Sponsored

Sync3 disconnects from USB/Phone while in use

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Anyone ever ran into this?

The Phone is plugged in and android auto connected, everything is working fine and it simply drops the connection to the phone. Does it with either the primary USB connection at the dash or the auxiliary connection in the console. Tried multiple USB-C cords and multiple phones, doesn't seem to be a handshake issue or a cord issue or a phone issue.

Anyone else ever run into this?
Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Is your sync software up to date? And what about your phone. What version, and is software up to date?

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Guys,

If you have an Android based phone then use one of these inside center console hidden via USB and no issues... Then if you need to juice your phone you can use the power wart option in the console for charging.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MA1-Wireless-Android-Adapter/dp/B09PQ95GY4

Have come down in price since I bought these on first release. I have three in separate vehicles and work as expected.

Here's another post in the forum to look at...

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/wireless-android-auto-adapter.187566/

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
use one of these in console hidden
You Mean in the arm rest where I store my paper maps and CD cases? And pen, paper and roadside assistance card?

Sponsored

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
You Mean in the arm rest where I store my paper maps and CD cases?
Yep... Did not know people still use CD's and Paper maps these days... But I think they are still called Consoles? Funny...

That's where mine stays and a Anker Power wart below with USB-C line out for charging.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I've had that happen to me with cheap 3rd party cables.
I don't THINK that's the issue (fairly quality cable) but I purchased a USB-C/USB cable that's specifically advertised for android auto and I'll try that out. i'd love it if it's as simple as poor cable.

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I don't THINK that's the issue (fairly quality cable) but I purchased a USB-C/USB cable that's specifically advertised for android auto and I'll try that out. i'd love it if it's as simple as poor cable.
I have an iPhone so the situation is slightly different. However, once I purchased a high quality Apple-certified cable, the problem never reoccurred. I hope that cable solves yours.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm cautiously optimistic that the new cable resolved the issue (knock on wood). There's a part of me that doesn't want to claim victory, but I bought a cable specifically advertised for "android auto" and it didn't disconnect once on a 30 minute drive to and 30 minute drive back.

Thanks for the help guys! It's a great day when something as simple and cheap as swapping a cable out resolves an issue.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Doesn't seem logical that it's a simple 4-conductor computer cable, but who knows.

I started having Android Auto disconnect, and now it won't even start up, for going on two years now. Posted a thread about it and tried all the suggestions. Still not working.

My phone is about 8 years old now. I wonder if there is a phone-OS / AndroidAuto app / car Sync3 divergence such that two of them are refusing to play together.

On the other hand, my phone behaves pretty well in the 2020 Explorer, so it remains a mystery.

Sponsored

Aless_andro00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
If your Sync3 system is acting up, doing a master reset might fix those software glitches. You can find the option in the settings menu on your Sync3 screen.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If your Sync3 system is acting up, doing a master reset might fix those software glitches. You can find the option in the settings menu on your Sync3 screen.
Don't know if you were addressing OP or myself, but I tried that and it didn't work for me.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Doesn't seem logical that it's a simple 4-conductor computer cable, but who knows.

I started having Android Auto disconnect, and now it won't even start up, for going on two years now. Posted a thread about it and tried all the suggestions. Still not working.

My phone is about 8 years old now. I wonder if there is a phone-OS / AndroidAuto app / car Sync3 divergence such that two of them are refusing to play together.

On the other hand, my phone behaves pretty well in the 2020 Explorer, so it remains a mystery.
To be fair, it’s a little more than just 4 simple conductors. Most of these all have electronics in them now, and some of the ones you can get for cheap can have counterfeited components as well.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I had also reached out to Hextall and here was their response as well:

"..... I will send you the update procedure when I get into our office. We were looking into this issue this weekend and see a lot of customer complaints on the Ford dealer side related to this. Issue seems to be isolated to certain versions of Android's OS. Ford made several changes to Sync 3.4 in the last two updates to address connectivity. However, there were still issues with Android 13 and 14. Besides the Sync software update, we recommend that customers use a USB cable from their phone manufacturer. This has been the case with iPhone for years. "

So it seems to be a combination of both the quality of the cable/connection and also some software on how Sync handles things.

That's as you would expect, if the APIM thinks you've disconnected then it obviously reverts back to the Ford/OE interface. If there are momentary lapses, while you don't want it to immediately jump, you also don't want their to be a huge lag from unplugging to the OE interface (people would complain there as well).

In my case, the "better" cable seems to have resolved it (for now) but apparently there was some updates that were focused around improving or addressing this.

I'm also working on updating my software to the latest firmware.

Aless_andro00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
Don't know if you were addressing OP or myself, but I tried that and it didn't work for me.
I was actually addressing the OP. I think I should have quoted him. Well, that sucks that it didn't work for you.
Sponsored