Sponsored

Tire losing 1 psi a day

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Could be a bad valve stem...had the same symptoms that you are having on my 2014 Grand Cherokee.
Sponsored

randyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Cold doesn't effect just one tire...

Watch your pressure display closely. If the weather gets colder, your PSI drops down. Start driving on a speed to 30 miles so your tires starting to warm up. Your PSI should start showing higher pressure on your wheels. Here in Canada our warning starts peeping every time when we have minus 25C. After we start driving all is good again.

If you catch a nail --- that's a easier story.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Have you hit a pot hole lately? My dad had the same problem in his F350. Ended up being a hairline crack in the wheel. It was on a 17" wheel and 35" tire. Remove wheel and clean it really good. Take a close look behind the spokes and inspect for cracks. Once we found the crack, we grinded a groove over the crack and welded the wheel. Problem fixed! Just my .02

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Errrr, patch it?

ZXERT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Just had this issue last week. I took the mustang to discount tire as they patch and rotate for free. The car was slowly losing pressure about 1-3psi per night. The discount tire tech found and removed a screw even though it was less than an inch from the sidewall. The car was driving fine before but now I was stuck as it could not be plugged. Discount tire was not able to find the Pzero Nero in my size and said it would be several weeks. Luckily tirerack had them in stock and delivered the tire next day shipping for 15$.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Could just be the valve inside the stem is not tight. Get a valve stem tool..less that $5 and try it first.

Had the same problem on a new car.
^^^^
THIS!

Many folks don't bother to check valve stems, because they don't know that the small internal needle valve is separate from the actual stem (part protruding through rim). Air escapes the valve through the valve stem cap (caps are not air tight, their only purpose is to keep debris out of the valve).

Get the kit, use the tool and tighten up the valve, put on valve stem cap tight and you should be ok.

If there's no visible debris stuck in tire and no bubbles from the water over tire test - it's the valve stem.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
^^^^
THIS!

Many folks don't bother to check valve stems, because they don't know that the small internal needle valve is separate from the actual stem (part protruding through rim). Air escapes the valve through the valve stem cap (caps are not air tight, their only purpose is to keep debris out of the valve).

Get the kit, use the tool and tighten up the valve, put on valve stem cap tight and you should be ok.

If there's no visible debris stuck in tire and no bubbles from the water over tire test - it's the valve stem.
I had to have the dealer to replace one of my wheels due to manufacturing defect. They tried to reuse the original valve stem but broke it so it was leaking 3 psi per hours. I found out by tugging on the valve stem it was leaking. Took it back and they put a new one in.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
It's easy enough to diagnose this yourself. Take the tire off and put it in a large bucket of water or Coat it with soapy water as others have mentioned. It could be a lot of things a leaky tire or bad valve stem. It could also be an aluminum rim allowing air to come out through pinholes. I had to have an older car rim coated with epoxy and rebalanced to seal pinholes.

It's better to know what your problem is before you go for repair so you don't get ripped off or spend money needlessly.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Old thread, but if you suspect a slow leak, just take it to a tire shop. It's not that complicated. A lot of shops will repair (if it can be safely repaired) for free or a small fee.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I just had this problem. Was a screw. 3 different tire shops wouldn't touch it. One said they don't plug tires anymore, another said it was too close to the sidewall, and another said they won't patch/plug a high power car. So I plugged it myself. Been fine for a few weeks now.

Sponsored

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I just had this problem. Was a screw. 3 different tire shops wouldn't touch it. One said they don't plug tires anymore, another said it was too close to the sidewall, and another said they won't patch/plug a high power car. So I plugged it myself. Been fine for a few weeks now.

Tire Kingdom has never given me a hassle about patching a tire, no one (reputable) will "plug" a radial tire.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Tire Kingdom has never given me a hassle about patching a tire, no one (reputable) will "plug" a radial tire.
That's where I first went, Tire Kingdom, they're the ones who mounted and balanced my wheels. Personally I think they wanted me to buy a new tire even tho I didn't buy the tires from them in the first place.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
Old thread, but if you suspect a slow leak, just take it to a tire shop. It's not that complicated. A lot of shops will repair (if it can be safely repaired) for free or a small fee.
^ this

they will pull the tire and submerge it in water and check for bubbles

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
surprised they wouldn't fix that. My old car was a vacuum for road debris. If there was a nail or screw anywhere nearby, one of my tires would find it. That said, they always plugged the tire. I rarely had to buy a tire. But then again, it wasn't "high power car".

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
surprised they wouldn't fix that. My old car was a vacuum for road debris. If there was a nail or screw anywhere nearby, one of my tires would find it. That said, they always plugged the tire. I rarely had to buy a tire. But then again, it wasn't "high power car".
Again, I think they wanted me to buy a new tire. It's not -that- close to the sidewall imo. Either way I'll chance the plug. If it fails I have a spare. Better then buying a new $250 tire when these only have a few thousand miles on them.
Sponsored