Sponsored

The Coyote has been around for over a decade. We still don’t know what causes the “tick?!”

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
"“shot in the dark” advice that they’ve always had." Of course because people refuse to accept the facts. It's the people that are the problem, another trying to make the car have LMAO every time I read it. Make the old school rumble & deep tone. BIG displacement, high lift cams with long duration valve timing owns that one.

The Exotics also tick & folks whine about those also..... as much as the mustang owners

Talk about a subject that's been beat to death already....quick summation, an IRON block absorbers the noise alum does not.
It’s good to hear you are satisfied with the engine being a black box. Nobody’s forcing you to care. Right?
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Your insight is appreciated here but I’m not yet convinced that this is apples:apples comparison. Mechanical engine noise is fine and even desirable. Porsches (older ones at least…) are often full of personality and texture. The engine noise and a bit of harshness are part of that.

But are there noises that are as sporadic as the Coyote typewriter tick? When there’s an inexplicable noise that shows up out of nowhere, this is usually grounds for an engine teardown. Many of us write off the tick as a quirk and a symptom of a semi-exotic engine at a working man’s price and we let it ride. I can’t imagine paying Porsche money and not taking action to fix this. I could be wrong…
Older Porsche engines were air cooled. You expect them to be noisy. Newer Porsche engines are not that much different than a Coyote engine. If I had as much faith in Porsche engines as you appear to have, I'd probably still own one.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I don’t notice the tick on mine if I have it and I likely do to some degree. But it seems Ceratec solves it if it bothers anyone. I suspect it also quiets a lot of valvetrain noises too since it kind of coats things by the sounds of it.

My sense is that if a noise in an engine is a problem it will continue to get worse. My car makes the exact same noises after over 4 years that it did since new. I’ve got no reason to think it won’t sound the same after four more.

Yes I dislike my 2500 rpm rattle but I don’t let that steal my enjoyment of a truly wonderful engine. I came from the LS world and the Coyote is so much more fun.

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
I have owned around 25 Coyote powered Mustangs and have yet to have one with a tick. I know it’s an issue with the Coyote, however, when you look at the amount of people who own one versus the percentage of people who have the tick, I think it’s a much lower number than people think.

People just don’t start new posts to say “I have a Coyote powered Mustang and it doesn’t tick”. I wonder what the real percentage of the Coyotes have the tick vs the ones that do not???

I don’t know if the tick develops due to how the car is broken in when new, oil brand/flavor, if you live in a warm or cold place, or anything else. I just find it odd that I have yet to get one when I have literally owned 25. I’ve had a couple friends who had the tick but overall, most of my Mustang friends do not have it.

Regardless if you have it or not, I think we all know it’s not an issue, just an annoyance. It would be nice to know what causes it though.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's fairly highly strung and very efficient at turning gasoline into power. The noises at idle are annoying, yes. But as soon as you let it eat? All is cured. It's not even just overpowered with exhaust, the engine just becomes happy.

For the longest time I thought I didn't have the tick, but it turns out I do. It's so quiet that the only way I can hear it is by driving at low RPM next to a wall or something. The 2k rattle is much more annoying IMO.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't start this thread because I think my motor is about to go TU. I didn't start this thread to ask the same old question over again...it was mostly because I don't come around the forums much anymore and I wanted to see what (if anything) the community had learned about this obnoxious phenomenon. What I see is that people have unanimously become comfortable with not knowing and mechanically uncurious. Maybe that comes along with the culture of owning a new car with a warranty...while I have that, I guess I'm out of step. My other "enthusiast" car is from a very different culture where not knowing is a real problem.

I have owned around 25 Coyote powered Mustangs and have yet to have one with a tick. I know it’s an issue with the Coyote, however, when you look at the amount of people who own one versus the percentage of people who have the tick, I think it’s a much lower number than people think.

People just don’t start new posts to say “I have a Coyote powered Mustang and it doesn’t tick”. I wonder what the real percentage of the Coyotes have the tick vs the ones that do not???

I don’t know if the tick develops due to how the car is broken in when new, oil brand/flavor, if you live in a warm or cold place, or anything else. I just find it odd that I have yet to get one when I have literally owned 25. I’ve had a couple friends who had the tick but overall, most of my Mustang friends do not have it.

Regardless if you have it or not, I think we all know it’s not an issue, just an annoyance. It would be nice to know what causes it though.
Holy crap. Very interesting.
This doesn't interest anyone else?

First, that's a lot of cars in the span of ~13 years (max). :D
Second, you're 0 for 25 so I can see why you would believe that this is just overreported. If so and this really is a rare problem, I would think that should REALLY concern everyone who has been blowing this off.

Both of my two Coyote Mustangs came to my possession virtually straight off the truck with no test drive miles on the odometer. I followed the break-in procedure in the manual as strictly as I could and believe me, those first 1000 miles seemed to take an eternity! Is there something wrong with the procedure? I have also done all of my oil changes ahead of the mileage recommendation and even let Ford service department do the changes. I switched to Ford's recommended synthetic on oil change #2 with no effect.

Yes, I agree. At the least, it would be nice to know. These engines seem to live a long time with the tick. By all accounts, it's exclusively a cosmetic blemish...but it's one that we don't know how to fix or avoid. Would anyone stand for pieces of paint flaking off for no apparent reason? At least in that case, you can paint the car. In this case, nobody has a clue.

