Sponsored

Supercharged Mustang on track?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I use HP tuners, there are a couple different tables I had to work with. Primarily for IAT Temp there is a table that modifies timing vs IAT . It is called IAT Spark. There are also a number of Fuel cut tables in under the engine tab, in the DFCO area. They deal with oil temp, coolant Temp, and Intake air temp. Along with that there are Torque limiters based on temp. I usually set these lower than the fuel cuts as they are less harsh on the drivetrain, but they take a fair amount of more tuning, and I am still not aware of all the conditions that set the max torque number, so sometimes this does not always work. Luckily on Track when pushing hard the Torque limit values vs temp seem to work most of the time, and the controller just limits my throttle opening. I have given thought to putting a controller on the bypass valve of the whipple, It would be alot less cryptic to figure out
But how exactly do you "cut" boost with HPTuners? Yes you can limit timing and all that stuff, but still not sure how a computer can limit hard boost from a PD blower short of limiting how much the throttle body opens and stuff.

IAT spark is not going to lower the boost value seen in the manifold, it's just going to protect the engine from timing related issues that come with high cylinder temps.
Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Once you lower the values sufficiently on those tables, it stays out of boost, I can watch the MAP values when I test drive it, to confirm I have the values set correctly. You have to actually test and tune the car to get these right, it is not something you can nail at your desk. To much timing cut and the car backfires are just does not run well, the same for calculated torque. When I have it just right I can run it up to 0kpa pretty easy and it just stops climbing in revs. Unfortunately there is no table that says cut boost.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That still makes no sense, boost level is hard set on a PD blower based on RPM and the # of degrees of timing the computer sets is not going to change the mechanical side of it. What you're saying is that you can make a run full timing and hit for example 10psi, but then if you lower the timing by x amount the very next run you're only going to hit 8psi?

And hitting 0kpa means your engine is not running. I assume you mean ~101kpa which would be 100% NA VE efficiency and 0 boost levels.

But anyway, not going to argue just never heard of tuning the boost level of mechanical PD blower with simple timing changes.

OP
OP

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
I use HP tuners, there are a couple different tables I had to work with. Primarily for IAT Temp there is a table that modifies timing vs IAT . It is called IAT Spark. There are also a number of Fuel cut tables in under the engine tab, in the DFCO area. They deal with oil temp, coolant Temp, and Intake air temp. Along with that there are Torque limiters based on temp. I usually set these lower than the fuel cuts as they are less harsh on the drivetrain, but they take a fair amount of more tuning, and I am still not aware of all the conditions that set the max torque number, so sometimes this does not always work. Luckily on Track when pushing hard the Torque limit values vs temp seem to work most of the time, and the controller just limits my throttle opening. I have given thought to putting a controller on the bypass valve of the whipple, It would be alot less cryptic to figure out

Thank you.

I was wondering what mechanical device limits the torque. I guess its the dbw throttle? I thought maybe you had a boost bypass or something.
I built a car with a wastgate on the intake side and that allowed me to vary boost with a supercharger. Worked really nice!

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I am not making this stuff up. My car has more track miles than road miles. It currently sits at 3200 miles.

Yes I meant to say 0 in-hg.
It idles around 35kpa and Wot is 98 kpa when limited and 155 kpa is at full song with no limits

256A8556.jpg

IMG-20180111-2240103.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
I am not making this stuff up. My car has more track miles than road miles. It currently sits at 3200 miles.

Yes I meant to say 0 in-hg.
It idles around 35kpa and Wot is 98 kpa when limited and 155 kpa is at full song with no limits

256A8556.jpg

IMG-20180111-2240103.jpg

Your car certainly looks well poised on the track. Rear camber is JUST trying to stay from being positive.

Steering wheel grip position - I can definitely make some recommendations

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My 2016 with a Gen 2 2.9 Whipple gets track use. I have the over-sized heat exchange as well. I end up too tired to keep going before the car does. Now to be fair I did blow the stock short block up at the track on boost. Upgraded to an MPR racing short block and have had zero issues now.
Track Day 1.jpg
Track Day 2.jpg
Engine Build.jpg

OP
OP

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
What happened to the old block?
Spin bearing or a rod?

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Iā€˜ve run my Whipple gen2 and now gen3 on road course track here in CA including some very hot days. I initially had the standard h/e without fans before the larger h/e came out which I have changed to. Regardless of what h/e I was running, I never had heat issue related problems except for my diff which of course is unrelated to being boosted for the most part and which I have also corrected with a cooler now. I also have Lund tunes for 91 octane, 100 octane (which I use on track), flex (no longer offered for boosted tunes from them and only used for transitional tank changes), and E85 which I wish I could run for additional cooling benefits at the track but they donā€™t supply it. My pulley is a 3.5 (13 psi) which I pretty much never change out as itā€™s a great middle ground pulley; perfect for 100 octane, overated for 91 octane but I never go wot with it on that fuel, and underrated with E85 which Iā€™m on mostly and there Is no reason to go smaller because the power is ridiculous already.

If your considering going boosted on your car and running it on track, I wouldnā€™t worry about it. I havenā€™t wished I didnā€™t do it for a second. Your main issue being in Denver will probably be altitude which doesnā€™t help with power inherently. Going boosted though, youā€™ll have more power than not.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I,ve run my Whipple gen2 and now gen3 on road course track here in CA including some very hot days. I initially had the standard h/e without fans before the larger h/e came out which I have changed to. Regardless of what h/e I was running, I never had heat issue related problems except for my diff which of course is unrelated to being boosted for the most part and which I have also corrected with a cooler now. I also have Lund tunes for 91 octane, 100 octane (which I use on track), flex (no longer offered for boosted tunes from them and only used for transitional tank changes), and E85 which I wish I could run for additional cooling benefits at the track but they donā€™t supply it. My pulley is a 3.5 (13 psi) which I pretty much never change out as itā€™s a great middle ground pulley; perfect for 100 octane, overated for 91 octane but I never go wot with it on that fuel, and underrated with E85 which Iā€™m on mostly and there Is no reason to go smaller because the power is ridiculous already.

If your considering going boosted on your car and running it on track, I wouldnā€™t worry about it. I havenā€™t wished I didnā€™t do it for a second. Your main issue being in Denver will probably be altitude which doesnā€™t help with power inherently. Going boosted though, youā€™ll have more power than not.

You are sitting right where I do for the track. 3.5 Inch pulley and E85. Its pretty fun on track days :) I because I am already on the second block i do the 3.75 inch pulley on pump gas. Only takes a few minutes to swap so I do it just to be safe.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Yeah the only reason Iā€™m on the 3.5 is because of the 100 octane. If I ran lower grade, thereā€™s no doubt Iā€™d be running the 3.75 like you are.

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I run the 3.62 pulley. Power limiting when temps go high staves off detonation and piston damage.

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
@Darthmayxj

Did you blow the motor after March when we ran at COTA?

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I installed my Whipple in May running Whipple tune. I've always wanted one so decided to do it. I put about 4200 track miles before I had it installed. I run the 3.75 pulley. Cooling is the biggest issue. On hotter days I keep it at a lower RPM. 10/6-7 I was seeing water temps up to 252 with oil temps to 260. Weather was 91 high and 75 low. 11/3-4 my highest temps were at 232. Weather was 77 high and 54 low. A GT500 was seeing 212 in Nov. I also have a Mishimoto oil cooler installed. A heat extractor hood would help for hotter days. I plan on running with a 4.0 pulley to lower boost. Should help with the temps.
Sponsored