Sponsored

Steeda spring install ?

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Audi RS3 / 2023 Porsche GT4
I love my Steeda parts. I learned a long time ago that sometimes, companies, people, everybody makes a mistake at some point. Use common sense when installing parts on a car. If something isn't fitting right, and it's per the instructions, contact the vendor. There was a company that had head gaskets that were stamped "UP" on the bottom for B series engines. Well, when you installed it like that, it covered up a water jacket, didn't seal, and turned the back of the block into a waterfall of coolant. From that point forward I always double checked instructions vs installation, just in case. It was my fault for not paying attention to it covering up that hole. So if you're installing something and it's not fitting... STOP INSTALLING IT. Recheck your work, the instructions and use some common sense.
Sponsored

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love my Steeda parts. I learned a long time ago that sometimes, companies, people, everybody makes a mistake at some point. Use common sense when installing parts on a car. If something isn't fitting right, and it's per the instructions, contact the vendor. There was a company that had head gaskets that were stamped "UP" on the bottom for B series engines. Well, when you installed it like that, it covered up a water jacket, didn't seal, and turned the back of the block into a waterfall of coolant. From that point forward I always double checked instructions vs installation, just in case. It was my fault for not paying attention to it covering up that hole. So if you're installing something and it's not fitting... STOP INSTALLING IT. Recheck your work, the instructions and use some common sense.
I checked and rechecked but when its your first install and you have nothing to go off of but instructions and you're one of the first to install them you have no choice but to have faith in the company and directions.
that being said, its been made right and I will be jacking the car up and redoing them this weekend hopefully. ill stick with Steeda for the most part due to customer service alone.

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
If you have a bit of mechanical aptitude, it will be an easy install; if not, pay a professional. Simple
Progressive springs waiting to go this weekend and saw this thread....

If you are having issues b/c you're a newbie and the instructions aren't perfect don't come on a forum and bash the vendor saying you're done with their products. If you can't figure out simple configuration of a coil spring (even if the instructions aren't perfect) you should be paying someone to do it or have a more experienced friend assist.

Yes, everyone has to start somewhere, but aside from the safety issues of compressing/decompressing a spring this job is pretty easy and common sense driven.

PS...this wasn't aimed AT you, I'm agreeing with you 100%.

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not a newbie by any sense of the term. I thought it was odd that the instructions said one thing, but it looked off. having faith in a company and directions is not wrong. they know more about it then I do.
ps.. gt miller - if this was aimed at me I didn't bash the vendor. I just said no more steeda FOR ME. I didn't say they were junk or garbage or a company that is shit. I also have comments in another thread saying how much I love how they handled and made the car feel.

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Audi RS3 / 2023 Porsche GT4
I checked and rechecked but when its your first install and you have nothing to go off of but instructions and you're one of the first to install them you have no choice but to have faith in the company and directions.
that being said, its been made right and I will be jacking the car up and redoing them this weekend hopefully. ill stick with Steeda for the most part due to customer service alone.
Is this the first time you've ever installed springs on anything? I only ask because when I put on my springs, the fronts only fit correctly one way. If you didn't know any better, it's a lesson learned. Just if you're doing something for the absolute very first time it's probably a good idea to have some help or someone who is familiar with whatever install it is you are doing. Steeda does have some of the absolute best customer service that I have experienced in my short Mustang ownership life. I'm glad you're being taken care of for sure!

The good thing about forums of this size, if you need help or having a question usually someone can help. The bad thing is the mob mentality that can happen over small things. We all started out somewhere and have made mistakes installing parts. I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk about this. I apologize if I am. :cheers:

Sponsored

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this the first time you've ever installed springs on anything? I only ask because when I put on my springs, the fronts only fit correctly one way. If you didn't know any better, it's a lesson learned. Just if you're doing something for the absolute very first time it's probably a good idea to have some help or someone who is familiar with whatever install it is you are doing. Steeda does have some of the absolute best customer service that I have experienced in my short Mustang ownership life. I'm glad you're being taken care of for sure!

The good thing about forums of this size, if you need help or having a question usually someone can help. The bad thing is the mob mentality that can happen over small things. We all started out somewhere and have made mistakes installing parts. I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk about this. I apologize if I am. :cheers:
It was the first time for a Mustang. I had about 4 guys helping me. two members of this forum. both guys I trust very much and who have amazing cars and all the work they put into their cars is done by them. I wont name them because its not my place to.
since this install ive done a lot more suspension work, including bags, vertical links, diff bushings, irs bushings etc...so correcting this shouldn't be a big deal and they've been on the car so long, ill probably just leave them. yes I did get upset quickly but I tend to do that.
Steeda does have the best customer service out there. I was surprised to get a call from David not to long ago. I will continue to buy Steeda parts due to that.

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

If you are having issues b/c you're a newbie and the instructions aren't perfect don't come on a forum and bash the vendor saying you're done with their products. If you can't figure out simple configuration of a coil spring (even if the instructions aren't perfect) you should be paying someone to do it or have a more experienced friend assist.

Yes, everyone has to start somewhere, but aside from the safety issues of compressing/decompressing a spring this job is pretty easy and common sense driven.

