TopGear on new GT350R

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
Meet the hardest ever production Mustang. We said the same thing when the Shelby GT350 appeared last autumn, but it's been almost immediately usurped by this GT350R.

That extra R is crucial, see. This is the stripped-out, track-ready GT350, with the back seats binned and the extreme dieting extending to carbon fibre wheels. You'll definitely be narked if you kerb one of those.

Like the stock GT350, Ford's most powerful naturally aspirated engine ever lies at its heart, with a disregard for rear tyres built in.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/shelby-gt350r-mustang-detroit-2015-01-12

Meet the hardest ever production Mustang. We said the same thing when the Shelby GT350 appeared last autumn, but it's been almost immediately usurped by this GT350R.

That extra R is crucial, see. This is the stripped-out, track-ready GT350, with the back seats binned and the extreme dieting extending to carbon fibre wheels. You'll definitely be narked if you kerb one of those.

Like the stock GT350, Ford's most powerful naturally aspirated engine ever lies at its heart, with a disregard for rear tyres built in.

Producing north of 500bhp and 400lb ft (Ford still won't be drawn on more precise numbers), the 5.2-litre is the company's first flat-plane crank V8. It's the kind of setup you'd normally find on machinery more expensive and exotic than a traditional-recipe muscle car.

But then this is no archaic throwback. Further tech worth mentioning includes an intricate aerodynamics package (with everything from a carbon rear wing to underbody panels), a Torsen differential and MagneRide adjustable dampers, which have been retuned for the lower ride height and 59kg-lighter kerbweight of the GT350R.

Mass has been cut by the removal of equipment, with any part that "did not make the car faster around a road course" considered for the chop, according to Ford. So there's no air con, stereo or boot carpet. And never mind a spare wheel, there's not even a can of sealant. The removal of soundproofing has the added bonus of sharpening the soundtrack, too.

Those shivering at the thought of such a barren interior can take solace in the fact an optional pack brings back air con, an 8in touchscreen sat nav and an audio system. Quite what damage it'll do for your trackday kudos hasn't yet been measured.

The Shelby GT350R would ordinarily be about as punchy and exciting as Blue Oval-badged cars get, alas it made its public bow alongside the headline-stealing, jaw-slackening new Ford GT. That doesn't make us any less excited for a go, though...
Sponsored

Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daily Driver
I think I would take that article with a grain of salt. They don't really know what's coming any more than we do at this point in time. Still think the GT350 will have the same engine, (not as power though). If not, the GT350 would just be a body kit, with the 5.0 unless the articles wright. Then we don't get a gt350. But I think not. Just my opinion. :cool:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I think I would take that article with a grain of salt. They don't really know what's coming any more than we do at this point in time. Still think the GT350 will have the same engine, (not as power though). If not, the GT350 would just be a body kit, with the 5.0 unless the articles wright. Then we don't get a gt350. But I think not. Just my opinion. :cool:

I don't understand what you are saying.

From the article:
Like the stock GT350, Ford's most powerful naturally aspirated engine ever lies at its heart,

Sponsored

FATTBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
I don't understand what you are saying.

From the article:
I thought I was the only one confused by that rambling!

We do know it will be a 5.2L flat plane crank engine, we do know it will be lighter than a "regular" GT350.

What remains to be seen is how much more than 500 HP and 400 ft-lbs of torque it will produce, and how much lighter it will be than a standard GT350.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daily Driver
They say The body shown, is a test mule for the GT350R more or less. That don't sound right to me. To say that the GT350 fcp will be, usurped by the GTR350R,cant be right. You can get many of those options on the GT350R. The 5.2 fpc will have more power for racing, that's what it's made for. It's really a street legal race car. You can option out like a GT350. The GT350 prob wont see ALL those carbon fiber bits, but it will look close to the GT350R prob some kind of carbon composite, not as light. Not to say it wont be good for track days, just not any where near as fast thought. This is just a press release after all and not from Ford. Hope that helps with my explanation? :confused:

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
That's the regular GT350 WITH the track pack I believe.
Yes I posted the link to the original source.

The weight of the Track Pack GT350 is still yet to be revealed. Basically We've got X-B=GT350R

The question I answered was how much lighter the R will be than the GT350.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
They say The body shown, is a test mule for the GT350R more or less. That don't sound right to me.
? Where are you getting this? That isn't posted anywhere in the TopGear article.

To say that the GT350 fcp will be, usurped by the GTR350R,cant be right.
Again, nothing of the sort was posted in the article. The only thing they mentioned being usurped was how hardcore the R is compared to the standard GT350. They weren't talking about how much power the engine makes.

The 5.2 fpc will have more power for racing, that's what it's made for.
It's more likely any race version of the Voodoo engine will be restricted to fit within class rules. The Boss 302 was so restricted that teams were suffering from engine failures.

This is just a press release after all and not from Ford. Hope that helps with my explanation? :confused:
Unfortunately not. No disrespect intended, you are just being very confusing.

Guardstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Nothing Top Gear does is worth my time to watch or read

Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daily Driver
(Shelby) GT350 Not the SVT GT350. Ok I see what you mean DOH. My brain's not working to good today lol. Were all here to learn.
And hey I didn't Take your Questions as disrespectful. I Need to start reading the articles more carefully My fault sorry. Oh well It's all good.:frusty:
Thanks for pointing that out. :cheers:

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
(Shelby) GT350 Not the SVT GT350. Ok I see what you mean DOH. My brain's not working to good today lol. Were all here to learn.
And hey I didn't Take your Questions as disrespectful. I Need to start reading the articles more carefully My fault sorry. Oh well It's all good.:frusty:
Thanks for pointing that out. :cheers:
The GT350 and GT350R are both Shelby branded vehicles from Ford Performance, which includes the formerly standalone SVT engineering staff. The same people work on them. The GT350R is an even more race-oriented version of the standard GT350.
Sponsored