Side rocker panel

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Just got off the phone with service manager about the replacement under warranty of the driver's side rocker panel after finding out a defect when taking delivery of my car last week.

Here is the part i don't like, he told me that the side rocker panel comes already riveted with the lower body panel and that is has to be painted to match.

He assured me that it will perfectly match my OEM paint color , but i'm wondering if it will hold up as good as the original paint !

Also, does anyone have the driver's side rocker panel part # !

Thanks
Sponsored

dkbluedevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just got off the phone with service manager about the replacement under warranty of the driver's side rocker panel after finding out a defect when taking delivery of my car last week.

Here is the part i don't like, he told me that the side rocker panel comes already riveted with the lower body panel and that is has to be painted to match.

He assured me that it will perfectly match my OEM paint color , but i'm wondering if it will hold up as good as the original paint !

Also, does anyone have the driver's side rocker panel part # !

Thanks
What was wrong with it?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I do not know what paint process they are using on the 350's. Old school paint was a 3 step process..... prime, topcoat (color), then clear coat. It is my understanding that Ford is turning the paint process into a 2 step process. So will it truly be exact and identical. Maybe, maybe not.

http://wardsauto.com/industry/ford-expand-use-3-wet-paint-technology-2-wet-process-debut-cvs

Either way, there is no doubt that a good body shop will be able to match the paint color exactly and that nobody would ever be the wiser.

However, my concern would be the OASIS service record reflecting body shop work on the car. What's the first thing that you think of when you find out a car has had body shop work? Good luck explaining that away.

Here is my suggestion. The sales department owns it. They pay the body shop directly for the repair and that it doesn't enter the vehicle's record (OASIS) and then, it truly never happened.

Unless you are planning to keep the car forever, I wouldn't want something in the vehicle's history if it was not my fault or problem. If it comes to it, threaten to involve ford and the survey that they revere so much.

my .02 of a buck. Good luck.

By the way..... Who's that chick in your avatar? Nice.

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
Old school paint was a 3 step process..... prime, topcoat (color), then clear coat.
Dang, I'm old. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that old school paint included "clear coat".
I'm still thinking old school is either lacquer and a buffer or enamel. :crazy:

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
Just for you John ! ;)

Thanks Dan, mine was the same way, when my 350 came in to my Ford dealer, the Ford dealer has the new part, but we are waiting on a whole new Exhaust system, then we will get both put on the our car!
Remember my Exhaust has a hole in it, and Ford is replacing. :cheers: John

OP
OP
montreal ponies

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
John, are you saying your rocker panel will get replaced and painted as well !

dkbluedevil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just for you John ! ;)

Heck, mine came with spots way worse than that including dents and scrapes in both the rockers and the rear valence plastic and didn't think anything of it. So the part comes with the sheet metal attached already, and they have to paint the sheet metal (because this is just plastic)? Sounds inefficient and unnecessary.

Sponsored
OP
OP
montreal ponies

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
^^^^î know, but that's how they get ordered from Ford i guess.:shrug:

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
:cheers: I know the feeling oldschooler. I find myself taking a double take now and then too. Guess we just gotta keep swimming and paying attention so we can keep up with what the new "old school" is today.:crazy:

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
What am I looking at here? That little white spot? Is there an indentation or something? Scratch? or just staining?

I had "salt" spots like that when my car arrived from Nebraska (was in the snow for a week). It took a few washings, but they finally came out.

Hard to tell from the picture, so I'm taking it is something way worse than what's pictured?

Just for you John ! ;)

By the way, if that's your garage floor in the background... NICE!!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Last edited:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I'm speaking from 45 years of my dads body shop experience. And like the OP I also replaced both of the rocker panel pieces with my own out of pocket expense. First of all my rockers had the exact same dings in the plastic. Second of all the new ones can only be bought with the black texture pieces attached to the paint to match urethane rocker pieces. You HAVE to separate the two pieces before painting. They are only held together with plastic push pins. Easy to separate before painting. Talk about a kick in the balls, you can not just buy the black texture rocker pieces, BUT! You can remove the new black texture piece and replace the old with the new and not have to repaint the original painted rocker section. But the whole rocker panel (both pieces) needs to be removed from the car to do so. My painted rocker panel had a tiny paint stone chip so I painted the new ones and installed both new pieces. My car is magnetic, you must use a primer, base coat and then clear coat. My car had 4 color variances. I had to do a color match to get the perfect match. This comes from experience. I'm VERY anal and picky and that is why I didn't allow the dealer to fix my car plus I have the tool, paint, booth, experience to do so. If I remember correctly the rocker panels each are around $800.00 list. Also, even your original bumper covers, rockers, gas cap door DO NOT match the painted metal / aluminum body panels. The urethane painted will never match the metal. Don't believe me? Look for yourself on ANY car.
Sponsored