Sponsored

Recommendations for replacement lug nuts.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Changed out my winter tire wheel set to my all season tire wheel set yesterday on my car and noticed a few of the OEM lug nuts are starting to swell and get a little warped. I want to get a new set of lugs to use later this fall when I put my winter tire wheel set back on.

I am looking for a solid 1 piece steel lug nut set to put on my 2016 GT/CS with OEM factory rims. I did a little research on the forums and found a couple threads saying Gorilla 61148FS lug nuts are a good choice for replacing the factory 2 piece capped lug nuts. Are there other recommendations for 1 piece steel lug nuts for OEM wheels?

To clarify, I am not using aftermarket rims. I have 8 rims total of the factory black painted California Special rims; 4 rims have the Pirelli P Zero Nero all season tires and the other 4 have Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires on them. Specifically looking for a good set of quality lug nuts that will last a long time, won’t be easily warped and are compatible with factory rims.
Sponsored

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Changed out my winter tire wheel set to my all season tire wheel set yesterday on my car and noticed a few of the OEM lug nuts are starting to swell and get a little warped. I want to get a new set of lugs to use later this fall when I put my winter tire wheel set back on.

I am looking for a solid 1 piece steel lug nut set to put on my 2016 GT/CS with OEM factory rims. I did a little research on the forums and found a couple threads saying Gorilla 61148FS lug nuts are a good choice for replacing the factory 2 piece capped lug nuts. Are there other recommendations for 1 piece steel lug nuts for OEM wheels?

To clarify, I am not using aftermarket rims. I have 8 rims total of the factory black painted California Special rims; 4 rims have the Pirelli P Zero Nero all season tires and the other 4 have Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires on them. Specifically looking for a good set of quality lug nuts that will last a long time, won’t be easily warped and are compatible with factory rims.
Gorilla

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I have these and have been very happy with them. Bought two extra keys for them as soon as they came. I know any lock lug can be defeated but it's a bit of extra protection and they all match.
Screenshot_20240520_115340_Gallery.jpg
Do you torque them to the full 150 ft-lb spec? I looked at these, but the construction makes me a little concerned. I couldn't find any max torque specs on the Gorilla site, so just curious how they're working for you.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Do you torque them to the full 150 ft-lb spec? I looked at these, but the construction makes me a little concerned. I couldn't find any max torque specs on the Gorilla site, so just curious how they're working for you.
Yes, I torque them to 150ft lbs with a torque wrench. I've had them on for 4 years now and no issues. In the south I don't need to switch to winter tires so they only come off for replacement and rotation and spring cleaning.

Sponsored

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've got Gorilla and yes 150.

OP
OP
Crew4991

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I have these and have been very happy with them. Bought two extra keys for them as soon as they came. I know any lock lug can be defeated but it's a bit of extra protection and they all match.
Screenshot_20240520_115340_Gallery.jpg
Are the black colored ones worth it? Do they hold up well against scratches?
I feel like they would get all scraped up and look terrible after a few times taken on and off. Curious of your thoughts.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Gorilla for sure. I ran black gorilla ones on my factory wheels. They do get a little scuffed up after a few removals and reinstalls. But not too bad. And yes 150# for torque. :)

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Are the black colored ones worth it? Do they hold up well against scratches?
I feel like they would get all scraped up and look terrible after a few times taken on and off. Curious of your thoughts.
I can't say that they are unmarked but I wouldn't call them beat up. And all marking is inside the lug nut barrel, you don't see anything on the outside of the lug nut.
Here's a photo I just went out and took, dirt and all. I haven't given it it's spring clean yet. 4 ish years of use.
20240521_133750.jpg

Sponsored

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
I was always taught with alloy wheels, torque to 100-105ftlbs, so have been doing mine to 105ftlbs for many years

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I have these. Took a couple weeks to get, but seem to be very well made and have a unique spline drive that cant be removed with other standard tuner type spline drive sockets

https://www.honesti22.com/products/...open-end-lock-lug-nuts?variant=39282415730853
Hope you ordered a spare key or two.
I'm certain mine are not as secure as those and I've just got stock wheels but I still keep a key in the trunk with the spare, another in the glove box-because that's where the tire shops look and one in my tool box. I really don't want to have to risk screwing something up for want of a key.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I was always taught with alloy wheels, torque to 100-105ftlbs, so have been doing mine to 105ftlbs for many years
The torque spec is determined by the stud diameter, thread pitch, and material- not the wheel material

23GreenGremlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
Gorilla also makes regular black lug nuts for Mustangs. Finish is doing well over the first year but I always take care to use a 6-point socket and a manual wrench to help reduce damage.

Black Lug Nuts.jpg