Sponsored

Should I buy a 2022 Mustang Convertible?

Doylum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Skoda Fabia
Hi folks,

I‘m thinking of ordering a UK California Special manual for delivery later in the year. I currently don’t have a car and it would be the 2nd car, mainly for me to play around with.

With the way fuel prices are going and electric cars being en vogue , am I being foolish?

I test drove a fast back auto at the weekend and the engine was amazing… The sound and feel, intoxicating. The auto gearbox… hmm not so sure. Kept jumping up and down the gears. However, the feel of the car and looks. Wow!

Anyway, part of me just wants to do it and throw total caution to the wind… Bonus Point: Wife says get it!

What are you thoughts?

Cheers,
Doylum
Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I personally don’t understand the convertible thing (especially in the UK) but to each their own. You lose structural rigidity, aero, etc etc and it’s a sports car… convertibles belong on like, a Chrysler Seabring in my mind. It’s the same as an EcoBoost IMO though. It doesn’t make sense to me but a lot of people have them.

Again, to each their own, not hating on people that have convertibles or EcoBoosts.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The wife says get it but you feel the need to ask for a second opinion on here … ? WTF ? :crackup:

Joking aside, just accept that a mustang in the U.K. will never be the most logical / sensible choice, it’s defo a choice made by the heart and not the head :like:

WD :like:

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
I personally don’t understand the convertible thing (especially in the UK) but to each their own. You lose structural rigidity, aero, etc etc and it’s a sports car… convertibles belong on like, a Chrysler Seabring in my mind. It’s the same as an EcoBoost IMO though. It doesn’t make sense to me but a lot of people have them.

Again, to each their own, not hating on people that have convertibles or EcoBoosts.
The UK is one of the biggest markets for convertibles in general, I was driving round with the roof down in December at night and again in January, February and March; it's surprising how much opportunity there is to go topless in the UK.

We've also got a disease of most folk doing 40mph absolutely everywhere and lots of traffic, often caused by road works or one of the 40mph everywhere folk crashing and sadly it's not often you get to extend the legs of a Mustang these days without specific road trips for quieter roads or driving very early on or late in the day. I was dead set on a coupe (and still would like one) but on the various test drives I did I found that being sat in traffic with the roof down still feels special in a convertible, in a coupe I felt I could just be in a Focus or something until I got the opportunity to drive it on more open roads.

My Mustang isn't my only car though and I have something else more suited to B road fun... when there's not someone sat doing 40mph on a 60mph road.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Asking that question on this forum will likely provide you with mostly the same answer! I say do it 😎

Any doubts you have will literally melt away once you have it and can enjoy it. I personally like the idea of a convertible but wouldn't buy one myself, the Cali Special is a good investment though IMO. Second hand values are good and will be even better for a rarer model, so you've got that to fall back on if you decide it's not what you hoped it would be.

Keep us posted.

P.s. there's nothing foolish about Mustang ownership. Only one way to find out :wink:

pardoneo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ex-'16 Mustang EcoBaby // Current '16 GT Convertible
Are 2022 EU Mustangs GT available in manual trans?

I think this only applies for Mach 1 ...

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Are 2022 EU Mustangs GT available in manual trans?

I think this only applies for Mach 1 ...
They have reworked the exhaust, so they are now available again 👍

