Sponsored

S550 Mustang GT PP long term reliability, and resale value?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The factory alignment has some slight negative camber I believe. And tread-depth gauges mean nothing if you're not checking the right part of the tread.

Turn the wheel all the way one way or another, and check the inside edges. Or crawl under the rear end and take a real hard look.

Or not, it's your life/car/tires.
Drop the condescending tone and reread the part where I said I inspect my tires OFF of the car when I put my snow shoes on. My tires are wearing evenly. Tough luck that yours didn't.
Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The factory alignment has some slight negative camber I believe. And tread-depth gauges mean nothing if you're not checking the right part of the tread.

Turn the wheel all the way one way or another, and check the inside edges. Or crawl under the rear end and take a real hard look.

Or not, it's your life/car/tires.
Because pictures are worth more than words over the internet. Left rear, right rear, and mileage. A bonus pic of a brand new ps4s tire. Every part of the tire reads just a hair under 7/32nd.

20210811_183944.jpg

20210811_183743.jpg

20210811_183728.jpg

mi_pilot_sport_4s_tread.jpg

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
87 Grand Marquis, 02 gt, 07 gt, 17 gt
I see you live in Naples, funny thing is I do too.
Oh wow not too many of us from here. I’m out in the estates but I work in fort myers. Maybe we’ll see each other on the road.

OP
OP

archangl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Oh wow not too many of us from here. I’m out in the estates but I work in fort myers. Maybe we’ll see each other on the road.
We’ve probably passed each other I drive a blue civic si sedan with triple exhaust.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Define "long term".

If you're talking indefinitely, the only potential nit to pick in my mind with these cars is electronic complexity, and being able to deal with issues well after OEM parts have dried up. I can fix anything on my old cars with the most basic tools, and things get a little more in depth with the late model stuff when things go haywire. I drive myself nuts sometimes imagining owning a late model 10+ years from now and a dash display or touch screen goes belly up.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
To your point though, think about the aftermarket. We've already got people putting Tesla screens in their Mustang's. 10 years from now if the Ford unit dies (which is also way less bespoke than you think), you'd just upgrade to whatever crazy thing they've got on the market. Kinda like how if you can't find an original 289, you swap in a new motor.
Yes, the aftermarket will likely cover the bases. You'll probably be able to source most things on Rock Auto, although you'll have the usual share of import garbage. And there are those that will prefer original parts.

I'm a keep it simple dinosaur, and some of the complexity I see on new vehicles (beyond Mustangs) is ludicrous. To put it politely. It doesn't bode well for longevity.

Last edited:

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Just a couple thoughts to answer your questions.

I came from an import background as well having 2-Z cars, 3-VW's and 4-Acura's.

I bought the Mustang because I wanted a car with real power and loved the design.

It is heavy at 3850# in stock trim (Mine was as low as 3500# at one point).

It's handling capabilities are good in stock form but a couple easy mods really unlocks it. It is capable of embarrassing cars 2-3 times as much.
Loved earlier year model VW Jetta/Audi's. Love everything about Mustang, except: rattles; suspension and handling could improve a bit. I installed Bilsteins, but it still lacking the solid, firm footing I am accustomed from having ridden Bilstein's for so many years.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Loved earlier year model VW Jetta/Audi's. Love everything about Mustang, except: rattles; suspension and handling could improve a bit. I installed Bilsteins, but it still lacking the solid, firm footing I am accustomed from having ridden Bilstein's for so many years.
I agree about the suspension in stock form. A couple small mods will fix that right up.

My current suspension is all Steeda and it's quite impressive/aggressive.

Ritwik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ritwik
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT PP2
2 of the most reliable cars we've owned so far -
1. Mark V Ford Fiesta - sold at ~100K miles - just one headlamp bulb needed replacement in this time. Driven hard, but taken care off
2. 2011 Ford Escape 2.5 - solf at ~90K - one tail lamp bulb replacement. Drove her all across the mid-west. Taken well care off
Moral of the story - if you can deal with the rare bulb replacement event, you'll be fine with Fords :)
Jokes apart - I strongly recommend buying an extended warranty unless you want to go all out on mods. The peace of mind is priceless.

Wsvi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My 2019 pp1 has been in the shop since Dec 16th of 2020 it has a new engine at this point and at this time it's there because the traction control needs service, the drive modes aren't available, hillstart assist isn't available and last but not least the cruise control wouldn't disengage without hitting the brakes really hard. My 1st ford and my last ,this is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned . I bought it new and put 18k on it before I started having problems. Ford won't do a buyback on a car that has been in the shop for right at 240 days.

Sponsored

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Personally I did not buy this because I was worried about gas money. It is a track monster when you consider the bargain you're getting. Don't expect to keep with JDM hooligans on mountain passes... Too cold. But on a prepped track you'll do awesome.

Reliability? I am not sure but it looks like Amaerica can still make motors well.

Can someone chime in for reliability?

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
Well, it won't be Honda Civic reliable, at least long term but if you're like me and only keep cars til the warranty is up, no problem. Even Ford tries to make sure the cars get through warranty without claims, lol.
That said, I think this generation is pretty sorted out now. My 15 had all the problems (driveline vibration, rattley interior panels, etc) and soured me on getting another one. There is a certain joy to a V8 RWD manual trans car that you can't get elsewhere. Although, If I was getting another fun car, I'd get a Challenger Scat Pack with the tremec.
I had a 2008 Civic Si that I bought new. Went through 3 different left front struts before the dealership finally fixed the popping noise. Panel gap became so bad on the front passengers door it started rubbing the fender. Rear spoiler rubber seam came loose. Back seat on the driver’s side window came off track lol All fixed under warranty with less than 1000 miles on it. I hadn’t even made a payment yet with all that crap happening.

So don’t believe that Honda or any other car maker is high and mighty. Every brand pumps out a turd now and then.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
Reliability? I am not sure but it looks like Amaerica can still make motors well.

Can someone chime in for reliability?
About to hit 42,000 miles on my 17 pp. It’s been supercharged for ~30,000 miles and I’ve had zero issues with anything but consumables.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
So don’t believe that Honda or any other car maker is high and mighty. Every brand pumps out a turd now and then.
So true. I can't really name the brand but I sued the poop out of a major highly touted brand because it was such a turd.

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
87 Grand Marquis, 02 gt, 07 gt, 17 gt
We’ve probably passed each other I drive a blue civic si sedan with triple exhaust.
Hmm could be, that does sound familiar.
Sponsored