Track attack! Is it really worth it?

Jb350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 track pack
This question is for guys who have attended the GT350 Track attack, and also have done at least a few HPDE.I've been on fence on whether or not to do the track attack for a few reasons. In a perfect world of course I would go, but I live on the east coast and with travel/hotel it would cost more than an hpde weekend where I would get significantly more track time. Not to mention it would require me to take a few days off work, and I used up all my vacation time for the birth of my daughter. What I'm getting at is, now that I've been signed off to drive solo at HPDE's, is it really worth going to the track attack when I can spend ~$500(with consumables more like $1000, still significantly cheaper than Utah when time off work is considered) for an HPDE weekend and get significantly more time on track. Will I learn a lot from the track attack, or is it pretty much the same coaching I would receive from an instructor at a track day? Help me out guys.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, it's worth it

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
"worth" in the context you're asking about is very subjective. I spent a little more than a grand on travel/lodging/meals/rental car and I'd do it again given the opportunity. It's also in a very beautiful part of Utah (pretty much the whole state is beautiful.)

I think you might regret it if you don't go.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think it was a lot of fun and I'm glad I did it. For $300 ($500 or so including hotel, gas but not including some wear on tires/brakes, etc.) I would get a lot more track time at a local place.

I agree with you it's a lot of money for not very much track time - but also remember you are using someone else's car. My local track charges $300 or so for 20 minutes if you want to use their car. And IMO their cars they rent aren't as good as the GT350. I think the Track Attack is comparatively cheap for using someone else's car. There are some exercises that you won't get at every track, but they are not necessarily going to make you a better driver. The instruction is not that different than what you could get at any HPDE.

The photos, T shirt and Ford-centric quality of the day appealed to me a lot, but I realize some others might not care about any of that.

Sponsored

VOODOO 6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Not sure yet, I'll let you know after next weekend!

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Did the two day the week of September 19th along wit No Pulp and had a blast. Instructors were great and I really enjoyed my time in Utah. You could fly out the day of the reception and fly out after the track attack in the evening. It's not far from the airport and several flew out in the evening after our second day. I don't regret spending the money on any of it. Wish there would have been a third day program that tied in. I'd have done it.

stang302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I can't speak to if it's worth it for an experienced driver, but I know I had a blast. I think experienced drivers, if nothing else, would benefit from beating on someone else's 350 to really see what these cars are capable of. I'm east coast also, and travel costs were $500. That was hotel, airfare, and rental car. We flew in the day before, slept at the hotel, then flew out 8:30pm after the day wrapped up. If you are resilient enough, and could find flights that worked, you don't need to be there the day before. They only have a dinner, and you won't miss anything. You just need to be at the track by 7:45 am. So you could catch a flight after work, straight to sleep at the hotel, do the track attack, catch an evening flight, hopefully sleep on plane ride home, and get home early in the morning. That would allow you to do it with only missing one day of work. Just food for thought. And btw, congrats on the birth of your daughter!

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Yes it was worth it. It's fun to beat up someone else's car.

I turned it into a 5 day vacation and visited a few national parks and Vegas along the way. Utah is a gorgeous state when you pull off the major highways.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Anything like this is worth it if you are a car guy. I will do it next year, but I did M school this year and it was awesome. I'd go to any of these "schools" put on by any manufacturer. I'm sure they are all worth it.

OP
OP

Jb350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 track pack
I guess the way I worded the question was pretty dumb. I know it's worth it and I'll have a blast, my issue is really the cost. My budget allows me to do 4-5 HPDE weekends a season, and the way I calculated it, the cost of going to track attack would take away 2 of those weekends. But after reading your post [MENTION=21785]stang302[/MENTION], If I could manage to do it for ~$500 I'd definitely pull the trigger. I guess if I planned far enough ahead I could find the dates/ flights that worked for me, and keep the cost to a minimum. Thanks guys for your input

sweetchuck2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, DIB, Tech package.
Definitely worth it. I didn't have any vacation time to use when I went, but was able to fly out the day of the reception and then caught a return flight the next evening. Even found time to tour some of Utah. I don't think you would regret it if you can swing it. I would do it again if they would let me.

drainey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt 350, magnetic with white strip
YES
Great to push the GT 350 as hard as it will go and learn the computer settings.
It is so good I would pay for it.
I did the second day in the Boss 302 which was great but would love to spend two days in the GT 3;0
Sponsored