I agree with you to a point, but again, is it too much to ask for Steeda to get the instructions correct? This entire thread could've been avoided if someone at Steeda had bothered to check the instructions BEFORE the springs were released to consumers. Also, it isn't just that people can't figure out which way they go on (it's not rocket science-it's either up or down), it's that the support offered by Steeda told people to install them incorrectly, myself included. To absolve Steeda of guilt is a little naive, considering their poor instructions and incorrect customer support are what turned this into a 7 page thread. How many questions have you seen regarding BMR, Eibach, or Ford Racing spring installs?

Ultimately, I agree with you-if you're having issues, get some help, but spring installs aren't difficult, and people shouldn't be afraid of doing it themselves, even if it is their first time-provided they have proper instructions.

davidw76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT Premium w PP & Corsa Xtreme

It depends what you mean by bashing.. Lowering springs are frequently installed by novices rather than professionals, that's why they come with detailed instructions and it's why some vendors make YouTube videos showing how to install them without assuming any pre-existing knowledge beyond the basics. So it's a bit negligent for a company like Steeda to ship instructions with such a basic error in them. You would think they would have some kind of QA process to catch mistakes before they are shipped to a customer. I agree with the advice given above, if in doubt, give them a call and double check. But I don't see anything wrong with being a bit critical of Steeda in this instance. It is not particularly unreasonable to assume that the instructions are correct and have been carefully proof read.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
There is another thread where the owner had a shop install the springs, and then his car wandered back and forth on the road. Yep - one side front spring was upside down. So, even a shop tech can get it wrong.

It sounds as though the problem is that the front spring ID is different, but almost the same ID at each end, which leads to the chance to get it upside down. It does not help that the logo is sometimes up and sometimes down. Imagine the factory also not noticing the slight ID difference.

So Yes, in a perfect world we would have:
  • Ford designing the top/bottom mounts with identical diameters (preventing the problem), OR
  • The label applied correctly to indicate the UP direction, AND
  • The instructions correctly matching the situation
Springs should be simple enough for DIY, though not necessarily easy, and not completely without risk (whether during or after the install).

I am interested in doing this myself, but I might go to a DIY garage with lift to make it easier. Probably some good free advice down there, too, should I run into a snag.

gtmiller1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
not a newbie by any sense of the term. I thought it was odd that the instructions said one thing, but it looked off. having faith in a company and directions is not wrong. they know more about it then I do.
ps.. gt miller - if this was aimed at me I didn't bash the vendor. I just said no more steeda FOR ME. I didn't say they were junk or garbage or a company that is shit. I also have comments in another thread saying how much I love how they handled and made the car feel.
not necessarily directed at you specifically

I agree with you to a point, but again, is it too much to ask for Steeda to get the instructions correct? This entire thread could've been avoided if someone at Steeda had bothered to check the instructions BEFORE the springs were released to consumers. Also, it isn't just that people can't figure out which way they go on (it's not rocket science-it's either up or down), it's that the support offered by Steeda told people to install them incorrectly, myself included. To absolve Steeda of guilt is a little naive, considering their poor instructions and incorrect customer support are what turned this into a 7 page thread. How many questions have you seen regarding BMR, Eibach, or Ford Racing spring installs?

Ultimately, I agree with you-if you're having issues, get some help, but spring installs aren't difficult, and people shouldn't be afraid of doing it themselves, even if it is their first time-provided they have proper instructions.
It just irritates me how these things snowball so quickly. I think almost all instructions I've had, whether they are for car parts or other things, have flaws. However, most of the time if you are "handy" enough you can figure it out. The problem to me is this happens and then people come in saying they won't even buy the product anymore. I love internet forums for the wealth of info, but at the same time there seems to be a growing trend of mis-information and mob-mentality.

It depends what you mean by bashing.. Lowering springs are frequently installed by novices rather than professionals, that's why they come with detailed instructions and it's why some vendors make YouTube videos showing how to install them without assuming any pre-existing knowledge beyond the basics. So it's a bit negligent for a company like Steeda to ship instructions with such a basic error in them. You would think they would have some kind of QA process to catch mistakes before they are shipped to a customer. I agree with the advice given above, if in doubt, give them a call and double check. But I don't see anything wrong with being a bit critical of Steeda in this instance. It is not particularly unreasonable to assume that the instructions are correct and have been carefully proof read.
Again, if it were a complicated part I'd agree, but I have encountered numerous errors in all kinds of instruction manuals before that are able to be worked through as long as you have some kind of experience in the task at hand.

Anyway, I'm not picking on anyone, I just hate when a few people read about a small issue that the vendor is willing to sort through in a timely manner and are then deterred from doing business....but I guess that's the times we live in now with forums and the ease to share and mass distribute information instantly.

Sponsored

Thelopez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I just had the progressives installed last week. Now when I go over speed bump sounds like right front squeaks. I have seen where people are sayings springs could be upside down, can anyone shed some light if I take my front tire off to make sure springs are installed right. maybe stock swaybars can't handle the extra low from springs?

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just had the progressives installed last week. Now when I go over speed bump sounds like right front squeaks. I have seen where people are sayings springs could be upside down, can anyone shed some light if I take my front tire off to make sure springs are installed right. maybe stock swaybars can't handle the extra low from springs?
mine squeak too. don't worry.

Thelopez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Of course not bashing on streeda. just would like to know where to start looking to help it or something. Lol

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Of course not bashing on streeda. just would like to know where to start looking to help it or something. Lol
message David. He is awesome and will be the most help.

Edit - I believe his username is David@steeda

Last edited: