Sponsored

Serious Topic: Help Convince me to Buy

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
There is a 2017 GT350 on a dealer lot near me that I think I can get without ADM, and I'm trying to determine if it's worth me making some budget cuts for, or if I should just wait for the future. Obviously I have been reading all of the raving reviews and such good things about this car, but I am a little on the fence.

I'm 31, single, just paid off my 2012 GT premium, and am living comfortably. I am working class. My original plan was to trade in my GT for a 2016 GT350. It was well within my budget, but I couldn't find one. Now that the 2017's cost more by default... I would have to do a 72-month vs. 60-month finance and probably not take the g/f on as many dates (ha).

I keep thinking in the back of my mind I should just wait a year and see what the Mach1 is, but then there's that itch in my brain that says "but it's not a Shelby", and that I need to go Shelby or bust. And whatever the GT500 is going to be, it will be too much power for me personally. So basically... the GT350 (and it would be a daily, year-round driver) seems like the perfect sweet spot to me.

I also live in a winter state, so I would most likely be putting all-season tires on the car, if that changes anything.

And my current car is still good, but I want to trade it before its value takes another diminishing return. I guess I'm not sure if the GT350 will really put that much bigger of a smile on my face compared to what I have now...hoping someone has some input on that.

Is anyone else in a similar situation where the car payment is not just a drop in the bucket, but still can be afforded? Is it worth sacrificing other things for? This is something I've thought about every day for the last year, and it's coming down to the time I need to jump off the cliff and buy the thing, or just totally forget about it.

Thanks.
Sponsored

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
Yup, I was on the same boat. Sold my G37 a year ago and drove around a leased Jetta and then Bought a Scion IQ in cash (Great mileage too 40 mpg :thumbsup: ).

Is it worth sacrificing other things? It depends on what your sacrificing, for me, I want to be able to live the same life style before buying the Shelby.

Have I done that? Yes I have. How? I budget really well, I know where every penny is going.

Do I make a ton of money? Heck no! BUT I really wanted the Shelby and I prepared my self to do so a year ago. PS. I have never even thought about a Mustang in my life (except when Vanilla Ice had it in his video :lol: ) but when Ford introduced the Shelby, it was game on.

What's the old saying....He who hesitates...........

Good luck!

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Seems like it's a stretch for you financially....I wouldn't get it if you have to drive it all year round; however, the GT350's performance is unlike any other mustang.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
The GT350 is the car I really want, too. But even without ADM, it runs about +50% over my new GT. And I am in a pretty good place financially. I think that I would have to be in an even better place financially before I could seriously consider getting one. And mine is DD, too, although not in winter.

If I had a GT350 I would want to go to the track pretty regularly. So after adding up the car, increased fuel and insurance, plus track time, it would be pretty darn expensive. I can't imagine modding anything on it, and the extra cost for it buys a lot of mods for my GT, which is part of the fun.

Sometimes it's best to want what you already have. If you slow down and take your time, the best decision will come to you.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Right now, it is the best bang for the buck. People are comparing the GT350 to cars that cost twice or more. If you can get one with no ADM, it is the biggest no brainer that there is. Kinda like buying a 1.5M beach house for 500K ;)

Buy the car now, because while you are thinking about it, it will probably be sold in very short order.

If you flat out can't afford it, then the decision is already made for you

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Not worth it if you're going to be running A/S rubber during the summer. If you need to DD this car, pick up another set of wheels & tires for winter. Can be had for around $1000. [MENTION=12069]Hack[/MENTION] found an inexpensive wheel that fits over the brakes, though I don't recall which one it is.

If this is all too much of a stretch financially, don't get the car and do a well-setup GT PP instead. YOLO is true, but don't YOLO so hard that it puts you on the edge of having problems.

OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input. I also budget well. The car would not put me in debt at all. I'm typically just a very conservative person, and buying it would put me outside of my comfort zone. But I agree... you only live once.

Sponsored
OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you gotta think that hard about it, and ask the community to convince you, it's probably not for you.
I typically tend to agree with that statement. I probably phrased the topic a little too strongly. This is the car that I want, but I was looking to see more if people who were in the same situation regret anything about going through with it. I know what I have now. It's more of the unknown -- once it's bought, I can't go back.

I know ultimately it is my decision, but hey... people have different experiences and stories, and that's why we have the forums here :)

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I get that. Could you ask some owners local to you to let you see and ride in their cars and get a better judgment?

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Take a look back at your finances over the last year, and subtract the additional amount you would've been paying for the GT350 each month during that time period. What's your financial situation look like now? Any months where you would've been in the red? Would it have prevented you from doing anything critical?

My car is one of my biggest hobbies, track events and car shows galore. So it makes sense for me to spend more, as it occupies my budget of "auto" and "hobby".

OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take a look back at your finances over the last year, and subtract the additional amount you would've been paying for the GT350 each month during that time period. What's your financial situation look like now? Any months where you would've been in the red? Would it have prevented you from doing anything critical?

My car is one of my biggest hobbies, track events and car shows galore. So it makes sense for me to spend more, as it occupies my budget of "auto" and "hobby".
No, I would not be in the red at any time. I just would not be saving as much as I'd "like" to.

And I understand. My car is mostly the best part of my day and I spend a lot of time driving. It's not just a point A to point B type of thing. I also don't go out to the bars or have other vices, so I look at this occupying a couple slots in the budget as well.
Sponsored