Sponsored

Rumormill: Next gen coyote will be twin turbo 4.0L.

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Spoke with a service manager a few weeks ago he said the GT500 will have a 4.2 twin turbo...not sure about a 4.2 sounds strange to me ....a completely new engine? Maybe he meant 5.2?
I haven't heard a word pertaining to the new GT500 powertrain. That said, This would actually make a lot of sense, both from a development and marketing standpoint. What better way to convince the world that smaller displacement turbo V8s are the rage than stuffing one in THE car on which all other muscle cars are measured? Assuming the block is cgi, it will certainly be able to handle the boost to push north of 750hp.

It very well could happen, though I'm skeptical that development is far enough along to see the engine in a car so soon. We will see.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I won't mind a FP 4.0L V8 TT that revs to 7500rpm like the one in the AMG GT.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
I'm not so sure this time though. Germany this past week just proposed a complete ban on internal combustion engines by 2030. Who knows if it'll actually pass but other EU countries have also been pushing the idea. Everyone thinks the future is electric. So not only is the V8 going away, but gasoline engines in general most likely have an end in sight. Now Europe is always more progressive in their policies so I don't see something like this taking effect in America until at least 2035 but still, the threat remains. Look at how much hype Tesla has with the general public. I don't want to be all gloom and doom but without a major culture shift in thinking, autonomous electric cars are what the majority of drivers want sadly and it's coming quick.
I CAN'T wait for autonomous electric cars to come. I've been hyping these things for years! I don't know about you guys, but I've been looking for a reason to not have to work and I see an easy way out of it when I see Autonomous cars. Come on Tesla! Pave the way for my lawsuit!

moubayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
i always remember the scene from "I,robot" where Will Smith takes the wheel and drives the car manualy and the woman loses it completely. Personally, i dont like autonomous driving, i dont even like adaptive cruise control. My brother in law has a facelifted Teslal, its an awesome car, but not for me!

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
i always remember the scene from "I,robot" where Will Smith takes the wheel and drives the car manualy and the woman loses it completely. Personally, i dont like autonomous driving, i dont even like adaptive cruise control. My brother in law has a facelifted Teslal, its an awesome car, but not for me!
My brother in law has a model x that does 0-60 in 2.7sec. I've accepted the fact that I will never own a car that can compare to it acceleration-wise. That said, it completely lacks any character that evokes an emotional response. It's like a surgical instrument; totally sanitised.

Last edited:

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Whatever they do they better keep a manual transmission.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
(Guessing) the Shelby GT500 will be a turbo Voodoo 5.2. That car will act to warm up the crowd to a 4.0l base GT turbo car soon after.

I predict the 5.0l N/A Coyote will overlap with the new 4.0 turbo just like they're doing with the V6 and the EB. Of course Ford will ensure that the 4.0l turbo will make more power than the 5.0 so people can't complain when they discontinue the naturally aspirated 5.0.

So, when does the V6 go away? Pretty soon?

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
The future is bright for Ford enthusiasts.

Lincoln has a 400 hp/400 ft-lbs 3.0L TT V6 or the 2.7L TT that could find its way into a future Mustang.

The 3.5L TT V6 is at 375 hp/470 ft-lbs in the F-150
and 450 hp/510 ft-lbs in the Raptor.

5.2 TT is under development for the 2018 Raptor and GT500.

I'd be surprised if we don't see a 5.2L N/A engine (cross plane crank) in the mach1...at least a 5.0L GDI coming soon.

Sponsored

ravengenesis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rai
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
but the 5.0 is so new and has so many cars/trucks using it... would be a shame to drop it so soon...

although, I doubt the name "mustang" will ring v8 power in 2 generations time when electric motors would roll into affordable muscle.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
As long as they keep a V8 in the lineup as other's have said. Sure you can make smaller engines with less cylinders that produce more power, but to me nothing sounds as good as a V8, and it's part of the Mustang driving experience.

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
I like turbos on 6 and 4 cylinder engines but not on a V8. This is the reason I would choose the 458 Italia vs the 488. I hate the sound of a turbo whistle on a V8. I would choose Audi's 4.2L V8 over their 4.0 V8 TFSI any day of the week. Hopefully Ford's turbo V8 is for the GT500 and leave the GT's 5.0 alone for many decades.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I could see maybe a 500hp 4.0tt for the gt and a 5.0tt for the shelby over 700hp, some chassis weight loss and tremec 6spds standard! And try to keep adm away and have the gt500 within 5 grand of the outgoing gt500 these will sell.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
As long as they keep a V8 in the lineup as other's have said. Sure you can make smaller engines with less cylinders that produce more power, but to me nothing sounds as good as a V8, and it's part of the Mustang driving experience.
The previous generation 4.6 modular v8 some would say has better exhaust sounds the 4.6 sounds like a monster especially the terminator. With borla :headbang:
Sponsored