Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
WARNING: Long read ahead

When I purchased my Shelby in 2021 I knew exactly what I wanted, a base model (need back seats for kids), with Recaro, Tech pack, and Handling pack. However, I really loved the look of the CFTP wing but hated that the only way to get one was paying a ridiculous price for someone’s used part or an even more ridiculous ADM for a CFTP. Also, the wing could only be had in 2x2 weave and I was really into the chaotic look of forged CF. So eventually I purchased and installed a forged version of the s-wing to satiate my need for being different from the crowd.

AAD43CBF-D3E8-4279-B19B-4BE57F7FC45D.jpeg

But I still held out hopes that one day someone would make a forged version of the CFTP wing. That day has come!

My search began about a year ago when I had spoken with Terrence at Signature Wheel and Exhibitions of Speed. He was responsible for bringing us the Python hood vents and I had already ordered a forged version from him before taking delivery of my car.

BE67548E-3F72-47A7-8545-AF26BCCF0B7C.jpeg

Terrance showed some interest in doing the project but needed an OEM wing to scan for reproduction. I started lining up a loaner wing but the donor lived on the other side of the country. Eventually the plan fell apart so I continued looking. And this is where things started to look up, but quickly turned to đź’©.

I had seen a certain company (that I’ll not name) was in development of their own CFTP wing. Anderson Composites had just entered the game as well but they only do 2x2 weave products. So this “other company” told me they would also do a short run of forged wings. I made a deposit on that wing, and long story short, I ended up being screwed by that “company” and had to file a chargeback.

But, every cloud has a silver lining. The same day I filed the chargeback I found out Extreme Online Store had just listed a forged CFTP wing to their eBay store. I made a few calls to their main store and confirmed it was their eBay listing (just under another arm of the corporation) and that it was exactly like their weave version.

C6559075-E2D6-4DE3-9555-25B28F2A9123.jpeg

A week later I had this wing in my possession. It was extremely well packaged in foam sheets and bubble wrapped, expanding foam supports, inside a very sturdy double-walled cardboard box.

567515DA-28EF-4F61-A123-94AB91396D2F.jpeg

CE270331-32D5-4BB5-AB7A-DE8E46BF7AE8.jpeg

To compliment the new wing I also ordered the taller mounts from Archetype Racing. These mounts raise the wing 8.5” off the trunk and give it more of the GT4 look.

F5D3AF4D-05AB-4A89-8EEF-DCCBC1640EF3.jpeg

But, there’s always a catch lol. The EOS wing comes with its own mounts and dog bones. The Hyperion reuses your OEM/AC dog bones but the bolt hole distance between OEM and the EOS supplied mounts was off by about 2mm. Just enough that the EOS dog bones did not match the Hyperion base plates.

So, do I ditch the Hyperions and stay with the stock look or do I modify the EOS dog bones and hope they work? Then I remembered, Shifteck offers OEM replica dog bones for the GT350R wing which also fit the CFTP mounts. After a quick confirmation with @AngelDeath I felt comfortable ordering them.

And here is the result!

370F4568-6E09-4418-9B99-6E3DD8ACAD5F.jpeg

339B99D6-168B-4D90-B36C-510FB8B4B613.jpeg

Overall I’m extremely happy with the look. I find I look back at my car even more than before.

Some minor issues: there’s no template provided for the mounts other than a rubber gasket that seals the base to the trunk lid. I used that gasket to trace a template onto card stock and taped that to the mounts similar to another user’s how-to. Another minor gripe is the way Archetype Racing secured the uprights to the base. They use two torx shoulder bolts. This makes the wing a little less secure as anyone with a T30 torx bit can walk right up and take the wing off your car. So, I used red loctite on them. Now they’ll strip the bolt heads before they come loose. Secondly the top bolts securing the wing to the mounts use Allen head countersunk bolts with 10mm cap nuts. Also an easy point to failure for theft. To alleviate that I’m going to install security nuts from Bryce Fastener to mitigate that possibility.

If you made it this far thanks for sticking with this long review! Feel free to ask any questions you might have. Enjoy!
Sponsored

Last edited:

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Bryce Fasteners (brycefastener.com) is the way to go, custom nuts and bolts that only you have the key for. Found them when I got my wing and been telling everyone about them since 2021.

Glad it all worked out for you, looks great.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I'll say one thing for ya, Brian...you are one determined dude. <smiling> I totally agree with Jaime, the end result is totally amazing and I am a gnat's ass away from ordering the mounts. One question and one favor...

I will assume that the wing's angle of attack is adjustable and if so, is it just two selections like OEM or is it different? Not that I care about downforce, just the look. (Tom will give me grief, I'm sure.) ;-)

The favor is...could you grab a shot of the entire car from the side for us droolers so we can see the whole enchilada? :-) TIA.

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I'll say one thing for ya, Brian...you are one determined dude. <smiling> I totally agree with Jaime, the end result is totally amazing and I am a gnat's ass away from ordering the mounts. One question and one favor...

I will assume that the wing's angle of attack is adjustable and if so, is it just two selections like OEM or is it different? Not that I care about downforce, just the look. (Tom will give me grief, I'm sure.) ;-)

The favor is...could you grab a shot of the entire car from the side for us droolers so we can see the whole enchilada? :-) TIA.
Thanks! It has two positions like OEM and mine is set at the higher position, MPG be damned lol.

Here ya go buddy! It’s an untouched iPhone 12 photo.
89B61448-A921-489C-AF95-9085FB67659F.jpeg

Sponsored

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
The wing looks killer!! I'm glad to hear that you got everything resolved with your charge back.

Are these mounts taller than the GT4 mounts? How did you modify the EOS dog bones?

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The wing looks killer!! I'm glad to hear that you got everything resolved with your charge back.

Are these mounts taller than the GT4 mounts? How did you modify the EOS dog bones?
I don’t have the GT4 mounts to compare but they look similar in height.
I didn’t modify the EOS dog bones, I purchased a set of OEM replica ones from Shifteck.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Here ya go buddy!
MANY thanks, Brian and the car looks SO much more aggressive than OEM! Perzactly what I was hopoing to see and you've convinced me. When the current major projects are completed here, (new deck and pool/kool deck resurfacting,) I'll be ordering the uprights.

MAN, it REALLY looks superb! Ford should have pressed on with the GT4 idea completely.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
MANY thanks, Brian and the car looks SO much more aggressive than OEM! Perzactly what I was hoping to see and you've convinced me. When the current major projects are completed here, (new deck and pool/kool deck resurfacting,) I'll be ordering the uprights.

Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Quick question @Evolvd, I'm curious to know what it looks like in the drivers seat and looking out the mirror? With the OEM height being 5'10 I can see over the wing and doesnt impede my vision of the cars behind me, I'm curious that the GT4 height how it looks.

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Quick question @Evolvd, I'm curious to know what it looks like in the drivers seat and looking out the mirror? With the OEM height being 5'10 I can see over the wing and doesnt impede my vision of the cars behind me, I'm curious that the GT4 height how it looks.
I can see under it so if someone is driving a car I can see their face but if it’s a truck their windshield is obscured by the wing. Here’s my POV.
9C8F4C43-9180-4ACE-9B2A-847079C50C2C.jpeg

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
For those that can wait, it will be nicer.

Although all that matters is if each person is happy with what they have
Did you decide to build your own wing? Last we spoke you were working on a core and designing a mounting setup.
Sponsored