Sponsored

Smart Locks for the House

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Been doing some homework to install smart locks throughout the house. You guys got any inputs or opinions? My only hangup thus far (other than selecting a brand) is battery life. Seems pretty scattered across the board, but battery life of 3-6 months seems to be the average. I feel like having to replace batteries that often is gonna get pretty darn old pretty darn fast.

And questionā€¦with doing multiple doors in the house, Iā€™d assume life would be simpler if you went with the same brand for all of them?
Sponsored

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
Subscribed! Interested in doing something similar. :)

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Iā€™ve installed quite a few setups in residential and commercial applications. They all get rechargeable batteries and the clients usually just put alerts on there phones to change them every so often. Iā€˜ve used several different brands and havent run in to any issueā€™s perse. The maintenance side got easier switching to rechargeable s and the notifications.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I have Next x Yale on my front door, and it's been two years since I installed it. I just changed the batteries for the first time. Super happy with it, and it works well with my Nest doorbell/cam, Nest Protects, and Nest thermostats.

Joe

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I'd think If you swapped the batteries the same time as your smoke detectors And used recharge type in the locks. It never be an issue.
I am not a fan . If scum can "collect" the data from your cars fob , They can do the same with these locks Then they don't even have to make noise to break in as they unlock it and walk in.
How would the insurance coverage claim work when there was no "forced" entry?

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd think If you swapped the batteries the same time as your smoke detectors And used recharge type in the locks. It never be an issue.
I am not a fan . If scum can "collect" the data from your cars fob , They can do the same with these locks Then they don't even have to make noise to break in as they unlock it and walk in.
How would the insurance coverage claim work when there was no "forced" entry?
My Next x Yale lock makes a noise when it's unlocked via the app. Could an attacker disable that sound via their "hack"? Yes, probably.

But I also have cameras in the area that would show "forced" entry and automatically send data to the cloud, so I have a detective feature that backs up my lock, in the case of an insurance claim. The reality is that any exploits on a smart lock are more likely to be users not disabling the default codes. Most attackers are not sophisticated enough to execute a replay attack on a Bluetooth device, and if they did, I would get an immediate notification if someone accessed my front door.

I'll take my chances.

JR

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I have direct-to-cloud cameras around the exterior that notify me of any activity at night or as scheduled. Iā€™m not a fan of using a smart locking system. They are expensive and not fail safe. Redundant cameras works for me.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
My Next x Yale lock makes a noise when it's unlocked via the app. Could an attacker disable that sound via their "hack"? Yes, probably.

But I also have cameras in the area that would show "forced" entry and automatically send data to the cloud, so I have a detective feature that backs up my lock, in the case of an insurance claim. The reality is that any exploits on a smart lock are more likely to be users not disabling the default codes. Most attackers are not sophisticated enough to execute a replay attack on a Bluetooth device, and if they did, I would get an immediate notification if someone accessed my front door.

I'll take my chances.

JR
Good luck.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good luck.
Thanks!

I should also mention that I've been a cybersecurity engineer for over 15 years, specializing in defensive cyber and risk assessment.

JR

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Thanks!

I should also mention that I've been a cybersecurity engineer for over 15 years, specializing in defensive cyber and risk assessment.

JR
Ya, blah, blah, blah.
If that industry was on the ball, there be less hacked data.
So, sorry, I'll take your background with a grain of salt, nothing personal mind you. but The track record of that industry isn't a good one.
Again, good luck.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya, blah, blah, blah.
So, sorry, I'll take your background with a grain of salt, nothing personal mind you. but The track record of that industry isn't a good one.
Again, good luck.
That's fine. The systems I'm responsible for have never been successfully exploited. Attacked yes, but no data has been exfiltrated, and we've suffered no DoS attacks. Based on your response, I assume you probably wouldn't take the advice of an automotive engineer, because there are recalls?

JR

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Ya, blah, blah, blah.
Again, good luck.
Cybersecurity, I slept at the Motel Six ......

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
We use an integrated smart lock with our security system. But, itā€™s not front door or back door; they are still traditional deadbolt. Many people rely on their roll up garage door and donā€™t bother locking the door from the house to the garage. This arrangement supports automating that lock and is super convenient.

Also, batteries seem to last 6+ months even with frequent use.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
That's fine. The systems I'm responsible for have never been successfully exploited. Attacked yes, but no data has been exfiltrated, and we've suffered no DoS attacks. Based on your response, I assume you probably wouldn't take the advice of an automotive engineer, because there are recalls?

JR
Engineers & reality don't always go hand in hand....

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS