Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It stops working right from the start. It won't kick on the GoPro once staged. On my phone, it does kick it on. Then, if I manually turn on the GoPro, it shows on Solostorm that the camera is running. But as I go through the start line, it won't flip to the timing screen, where as on my phone, it does. Then when I cross the finish line, on the Tablet it does nothing until I hit the min speed threshold, where as on my phone, it stops the recording, and begins overlaying all the data for analysis.

It's something right from the start considering the GoPro doesn't start as it should. And what is more telling is there has been a half dozen new releases of Solostorm in the last two weeks. That tells me I am not the only one with issues.

Regardless, it works on my phone, so I can make it work for now. May find a used cheap tablet just for this.
All I can say is very helpful "works for me", however - what you described when you cross the finish line is exactly what it should be doing. Logger (actual logging of speed / OBD parameters / position off GPS) is started and stopped _only_ by speed triggers - course markers have no impact on that at all - they're only used to compare "laps" to each other and create segments within those laps (* staging marker is used to start the camera).

So after you trigger "stop" trigger (hovewer that is defined - in mine it is 3 seconds at 15 mph), that's when it will download the low quality video and make it available for viewing.
(** I see now that there is an option to stop logging at "Stop" marker - I've never used - it makes sense if there is a long drive back to the grid I guess).
I'd check if you don't have a difference in those settings between phone and tablet - meaning phone set to stop logging at Stop marker.

But there are clearly people reporting issues running SoloStorm with all kinds of GoPro generations.

Btw - STL Cam Challenge - Leeder (previous DS National Champion and maybe other classes too, don't remember) kicked everybody's ass in FS 1/LE.
Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
@mavisky my data is pretty limited, but it seems that the Verus wing at 12 AoA results in just driving the fronts as hard as possible while the hand of god holds the back of the car perfectly in place. Your video shows a similar car behavior. I’ve placed my Strano rear bar on full stiff, and if at the next event the back remains glued I’m going to drop AoA further until the back rotates/slides at least a little bit.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
@mavisky my data is pretty limited, but it seems that the Verus wing at 12 AoA results in just driving the fronts as hard as possible while the hand of god holds the back of the car perfectly in place. Your video shows a similar car behavior. I’ve placed my Strano rear bar on full stiff, and if at the next event the back remains glued I’m going to drop AoA further until the back rotates/slides at least a little bit.
There is some rotation, but nothing major. I have been using the helmet cam to watch my hands better but should probably try a fixed mount on the car to better capture car behavior as well.

With the Steeda setup I'm on pretty soft bar settings front and rear which does give me more roll in the corners than I'm used to, but does allow me to drive out of the corners on throttle and is pretty trustworthy in general.

In other news the cone that ended my run was removed resulting in 6th overall raw and 6th overall on PAX with 5th only a few thousandths ahead of me.

Screenshot_20240506-080545_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240506-080603_Chrome.jpg

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
There is some rotation, but nothing major. I have been using the helmet cam to watch my hands better but should probably try a fixed mount on the car to better capture car behavior as well.

With the Steeda setup I'm on pretty soft bar settings front and rear which does give me more roll in the corners than I'm used to, but does allow me to drive out of the corners on throttle and is pretty trustworthy in general.

In other news the cone that ended my run was removed resulting in 6th overall raw and 6th overall on PAX with 5th only a few thousandths ahead of me.

Screenshot_20240506-080545_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240506-080603_Chrome.jpg
Them Honda's with a laptop man...killer.
1715002379410-qc.png

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Them Honda's with a laptop man...killer.
Yea, I've run against the 85 CRX car a couple of times before. 1,500lbs on slicks and the car is run by the guys over at MCS so the suspension is expectedly friggin dialed in.

Sponsored

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I've run against the 85 CRX car a couple of times before. 1,500lbs on slicks and the car is run by the guys over at MCS so the suspension is expectedly friggin dialed in.
Crazy! I can't wait to grow my crew (and cash) and be friggin dialed in in every single aspect. Currently 2 and a half men strong in my pit crew (half for the man that is in another state for a bit haha).

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
KZ,

Might be worth running that tire by a GY dealer for an inspection. Maybe they will warranty it. Weirdness in a trailer tire is something I wont mess with.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Looks like I need to join the big front spring gang and also have DSC/Steeda take a look at the damping rate of their "race" setup. Here's me burying the front splitter into the ground under braking. Sure there's a passenger on this run, but it did it every other run too.

53704330788_f242258ec0_k.jpg

Static ride height on 295/35-19's for comparison.

