Sponsored

RPMs

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
This is an interesting set of statements.

Looking at the gear ratios and shift points, it seems like shifting at redline will drop the RPM to a level still above the 6250 limit. To me this would imply that you wouldn't actually be able to use the 8250 redline at a track, where straights can often be longer than 8 seconds. Will be interesting to see the actual document and to learn more about how this "feature" works.

It also seems strange that the "trigger/reset limit" for the 8-second window would be 6250 RPM, which is a relatively low engine speed, and much lower than what the Coyote can handle. Finally, it seems strange that iif the over-rev limit is activated, the max engine speed is reduced to 6250 RPM, which is once again much lower than the Coyote.

I could understand the feature if the threshold was 7000 RPM (which is the implied redline when warmed up) since every shift would reset the 8 second window, but as it stands now, with the 6250 limit, I don't see how you could run even a 1/4 mile without triggering this effect. Therefore, something here isn't making sense. My guess is that the 6250 limit only applies while the engine is warming up. Once warm, I would guess that the limit is 7000 RPM. Hopefully several of the 6250 limits are incorrect and should actually be 7000. If so, then this feature will probably not be limiting much at all.

-T

Last edited:

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon

Looking at the gear ratios and shift points, it seems like shifting at redline will drop the RPM to a level still above the 6250 limit. To me this would imply that you wouldn't actually be able to use the 8250 redline at a track, where straights can often be longer than 8 seconds. Will be interesting to see the actual document and to learn more about how this "feature" works.

It also seems strange that the "trigger/reset limit" for the 8-second window would be 6250 RPM, which is a relatively low engine speed, and much lower than what the Coyote can handle. Finally, it seems strange that iif the over-rev limit is activated, the max engine speed is reduced to 6250 RPM, which is once again much lower than the Coyote.

I could understand the feature if the threshold was 7000 RPM (which is the implied redline when warmed up) since every shift would reset the 8 second window, but as it stands now, with the 6250 limit, I don't see how you could run even a 1/4 mile without triggering this effect. Therefore, something here isn't making sense. My guess is that the 6250 limit only applies while the engine is warming up. Once warm, I would guess that the limit is 7000 RPM. Hopefully several of the 6250 limits are incorrect and should actually be 7000. If so, then this feature will probably not be limiting much at all.

-T
Which may explain why they weren't flat-shifting in those vids we've seen; I thought the shifts were slow.

Nasty99z28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 z28 with full bolt-ons and a mwc fab9
If the engine revs to 8200rpm and you shift its not gonna drop below 5000rpm so therefore it'll keep you from making a full qaurter mile pass would it not? Or god for bid you come down a short straight bang the limiter slow just enough to make the curve before the long straight so you don't drop below 5000 then it pulls rpm before you reach the end of the straight because you exceeded the time limit.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Something's just not right here. Ford's not going to produce its "most track-focused vehicle ever" and prevent it from running flat out at the track. There were plenty or reports of the cars hitting the redline last week from the media preview at Grattan. Several of those guys actually know what they're doing, and many of them are racers. Don't you think at least one of them would have reported something strange about the way the car revs - especially since Ford is pushing so hard to promote the 8,250-rpm redline? :crazy:

Sponsored

Big reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti FX50S
Something's just not right here. Ford's not going to produce its "most track-focused vehicle ever" and prevent it from running flat out at the track. There were plenty or reports of the cars hitting the redline last week from the media preview at Grattan. Several of those guys actually know what they're doing, and many of them are racers. Don't you think at least one of them would have reported something strange about the way the car revs - especially since Ford is pushing so hard to promote the 8,250-rpm redline? :crazy:
The feature could have been removed for media testing, ride alongs etc... After all it's only a program in the ECU. Similar to GM with the C7Z. Place a restrictive factory tune causing people to tune the car and void warranties preventing future losses. It makes sense considering how hard most of these cars will be driven.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

-T
Back to the GT350 ratio info, I've got a fun little excel file I made for such things a while back:

:thumbsup:

If you shift ideally, then it will not drop below 6250 in the higher gears. Definitely not a problem on the street. In the quarter mile, you will spend probably close to 4 seconds in first gear, so I don't think it will be a problem there (the entire quarter mile will only take about 12 seconds, so it will be difficult to use up the 8 seconds). Now if you were running the standing mile you might want to shift a little sooner before the red line so you don't run into the limit.

I'm not exactly sure how this feature will work based on the statement quoted in the post. Will people run into this all the time, or almost never? I know if I buy the car I probably won't be hitting the redline all the time. I typically try to shift a little early to prevent that. Also, if the car has so much power that it's spinning the tires at redline, there's no need to wind it there, especially on a road course.

I agree with this. Possibly the 8 second timer is only activated if you are holding the car at a constant rpm in one gear, not if you are accelerating through the gears. Or there's some other factor missing / unclear in the statement.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
^ Not related but aren't the rears 315?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
This seems so weird..

A Coyote can spin at 7,000 without issue or "over rev" yet the "most ambitious engine program ever" by FoMoCo cannot handle it?

C'mon...

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
^ Not related but aren't the rears 315?
Only the R. But I agree, I only think this will come into play if you are doing top speed runs and/or have a track with really long straight aways.

Sponsored

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
Well how often does anyone hold redline for more than 8 seconds?
A decent lap around VIR is about 2:08. Without digging out my traqmate data, about half of that is spent at WOT. We spend about 10 seconds in fifth going up the back straight at VIR before hitting the brake zone.

Let's not confuse WOT with holding at red line. I'm sure it will be made clear.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Originally Posted by chopsui
Well how often does anyone hold redline for more than 8 seconds?
A decent lap around VIR is about 2:08. Without digging out my traqmate data, about half of that is spent at WOT. We spend about 10 seconds in fifth going up the back straight at VIR before hitting the brake zone.

Let's not confuse WOT with holding at red line. I'm sure it will be made clear.
I'm confused. Who said anything about WOT?

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
Most people couldn't handle this car at 8250 for 8 seconds. Riding this snake will be like riding a bull at 8250

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
Most people couldn't handle this car at 8250 for 8 seconds. Riding this snake will be like riding a bull at 8250
Agreed...and not that I know "jack-crap" about racing...I just watch it on TV..lol but the peak HP and TQ are at around 6,500 RPM right?..so why run it up to 8250 for power..I thought it was just a cushion (if you will) for the shifting...hope this makes sense...:shrug:
Sponsored