Sponsored

Throttle Surging

burndog79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep private
I Love this car. I repeat.... I love this car. That being said,

I've noticed some minor throttle surge in the low gears at low rpm when the motor is semi-warm. Even if I let it warm up for 5 or 6 minutes in the garage at 65°, I feel an odd throttle surge until the oil temperature really gets up. Is anyone else noticing this? I did see in another forum someone else mentioned experiencing this. And i was just wondering if it's happening with all of them. Is it normal? Should I be concerned at all?

Again, I love this car and if this is the downside then I couldn't be happier.:cheers:
Sponsored

bullittman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350 chassis 0387
I Love this car. I repeat.... I love this car. That being said,

I've noticed some minor throttle surge in the low gears at low rpm when the motor is semi-warm. Even if I let it warm up for 5 or 6 minutes in the garage at 65°, I feel an odd throttle surge until the oil temperature really gets up. Is anyone else noticing this? I did see in another forum someone else mentioned experiencing this. And i was just wondering if it's happening with all of them. Is it normal? Should I be concerned at all?

Again, I love this car and if this is the downside then I couldn't be happier.:cheers:
Yes, same thing.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Fuel system and injector impedance change once the injectors themselves get completely warmed up. The tune software should be adjusted for that, but not always effective especially on engines that flow air very well. I know my Whippled stroker motor on my '05 is really funky until it's warmed up and it was tuned by one of the best guys in the country.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I wonder if this is one of the trade offs for having a single intake for both banks instead of the traditional separate intake for each bank on FPC engines?

Would be interesting to see if it's an issue with past Ferraris.

Damn... Ain't that amazing?... Looking on a Ferrari forum for issues your Mustang may have. Lol. ;)

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yes and once it starts surging, you can't apply more throttle to get it to stop.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reading some links regarding the Ferraris, the throttle position sensor seems to be the most common consideration for the problem. If your cars were stored outside for a while I could POSSIBLY see this as an issue but I still wonder if this is just the cold nature of the beast with a single intake FPC, high compression engine.

Would be interesting to see if the Lund guys had this problem before and after their tune.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Can these cars be switched to dual intake and would there be any benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can these cars be switched to dual intake and would there be any benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thought about that... That would incorporate a whole new intake and an extra CAI+MAF. A lot going on there but doable.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Thought about that... That would incorporate a whole new intake and an extra CAI+MAF. A lot going on there but doable.
This article cites space and cost (let alone even more complexity) as a reason they stuck with the single plenum. http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang...-gt-more-insights-on-the-gt350-voodoo-v8.html

On the fresh air side, the Voodoo's intake manifold has a single plenum feeding all eight cylinders at all times — another uncommon sight in FPC V8-land. Typical intake manifolds on FPC V8s carry dual bank-specific plenums or, as found in the Ferrari F430 and 458 Italia, a fancypants two-stage manifold that can couple and decouple its two plenums as desired.

A common-plenum manifold like the Voodoo's has the benefit of being far more packaging- and cost-friendly than a dual-plenum unit. The latter necessitates two of everything else: throttle bodies, ducts, mass flow sensors, filter boxes, intakes, et al, plus the attendant calibration overhead.

Sponsored

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I have noticed this a couple times at low RPMs and not always when the engine is cold. I wasn't too concerned about it yet because with just under 200 miles on the odo I felt it's too early to draw any conclusions. Overall I love this car so far. I will try and pay closer attention to this since it looks like "it's not just me". Frankly I'm much more concerned about oil temps on the track after reading the magazine reports. I personally won't get to see how that goes until spring.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate you guys bringing this to everyone's attention. You can't beat real-world data. The guys at Ford watch these threads, as told to me
By multiple Ford staff at Sebring.

If it is truly a real issue, hopefully a fix will be down the way.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Not sure exactly what you are talking about but given the number of testing miles on this car can't believe this is something new for this engine and not noticed by developers. Any way of checking with Ford Performance and get their input?

OP
OP

burndog79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep private
2700 miles

I don't know if it's important to mention, but I do have almost 3000 on the motor and I did vary the speed dramatically for the first 1000 miles to prevent single position wear. I also did the motor man method with 10 total miles on the odometer.

Did I already mention that regardless I love this freaking car!:cheers:

chuckty101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Shadow Black
I drove my for time today for about 50 miles or so. I also notice the same surging problem on mine. It wants to jerk at low speed, even if you try to give it more gas. I also notice it is very easy to stall on takeoff.
Sponsored