Sponsored

tire noise

lugbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
22 Ecoboost premium, all stock.

Sold my GT, kept the Ecoboost. I drive the ecoboost a lot more; I like it better too for a daily. Anyway it has the stock goodyear tires that came on it, got about 17,000 miles. Rotated at 7500 and just did it on the last oil change. These tires are LOUD. Louder than my truck-which has all terrain tires on it. I realize that these cars are cheaply built but then again so is my truck, and my other car, and the road noise on the Mustang is horrible.

Have any of you noticed the same thing? I mean-this feels and sounds like you're driving an old F350 dually regular cab on 35" Co-op tires or even Buckshot mudders. It sings loudly. I can turn up the radio but then the sound quality of the radio is tarnished by the road noise.

Ideas? Didn't want to have to put tires on it because they still look great, but if I have to, I will.
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Yes mine is loud as well. Taking it next week for an alignment check. Only has 16k, and 10k on the tires I have on it now. Mine are staggered so I can't rotate though. And I have Nitto 555 G2 and they are known to be loud from what I read..

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Any usual wear? I had a cupped tire on a previous car that was loud AF. Depending on what tire you have, it may just be a noisier tire too.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Any usual wear? I had a cupped tire on a previous car that was loud AF. Depending on what tire you have, it may just be a noisier tire too.
I agree, mine is noisy AF too, just in the last 1000 miles. I pulled the wheels before PITS and noticed both fronts are cupping on the inside after only 10K miles. I have an alignment check scheduled for this Wednesday. Gonna have them dismounted and swapped left to right to try and get some more life out of them. I hate the tires but I hope to get one more season out of them since tires are EXPENSIVE AF too :)

Sponsored

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
I have OEM Pirellis on my 22GTCS and they're much quieter than the Goodyear All Seasons I had on my 2020GT Premium but I HATE the Pirellis. They slip at the drop of a hat on dry pavement and are horrible in the rain and tend to hydroplane easily!

I think I'd put up with the extra noise of the Goodyears way before I'd get another set of Pirellis.

OP
OP

lugbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
got it up the lift and looked closer. Front tires are wearing on the inside, and feathering is occuring. So I took it to the dealer I bought both cars at and they kept it for 4 or 5 days and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Service advisor said that the only thing he knew to do was to check the alignment, but went on to say that warranty won't cover that if they don't find a problem. So I started asking questions, as to what could be causing the wear on the insides like that and he said "if you hit a bump it can knock it out of alignment". Well....I ain't no genius, but I've been around the block and if you hit something hard enough to "knock it out of alignment", one you're gonna definitely feel it, two-something's been bent or broke, and three-it'd be mostly obvious. Since they "said" they inspected it and couldn't find anything visually wrong, that rules out #3. I am the only driver and if it gets "knocked out of alignment" that easily, I have no use for this car and it'll go the way of the GT, in other words will be sold and I'll buy something else. I've never hit anything with it, other than a speed hump here and there but usually at 5mph or less. I'm not a "granny" driver, but I am older and much more mature than I used to be. and since I work in a service department, I kinda understand things a little differently than "most" car owners.

At that point I told the dealer don't worry with it and I'll pick the car up and have someone else look at it. Obviously as passive as the service advisor was, he doesn't have much interest in identifying and correcting the issues, so it's gonna have to go elsewhere. Ain't the first time I've had issues with this dealer either. Poor service department, but decent sales guys.

issue still not corrected and I think the source of the noise is the feathering of the inside edges of the front tires. Car drives fine and has no indication of excessive toe out or negative camber, but I also don't have the equipment to get it "spot on".

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
When did Firestone tires come stock? My '18 EB convertible had Pirellis stock. Never really cared for them very much but at least they weren't noisy. Have Continental DWS on it now and am much happier, still not noisy.
Have you tried rotating them front to back to see if that changes the noise?

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Your car has 17k miles on it, there's no way the dealer is gonna warranty an alignment for you, so that's probably why they weren't going out of their way to figure it out.. Get it checked at a good local alignment shop (in my case, my Ford dealer actually had a really good alignment tech surprisingly). You probably have too much negative toe which has caused excess wear to the inside of your tires.

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
Have an alignment done, a lot of these come from factory with toe out especially the PP cars. Mine ground off the inside edge in 10k. Be sure to request 1/16 toe in or it may be in spec and they'll leave the toe out and tell you nothing is wrong. Request an exact amount of toe in or they may leave it as is. Won't drive any different unless you were to drive it track hard. You probably didn't hit anything, it's probably in spec. Jim

OP
OP

lugbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Have an alignment done, a lot of these come from factory with toe out especially the PP cars. Mine ground off the inside edge in 10k. Be sure to request 1/16 toe in or it may be in spec and they'll leave the toe out and tell you nothing is wrong. Request an exact amount of toe in or they may leave it as is. Won't drive any different unless you were to drive it track hard. You probably didn't hit anything, it's probably in spec. Jim
if it came that way, which I believe it did, then that would be a defect in manufacturing and workmanship-which is warrantable.

So on these cars, where does alignment change? What I'm asking here is, how does alignment change. If it just changes while I'm driving, then I'll sell it and get something different. Now if I run over a curb at Mach 2.1, yes that's on me and I FULLY understand that, but it's not hit anything-at all. R/O specificaly says "could not find problem"-but they did not do alignment check, either. Car had already been at the dealer for I think 5 days and didn't bother to call me, text me, or email me at all-I had to call, wait for a call back (which I never once got) and then ended up having to drive over to the dealership. "oh, your car is done". Great, I wonder how long it's been done and why they never bothered to call??

Where in the warranty statement does is specifically state that alignment is specifically excluded? Either it's not there, or I have overlooked it.? Only curious.

as a technician myself, I understand if there is worn, damaged, broken parts but that's not the case here. Alignment does not change unless parts are worn, damaged, or broken, and technician specifically stated that he didn't see anything wrong (is documented on R/O).
Sponsored