53691985412_411435d046_k.jpg

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
KZ,

Might be worth running that tire by a GY dealer for an inspection. Maybe they will warranty it. Weirdness in a trailer tire is something I wont mess with.
Scott - this unfortunately isn't a Goodyear, it's a "Goodridge" which is a no-name that came on the trailer. I put a spare on to get back home from StL and ordered set of Goodyear Endurance from Tire Rack. Agree on messing with it, blow out while towing isn't fun at all.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Scott - this unfortunately isn't a Goodyear, it's a "Goodridge" which is a no-name that came on the trailer. I put a spare on to get back home from StL and ordered set of Goodyear Endurance from Tire Rack. Agree on messing with it, blow out while towing isn't fun at all.
Good choice, those Chinese tires are a recipe for disaster. And they are vindictive. They know exactly when you don't need a blow out in order to have a blow out. I've never had a problem with the Endurance tires.

Reactions: kz

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Looks like I need to join the big front spring gang and also have DSC/Steeda take a look at the damping rate of their "race" setup. Here's me burying the front splitter into the ground under braking. Sure there's a passenger on this run, but it did it every other run too.

53704330788_f242258ec0_k.jpg

Static ride height on 295/35-19's for comparison.

53691985412_411435d046_k.jpg
Mine hits all the time. Get some splitter pucks under the splitter so you can keep air flowing under it, and good to go. And go straight to the titanium ones, they last forever. The steel ones that came with mine I had half worn down after 1 autox event. The titanium ones have a dozen autox events on them and a REALLY abusive track day on them, and still have 90% life. Speed Italia on here sells them too if you want to support a site member (@Flyhalf). Great customer service if you are like me, and order the wrong hardware.

This is the #1 problem with the Steeda DSC set up. No ability to make changes. That problem is easily rectified with the open tuner.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Mine hits all the time. Get some splitter pucks under the splitter so you can keep air flowing under it, and good to go. And go straight to the titanium ones, they last forever. The steel ones that came with mine I had half worn down after 1 autox event. The titanium ones have a dozen autox events on them and a REALLY abusive track day on them, and still have 90% life. Speed Italia on here sells them too if you want to support a site member (@Flyhalf). Great customer service if you are like me, and order the wrong hardware.

This is the #1 problem with the Steeda DSC set up. No ability to make changes. That problem is easily rectified with the open tuner.
Already rocking the titanium pucks. You can see a spark or two behind the car in the photo, I think, otherwise I'd be running out of splitter at this point.

Agreed on the DSC unit. It's probably great for a weekend fun car, but then I also see AJ Hartman out there running around with just the stock Magneride calibration and putting down quick lap times too. I'm going to give DSC/Steeda an opportunity to work with me on the tuning before looking at alternate options. I was trying to do an overlay of my playback from the DSC/Steeda datalog to monitor throttle input and shock settings, but the datalog playback is running slightly slower. For instance it shows me 40 seconds of run data, but takes like 47 seconds to play back that 40 seconds so I've been struggling to get it to overlay correctly with the video I took in car to analyze it's behavior in sync with the video playback. Not sure if you've ever tried something similar with your unit.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Already rocking the titanium pucks. You can see a spark or two behind the car in the photo, I think, otherwise I'd be running out of splitter at this point.

Agreed on the DSC unit. It's probably great for a weekend fun car, but then I also see AJ Hartman out there running around with just the stock Magneride calibration and putting down quick lap times too. I'm going to give DSC/Steeda an opportunity to work with me on the tuning before looking at alternate options. I was trying to do an overlay of my playback from the DSC/Steeda datalog to monitor throttle input and shock settings, but the datalog playback is running slightly slower. For instance it shows me 40 seconds of run data, but takes like 47 seconds to play back that 40 seconds so I've been struggling to get it to overlay correctly with the video I took in car to analyze it's behavior in sync with the video playback. Not sure if you've ever tried something similar with your unit.
No, never tried anything like that. I can barely get Solostorm to work...

I am going to bet Steeda starts too low mA on the min end of the shock. Going up by 50 mA will make a massive difference, but the car dynamics significantly change too. Hopefully they work with you.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
What do you amigos think about the Potenza RE-71R tires? Found some with a single track day on em for a wicked deal and thinking about pulling the trigger. My SP2 wheels I just bought came with some gently used SuperCar 3s, so just thinking I could go ahead and start a tire depot ala @shogun32.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
What do you amigos think about the Potenza RE-71R tires? Found some with a single track day on em for a wicked deal and thinking about pulling the trigger. My SP2 wheels I just bought came with some gently used SuperCar 3s, so just thinking I could go ahead and start a tire depot ala @shogun32.
Very last production run of RE-71R was in 2019 - so they're at minimum 5 years old (ask for DOT dates).

I wouldn't spend any money on them unless you're getting them to check the fitment.
Sponsored