Sponsored

Roush Vent gauge pod. I made it work.

Hoblick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
so i did a search on this forum and some others and saw people wanting to know if you could use a roush vent gauge pod from another mustang in the 15. No one had an answer, and looked like no one had tried it.

well i pulled my AC vent out, and headed to Jegs since its only about 35-40 min from me. They had pretty much every roush vent gauge pod in stock, i think there is only 3 anyway.

looked at all of them, and the one that fits is 403840, which is intended for the 05-09 Mustang and 04-08 F150.
this is exactly what i bought, although i thought it would have the roush gauge, but i didn't read the description that its a auto meter sport comp, which is just fine for me.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Roush+Performance/832/403840K1/10002/-1

its not a direct fit, but with a little bit of modification i got it to work. i dremeled off the 2 protruding tabs on the side of the vent pod, and then it easily slid into the chrome trim ring. you will not use the existing vent at all, so just set it aside.

after seeing the fitment, i then took some black RTV silicone and put a bead on the back side lip of the chrome trim ring, and a few spots on the inside of chrome trim ring. i then took some 2 part plastic epoxy and put it on the outside of the Roush vent pod, enough to fill the voice between the trim ring and the vent pod.

i centered the pod in the trim ring, with the chrome trim ring facing down, i put a somewhat heavy object on top of the vent pad to hold it in place in the trim ring. let it set for 15 min, and then i added some more epoxy on the back of the trim ring to the vent pod for extra holding power.

in hindsight, i think i might have tried to find a couple large o rings or something to help with a tighter fit before using some epoxy to hod it in. not that what i did won't work, but i think i might have tried that as well.

i haven't wired the gauge up, or ran the boost line, but i wanted to make sure everything would go back on before i started wiring and running the line.

so this is the test fit, looks pretty good IMO. ill have to notch a spot out of the A/C duct for the wiring and tube to go through, and i bought some wide foam window seal that i will install as well to keep the seal on the A/C duct like the factory vent.

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Nice!
Can you order the pod without the gauge ( already have one)?

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldnt it be easier to just use the EB boost gauge in the factory location?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Nice!
Can you order the pod without the gauge ( already have one)?
Yes,if you have a pp car.The gauge on the non pp is not accurate .
I just saw the pod alone($31)and ordered so thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
Holy crap you Mad Rocket! :) When I first starting reading your post, I just figured you had a non PP dash/vents and removed and replaced the extra/redundant 3rd. center vent.

It looks ok...but I just cant figure out why you would do that. Now you've got no vent on the drivers right side. How important is that gauge for you?

Dont get me wrong...to each his own! It just amazing to me how some of you guys dont mined butter knifing up there new cars like that. :)

OP
OP

Hoblick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It has a vent still for drivers side, since the roush vent pod is slatted so air comes around the gauge. That's why I why I went with the roush VENT pod. Looking at the PP gauge pack there is no way to just replac the vac gauge. It's all built together, or I would have went that route.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It has a vent still for drivers side, since the roush vent pod is slatted so air comes around the gauge. That's why I why I went with the roush VENT pod. Looking at the PP gauge pack there is no way to just replac the vac gauge. It's all built together, or I would have went that route.
The EB panel is swapped. Everything connects up and works great but it is a bit spendy.

OP
OP

Hoblick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yes,if you have a pp car.The gauge on the non pp is not accurate .
I just saw the pod alone($31)and ordered so thanks for sharing.
True, not as accurate. And it's hard to see 9 psi on a 30-30 gauge

Sponsored

woode

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Meh, not for me.. I would have just used the factory EB one. Close enough as far as accuracy, it's not like I am staring at it anyways. If I wanted real data, I would be data logging to review.

A $100 mismatched gauge hacked into the vent of a $40k car just doesn't feel right. But to each their own.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
why not just remove the gauges already there and use the holes to mount something else?

jared89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp
sheesh i dont know people are giving the op a hard time. :thumbsup: to op i mean it doesn't look bad and is functional. I am personally gonna swap mine with a ecoboost center gauge section. But this isnt a bad route either.

OP
OP

Hoblick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
why not just remove the gauges already there and use the holes to mount something else?
i wanted to retain factory oil pressure gauge. if i could have just swapped the VAC gauge with the auto meter, i would have done that, but no dice the way those are built. and i wasn't really interested in the EcoBoost gauge swap. like i said i want to keep an eye on the boost gauge, make sure its making correct PSI, never know if a hose blows off, or something else goes wrong.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
i wanted to retain factory oil pressure gauge. if i could have just swapped the VAC gauge with the auto meter, i would have done that, but no dice the way those are built. and i wasn't really interested in the EcoBoost gauge swap. like i said i want to keep an eye on the boost gauge, make sure its making correct PSI, never know if a hose blows off, or something else goes wrong.
I can totally respect that. :-)
Sponsored