Just for the record, Ford hasn't always blown off this problem. They even replaced the water pump under warranty on my 2011 as an attempt to fix the tick when the car had about 20k miles back in ~2014. It was, as you might guess, totally unrelated to the noise.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What I see is that people have unanimously become comfortable with not knowing and mechanically uncurious. Maybe that comes along with the culture of owning a new car with a warranty...while I have that, I guess I'm out of step. My other "enthusiast" car is from a very different culture where not knowing is a real problem.
Honestly I think it's demographics here if I'm correct in what the other group you belong is.

I think most people of the S550 owner demographic care more about how the engine performs and how reliable it is, and so far this issue has not been show to be a cause for concern as far as those 2 aspects go. So yes people got comfortable when they see that the engine is rock solid regardless of the noise it may make.

And at the same time, most people of the other demographic you are a member of tend to have more time on their hand and worry about every little noise that the engine may make and to obsess about it for seemingly little reason.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I didn't start this thread because I think my motor is about to go TU. I didn't start this thread to ask the same old question over again...it was mostly because I don't come around the forums much anymore and I wanted to see what (if anything) the community had learned about this obnoxious phenomenon. What I see is that people have unanimously become comfortable with not knowing and mechanically uncurious. Maybe that comes along with the culture of owning a new car with a warranty...while I have that, I guess I'm out of step. My other "enthusiast" car is from a very different culture where not knowing is a real problem.
The thing I have about all the threads and complaints about the tick boil down to one thing. The car doesn't sound the way you think it should sound. There's nothing anywhere confirming it as being anything but different from other engines, not right, not wrong, just different. When they designed this engine Ford did not contact me and asked what I thought it should sound like and I doubt they care what I think it should sound like. If it bothers you as much as it appears from your responses to people maybe the car isn't the right car for you. There's other brands out there that don't sound like a coyote.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly I think it's demographics here if I'm correct in what the other group you belong is.

I think most people of the S550 owner demographic care more about how the engine performs and how reliable it is, and so far this issue has not been show to be a cause for concern as far as those 2 aspects go. So yes people got comfortable when they see that the engine is rock solid regardless of the noise it may make.

And at the same time, most people of the other demographic you are a member of tend to have more time on their hand and worry about every little noise that the engine may make and to obsess about it for seemingly little reason.
Thanks for sharing your biases. I think you're misinformed but I don't get the sense that you are here to discuss.

For anyone who is curious, the demographic overlap between the two communities that I'm talking about is very close. The Coyote Mustang crowd that I know well just tends to have a bit more money if I had to guess. We all work for a living.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The thing I have about all the threads and complaints about the tick boil down to one thing. The car doesn't sound the way you think it should sound. There's nothing anywhere confirming it as being anything but different from other engines, not right, not wrong, just different. When they designed this engine Ford did not contact me and asked what I thought it should sound like and I doubt they care what I think it should sound like. If it bothers you as much as it appears from your responses to people maybe the car isn't the right car for you. There's over brands out there that don't sound like a coyote.
I don't follow. You think your engine should...sometimes, for unknown reasons, in unpredictable circumstances, just start clattering, then stop for other unknown reasons?

No, I don't think it should sound like that. I don't think it's the worst thing in the world but it sounds bad to my ear. It sounds broken. That in combination with not knowing just annoys me.

If I knew what was happening in the engine, it would bother me 90% less.

Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I don't follow. You think your engine should...sometimes, for unknown reasons, in unpredictable circumstances, just start clattering, then stop for other unknown reasons?
I don't follow. Can you provide any evidence that there is anything wrong with the engine?

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Thanks for sharing your biases. I think you're misinformed but I don't get the sense that you are here to discuss.
It's not a bias, it's observation. Different demographics have different tendencies and thoughts about vehicles. An older crowd with classic cars tends to have more time and to worry more about nuances in their engine than a younger crowd with newer cars (especially as you mentioned that many still have warranty).

I'm getting the sense that you're the one that doesn't want to discuss, sure you came in here looking for a discussion, but all it's been is you objecting with every one of the discussion points brought up by others. That's not a discussion in my book.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not a bias, it's observation. Different demographics have different tendencies and thoughts about vehicles. An older crowd with classic cars tends to have more time and to worry more about nuances in their engine than a younger crowd with newer cars (especially as you mentioned that many still have warranty).
I'll just say again, my comment was based on comparing two communities that are similar in demographics. Your comment, even if it was valid in some general sense, has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

People who are into building, maintaining, driving, enjoying older cars need to know how they work. Those of us with a warranty, don't have to care as much and that may be why the general consensus is to not care. That was my guess, my attempt to explain the difference I am observing. That's all.

I'm getting the sense that you're the one that doesn't want to discuss, sure you came in here looking for a discussion, but all it's been is you objecting with every one of the discussion points brought up by others. That's not a discussion in my book.
You're welcome to stop responding.

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
my 22 GT started the BBQ tick around 2k miles if I remember. I added the bottle of ceratec like everyone says to and the tick stopped. FF to 5k miles now on that same oil/cetatec and it started the BBQ tick again. I plan on getting an oil change because I have a whipple going on, and when I I do Im going to add another bottle of ceratec. I will be switching to the 5w50 anyway so that should take care of the tick on its own. But the ceratec will help. All I know is that when the oil viscosity starts to break down, thats when the BBQ tick starts. Thinner oil is more prone to it happening.

As for the 2k rattle, thats another normal noise and its the cam phasers. They are louder when the engine is cold, and once the oil finally gets up to them they start to quiet down. This is normal and has been around since 2011 with the first gen TIVCT.
Sponsored