Sponsored

Road Racers - Weight savings and mods

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thanks and I have seen from another forum that someone already has a bar in their R to support belts. Looked pretty good.

Have a link? Has anyone made proper sub-belt mounts like they did for the S197s?
Sponsored

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I suppose they are all over, just recall a mustang hitting the wall in 10 this past season and the driver dying. No PSE that I was aware of. I missed that event, thankfully.

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/road-atlanta-track-day-driver-killed-080515

I hit the wall at 1 once and I've spun in the rain coming down towards 12. Didn't hit anything on 12 just a joy ride. Learned a valuable lesson about painted curbing on that ride. All good fun. ;)
That's terrible. :( I guess I've been lucky to only see cars go off at 10 in actual race events. Higher speeds, but downforce + safety gear + kitty litter usually does a good job.

I have yet to go off at RA, but I only run in PCA group 2. The last instructor I rode with puckered up and tried to help brake from the passenger seat a few times because I tend to carry as much speed as I can into 1, but honestly 3-5 is my favorite section.

Here's me riding the gators on three wheels and another getting absolutely soaked in the rain. (Sorry for the OT).

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
Have a link? Has anyone made proper sub-belt mounts like they did for the S197s?

Its over on BMO. The car in question is "Wally". :hail:

350Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CY GT350 Track
Not sure if they allow direct links on this forum posted from another site. Go to boss mustang site and look for thread at top called Where's Wally. Pics of bar mount are on page 7

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thanks guys, was looking forward to seeing the watson bar mounted.

Sponsored

rick8172

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Dodge Citadel
I have a '67 Fastback semi-restored sitting in my parent's garage right now. Might be forced to sell it due to not having any space to store it and my parents want their garage back.:(
If you do sell will you post here? I'd be interested if it's a V8/manual tranny

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium 10 speed, rapid red, pp1,
Bump if not already!!

I have a 2021 GT Premium PP1 wit the 10 speed and Magneride. building the car mainly for spirited mountain cruises and maybe one or 2 autocross days a year (depending on work schedule)

I have full Steeda suspension, Headers, H pipe, OPGs and CS. next will be tuning and an interior gut. Should I do weight reduction, as in Wheels, tires, carbon ceramic brakes, carbon DS before or after cooling mods? Cooling mods would be Kenny Brown Radiator and diff cooler, bigger oil cooler, 170 degree thermostat, and some way to keep the 10r80 cooler, and later on down the line carbon fenders and hood for heat extraction.

I see people say all the time "Don"t modify cooling till it is a problem," however, watching your car go into limp mode THEN fixing it doesn't seem like a smart idea :(

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wouldn't do any of those things for what you are describing. Just leave it as is, it will be fine.

Now, if you want to get competitive in AutoX, or want to race your car, every change I would do would be based on $/lb saved.

There is a whole thread on this somewhere. Maybe it's earlier on this thread. But someone posted a $/lb saved table.

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't do any of those things for what you are describing. Just leave it as is, it will be fine.

Now, if you want to get competitive in AutoX, or want to race your car, every change I would do would be based on $/lb saved.

There is a whole thread on this somewhere. Maybe it's earlier on this thread. But someone posted a $/lb saved table.
Too bad I've already decided on it, and I make more than enough to not really care.

No. I don't wanna he competitive, just wanting to build a car I can take anywhere and have fun anywhere. From 100° days back home in Texas, to 55° days in thr Rocky Mountains.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I see people say all the time "Don"t modify cooling till it is a problem," however, watching your car go into limp mode THEN fixing it doesn't seem like a smart idea :(
How come? the whole point of the limp mode capabilities in the ECU is to prevent damage. Changing cooling before it's a problem just introduces more failure points

Sponsored

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)

How come? the whole point of the limp mode capabilities in the ECU is to prevent damage. Changing cooling before it's a problem just introduces more failure points
I'm in the business of eliminating failure points BEFORE they fail. Makes perfectly logical sense in my mind 🤷‍♂️

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm in the business of eliminating failure points BEFORE they fail. Makes perfectly logical sense in my mind 🤷‍♂️
that's literally what limp mode is.....preventing failure

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
In the exact same way knock sensors pull timing?

I'm good, thanks, though!
Ya - as soon as it cools down, you get full RPM back. Quite literally how it works.

have fun tho

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
Ya - as soon as it cools down, you get full RPM back. Quite literally how it works.

have fun tho
I will love to have fun <3

3300 pound, 5-600whp handling car will be a blastt
Sponsored