Doolin64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT convertible

Depends how plan to use the car. If I was racing/tracking/autocrossing my car than I would go with the Coupe no questions asked. I love open air motoring. Wife doesn't want me to have a motorcycle. I've done the lifted Jeep thing. Left it in my garage top off and doors off all summer. But it still drive like a Jeep. I was amazed at how quiet the Mustang was with the convertible to up. Now I have a sports car , albeit one with less structural ridgity, but I'm not pushing the car. I'm enjoying the sound, open air and cruising around. For me the convertible was a perfect mix.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Depends how plan to use the car. If I was racing/tracking/autocrossing my car than I would go with the Coupe no questions asked. I love open air motoring. Wife doesn't want me to have a motorcycle. I've done the lifted Jeep thing. Left it in my garage top off and doors off all summer. But it still drive like a Jeep. I was amazed at how quiet the Mustang was with the convertible to up. Now I have a sports car , albeit one with less structural ridgity, but I'm not pushing the car. I'm enjoying the sound, open air and cruising around. For me the convertible was a perfect mix.
That kind of speaks to my point though, I personally don’t understand why you would buy/pay for a sports car and never push it. There are a lot of other cars that you can have with more/better features and a smaller engine/a chassis designed for a comfortable ride for the same money if you don’t use the engine or chassis for its intended purpose. Again, just my opinion, don’t mean to hate on anyone.

Point being, save the sports car money if you don’t use the sports part of the car, or spend the money on a more luxurious one.

Sponsored

Blueflame1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT/CS Convertible, Atlas Blue
Buy the convertible if that's what you desire. Doesn't matter if it is a sports car that you use only a fraction of its potential horsepower or handling capabilities. If it makes you feel good and you enjoy the experience and the looks of the vehicle along with money not being a constraint, then go for it. In the end you only live once and there is no way to turn the clock back on your time here on earth. Spoil yourself and have fun !!!!

Doolin64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT convertible
That kind of speaks to my point though, I personally don’t understand why you would buy/pay for a sports car and never push it. There are a lot of other cars that you can have with more/better features and a smaller engine/a chassis designed for a comfortable ride for the same money if you don’t use the engine or chassis for its intended purpose. Again, just my opinion, don’t mean to hate on anyone.

Point being, save the sports car money if you don’t use the sports part of the car, or spend the money on a more luxurious one.

I don't think you're hating. Just explaining how I ended up with a convertible Mustang. When you're 6'2" 250lbs... most cars are too tight for my liking. I can still take the kids to school in my Mustang. I'm not in luxury car prices for a high end S series Benz convertible. Porsche Boxster was too tight. 911's too much money and I don't like those in convertible. I don't fit in Miata. There's just not a lot of convertible options out there. Most people don't push there cars. You can only do so much legally on public roads. If buying cars was based solely on the level you push the car, the lion share of people would be sporting a Camry. It's the same with the Jeep crowd. I like the look of a lifted Jeep, I've wheeled them before but decided I prefer an ATV. I still prefer the look of a lifted Jeep (Just no angry eyes). Heck my current truck is lifted. The examples go on and on.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I don't think you're hating. Just explaining how I ended up with a convertible Mustang. When you're 6'2" 250lbs... most cars are too tight for my liking. I can still take the kids to school in my Mustang. I'm not in luxury car prices for a high end S series Benz convertible. Porsche Boxster was too tight. 911's too much money and I don't like those in convertible. I don't fit in Miata. There's just not a lot of convertible options out there. Most people don't push there cars. You can only do so much legally on public roads. If buying cars was based solely on the level you push the car, the lion share of people would be sporting a Camry. It's the same with the Jeep crowd. I like the look of a lifted Jeep, I've wheeled them before but decided I prefer an ATV. I still prefer the look of a lifted Jeep (Just no angry eyes). Heck my current truck is lifted. The examples go on and on.
You’re 100% correct, most people don’t push their cars, or off-road their jeeps. It’s absolutely insane to me, but it’s the majority. I would argue that most Mustang GT owners push theirs, definitely so compared to the majority of standard car drivers. I guess part of my opinion is based on the simple fact that I’m just not a convertible fan.

Don’t worry though, in my experience I’m almost always wrong.

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
Ignore what other people think, it's your money and your choice, fuel prices are a blip and in 15 years electric cars will be a forgotted oddity. So far I've had a 2016 Ecoboost automatic convertible in Oxford White (should have ordered a V8), a 2019 Bullitt (should have ordered Magneride), a 2020 Bullitt bought because it was cheaper on 0% finance to buy new than keep the old one and have just ordered a GT automatic convertible with Custom Pack 4 in Eruption Green
Sponsored