and/or caliper finish.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1107233

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cortex just got back to me. They said forgeline built some 18s for them that will work. Will be finding out more details next week.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Has anyone seen the post that they listed on the GT350R vs Z28? It shows the Z28 vs the 1Le and they swapped wheels and tires. This was the samething I was wondering. How much difference would the GT350 vs GT350R be on the same track with both cars using the R wheel and tire combo. And how much difference is their between both cars on the same track using the wheels that came on each car. This would be interesting to me. For one much of the suspension is the same on the R and non R. Much of it is in the shock tuning, front spring rates, wheel and tires and weight. I'd like to see a R vs track pack both running the R wheel and tire combo

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone seen the post that they listed on the GT350R vs Z28? It shows the Z28 vs the 1Le and they swapped wheels and tires. This was the samething I was wondering. How much difference would the GT350 vs GT350R be on the same track with both cars using the R wheel and tire combo. And how much difference is their between both cars on the same track using the wheels that came on each car. This would be interesting to me. For one much of the suspension is the same on the R and non R. Much of it is in the shock tuning, front spring rates, wheel and tires and weight. I'd like to see a R vs track pack both running the R wheel and tire combo
At LS track tour, I asked a FP engineer about mods to close the performance gap between R and non-R. He said without any hesitation, tires. Then lighter wheels. He also said run the car in Ford specs and Ford will issue track specs soon.

Has anyone measured ride height between R and TP? I think shorter tires alone makes R about an inch lower. I agree much of TP and R are the same --- I think its just shorter tires, f springs and MR software. Maybe firmer bushings but I think I may skip those for a dual purpose car.

Also read on another thread CCWs fit over Z06's 15.5 in brakes. Surely they can fit over 15s on the GT350.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
At LS track tour, I asked a FP engineer about mods to close the performance gap between R and non-R. He said without any hesitation, tires. Then lighter wheels. He also said run the car in Ford specs and Ford will issue track specs soon.

Has anyone measured ride height between R and TP? I think shorter tires alone makes R about an inch lower. I agree much of TP and R are the same --- I think its just shorter tires, f springs and MR software. Maybe firmer bushings but I think I may skip those for a dual purpose car.

Also read on another thread CCWs fit over Z06's 15.5 in brakes. Surely they can fit over 15s on the GT350.

Gt350 has the 15.5 up front also so they CCW may fit.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

I'm curious that when ford releases the track key if it will also change the parameters of the MR shocks or just engine. Also curious as to why they didn't change the rear spring rates between the two cars. I read that the R has a firmer bushing, but that's the same source that said the R had carbon ceramic brakes so go figure.

OP
OP

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious that when ford releases the track key if it will also change the parameters of the MR shocks or just engine. Also curious as to why they didn't change the rear spring rates between the two cars. I read that the R has a firmer bushing, but that's the same source that said the R had carbon ceramic brakes so go figure.
Suspension tuning included in Track key makes sense. Which means they won't do it. :lol:

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I've tried calling HRE about their P101 wheel and finding the weight in the R sizes but they never returned my call yet.

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250

TraKWeapon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack On Order

I talked to an engineer that tuned the suspension at the Historic races in August. He told me basically the same thing and that lighter wheels with the PSC2 tires would be 90% fo the difference and that's where I'm headed. He did say the slightly lower gearing of the shorter 30 series tires is part of the performance difference that includes acceleration and turn in feel. The shorter tires lower the car 1/2" and the front R springs lower the front another 1/2" compared to the non R. The bushings are the same but the RSB end links are 8mm shorter which stiffens the rear in conjunction with the stiffer front springs.

One member on BMO tried his 18" CCW's from his Boss on his GT350R and they did not fit. I think the calipers have a larger profile than the Z07 so 18's are going to be hard to fit but not impossible. How much do you want to spend? :) The N4S R spec wheels will be a nice option along with the PSC2 tires.

OMGPonies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Track Pack
This is a great idea. I'll try to find someone in California getting the R to try this out with. Already planning to get Thunderhill for a private track day in the coming months.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
This is a great idea. I'll try to find someone in California getting the R to try this out with. Already planning to get Thunderhill for a private track day in the coming months.
I'd be interested in going up to T-hill if I have my car at that time. :)
Sponsored