Sponsored

Registration Issue preventing cross-country drive back

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Buying the car in MA, financing all lined up. One caveat: Car can't be registered. Won't be staying in MA, and they don't issue temp permits.

Other option would be to do all paperwork by mail, including payment to them, and title/MSO mailed to me. Which runs into the issue that I can't register the car without getting the car smogged + physical inspection at a local DMV, and can't even get temp permit since it can't be registered.

Anyone know of any options I might have since I want to drive the car back?
Sponsored

AGGT350

AG Tech Black OTT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AG2016
oh no that sucks.......i thought you were going to have it shipped?

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Will they let you drive it off with a dealer plate & FedEx the plate back once you get home ?
I had an Infiniti dealer do that for me a while back.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I'm sure any Ford dealer will give you dealership paper plates. Free advertising for them!

Thats what I did when I got my GTO from pennsylvania (shipped to cali) back in 2007. Car came with no plates, I went to a pontiac dealership (RIP!) and they gladly gave me dealership paper plates.

Good luck man, enjoy the bad ass ride. if you decide to drive it, you will have broken-in that motor, id try to do an oil change along the way. Maybe do another one once the car is home.

Sponsored

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
I would think that you'd be able to drive it cross-country on a notarized Bill of Sale, especially since the state of the originating dealer doesn't offer temp tags (which is something I've never encountered). This dealer must have sold other cars out of state...

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Will they let you drive it off with a dealer plate & FedEx the plate back once you get home ?
I had an Infiniti dealer do that for me a while back.
I need some sort of temporary registration, not just plates. I.e. cop pulls you over, they only ask for license and reg.

First time dealing with this sort of thing, just wondering if I have a way to drive it back.

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I would think that you'd be able to drive it cross-country on a notarized Bill of Sale, especially since the state of the originating dealer doesn't offer temp tags (which is something I've never encountered). This dealer must have sold other cars out of state...
Small mom and pop shop in a small town, Ill have to ask them about this. Thanks

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
MN has a non-resident 30 day transport tag that is like $20. This isn't a new issue, contact a MA DMV to see if they have a similar tag.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
Virginia has a temporary trip permit allowing you to drive back. You need supporting paperwork like a Bill of Sale but its $5 and allows you to drive from the origin city to the final destination one time. Not sure if CA has something similar.

EDIT: Here you go:

CA DMV said:
25.010 One Trip Permit (CVC §4003)

A One Trip Permit (REG 402) is available from the department and may be used in lieu of California registration for movement of any vehicle except a crane.

The permit must be posted on the windshield or other prominent place and must identify the vehicle being moved.

The permit must be obtained prior to any movement of the vehicle that would require it to be registered.

The permit is valid for movement of an unladen vehicle for one continuous trip from a place:
-within California to another place within or outside of California.
-outside of California to a place within California.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Virginia has a temporary trip permit allowing you to drive back. You need supporting paperwork like a Bill of Sale but its $5 and allows you to drive from the origin city to the final destination one time. Not sure if CA has something similar.

EDIT: Here you go:
Well ill be damned!!!!! :hail: :hail:

Thank you! Im going to look into that as soon as I can. :cheers:

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lariat 3.5, 2016 GT350
Yes ca does a one way trip going out, id assume they do as well

WingnuT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1985 GT Conv, 1966 Fastback
I would have the selling dealer call DMV Nationwide. It's a company that does new car registration for dealers across the country for all different states. They did the reg for mine in TX coming to CA as a CA car.

Worth a shot as they can have the car reg started before you pick it up and will provide a temp reg on the car as they did for me. Once I got the car, I had to do the Verification and Smog Check, send it to DMV Nationwide, and they finished the process. Plates are on the way.

OP
OP

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I would have the selling dealer call DMV Nationwide. It's a company that does new car registration for dealers across the country for all different states. They did the reg for mine in TX coming to CA as a CA car.

Worth a shot as they can have the car reg started before you pick it up and will provide a temp reg on the car as they did for me. Once I got the car, I had to do the Verification and Smog Check, send it to DMV Nationwide, and they finished the process. Plates are on the way.
How much was the services? Not sure my dealer will get on board with them, but Ill ask.

Onto the one-way trip permit. DMV operator says its possible for me to get it, but they did emphasize that its only valid for the most direct, and shortest route. That means none of my planned stops apply, cant take any detours, cant try to hit up Track attack on my way back, etc. Kind of kills the purpose(other than being able to drive the car right away) of driving back.

The dmv nation office just closed, ill try to give them and my dealer a call on Monday. Thank you Wingnut
Sponsored