Sponsored

so is Ford going to develop a tranny cooler for us 16 tech/base owners?

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
This is the closest I've heard to any hard information. Seems odd the Tech/Base cars have a lower threshold though, sure the track pack has the possibility of cooling off faster, but its not like the fluid is different so that it needs a lower temp cutoff.
I asked the same thing. They are looking into why but track recirculates fluid that is all I can think of.

I also asked my dealer about coolers and there is not even part numbers yet but they are looking into it.

We will see what happens.
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Talked to Larry this evening. Car is at dealer. It went into safety mode per dealer. Dealer found a couple of issues. Car went into trans overheat mode as well as a thermostat issue. Seems the trans parameters are all over the board for temp cut off. Dealer told Larry that track pack is suppose to be set at 265 then go into safe mode 1. If trans stays there or goes above but not over 280 it will run for a limited time then go into total safe mode 2 and reduce power indefinitely until temps fall into parameters. It seems the base and tech cars are set at a flat 250. Once past power is cut. Seems his track pack had base ECU parameters. Car is getting an up to date retune to spec and new thermostat. car is supposedly fine. Dealer says when they re done it will be the way it is suppose to run.
Appreciate the information, I think some of the details are still a little fuzzy though. What's the difference between safe mode 1 and safe mode 2? I didn't notice a difference in performance between 250 and 280, but it may have been too subtle to notice. A lower threshold does sound more likely on the Track cars because the coolers should be keeping the temps down.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Talked to Larry this evening. Car is at dealer. It went into safety mode per dealer. Dealer found a couple of issues. Car went into trans overheat mode as well as a thermostat issue. Seems the trans parameters are all over the board for temp cut off. Dealer told Larry that track pack is suppose to be set at 265 then go into safe mode 1. If trans stays there or goes above but not over 280 it will run for a limited time then go into total safe mode 2 and reduce power indefinitely until temps fall into parameters. It seems the base and tech cars are set at a flat 250. Once past power is cut. Seems his track pack had base ECU parameters. Car is getting an up to date retune to spec and new thermostat. car is supposedly fine. Dealer says when they re done it will be the way it is suppose to run.
Can you ask if there is a separate tranny thermostat that went bad? That might explain this case.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
To answer the original question in this thread, considering 2/3s of the GT350s are base/techs and the 2017s are reportedly going to include them, I say, "Yes, and hopefully soon for all who want them." This would be the right thing to do and maintain the integrity of the Shelby name and GT350 model. (I'll take the diff cooler too) You guys say Ford reads these, then let me add, I'll pay for the parts, Ford picks up labor and it's all covered by warranty.

OP
OP

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
lets hope so and lets hope they do it quickly. track season starts in 6-7 weeks.

To answer the original question in this thread, considering 2/3s of the GT350s are base/techs and the 2017s are reportedly going to include them, I say, "Yes, and hopefully soon for all who want them." This would be the right thing to do and maintain the integrity of the Shelby name and GT350 model. (I'll take the diff cooler too) You guys say Ford reads these, then let me add, I'll pay for the parts, Ford picks up labor and it's all covered by warranty.

Sponsored

hal_farthead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT350 - Tech pkg
Anyone with any news? Let's keep these threads alive in case someone finds out something. That way there will be an existing thread in the first couple of pages.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Anyone with any news? Let's keep these threads alive in case someone finds out something. That way there will be an existing thread in the first couple of pages.

[MENTION=14655]SVT[/MENTION] Tim said a solution should be coming soon according to his contacts.

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
Yes, supposedly an "expensive" and "less expensive, but expensive" option

Leonard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I've noticed on my GT350 that the trans tunnel seems to get pretty warm at times. I took the car on a trip earlier this week and measured the trans tunnel temp with an infra red thermometer after about a one hour drive on the interstate (6th gear @ 70mph). The interior of the tunnel read as hot as 112F.

I'm questioning whether the source of the heat is the transmission or the cats. I'm thinking that the ground effects are limiting the airflow down the tunnel and the cats are heat soaking the transmission and the cats. If track pack cars see elevated interior tunnel temps as well this would imply that the cats are the source of the heat and the trans coolers are keeping the trans where it needs to be despite a lack of airflow. If that's the case getting through a 20 minute lapping session may be as simple as putting a thermal wrap or ceramic coat on the cats and that section of exhaust.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Cats are a source of heat, but it's the relatively compact size of the transmission and its positioning high up in the isolated--and therefore insulated--tunnel that causes a lot of heat retention. Lot of dead air up there and no ability for it to radiate away.

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I've noticed on my GT350 that the trans tunnel seems to get pretty warm at times. I took the car on a trip earlier this week and measured the trans tunnel temp with an infra red thermometer after about a one hour drive on the interstate (6th gear @ 70mph). The interior of the tunnel read as hot as 112F.

I'm questioning whether the source of the heat is the transmission or the cats. I'm thinking that the ground effects are limiting the airflow down the tunnel and the cats are heat soaking the transmission and the cats. If track pack cars see elevated interior tunnel temps as well this would imply that the cats are the source of the heat and the trans coolers are keeping the trans where it needs to be despite a lack of airflow. If that's the case getting through a 20 minute lapping session may be as simple as putting a thermal wrap or ceramic coat on the cats and that section of exhaust.
Even with no cats (aka straight pipe), the temperatures are pretty much the same with the same results. The transmission fluid needs cooled, period.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Yes, supposedly an "expensive" and "less expensive, but expensive" option
That's the same thing the Ford Performance reps at the Carlisle All Ford Nationals told me.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old thread but I am bringing my tech in for the OEM FP tranny cooler on Tuesday. Getting a Tilton cooler pump to move the juice. The guys are installing a kill switch to turn it off if I don't want it running for street driving. It will come on anytime the car is started unless turned off with the switch. I will also see about using Forscan to enable the tranny temp gauge working.

I will report back with some feedback incase anyone with a 16 tech pack is looking to do this

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I know this is an old thread but I am bringing my tech in for the OEM FP tranny cooler on Tuesday. Getting a Tilton cooler pump to move the juice. The guys are installing a kill switch to turn it off if I don't want it running for street driving. It will come on anytime the car is started unless turned off with the switch. I will also see about using Forscan to enable the tranny temp gauge working.

I will report back with some feedback incase anyone with a 16 tech pack is looking to do this
Why not just buy one of those (discounted and subsidized) FP trannys with the integral pump and plumb it like a track pack? Done. OEM proven solution.

picture.jpg
Sponsored