Sponsored

Recall and Immediate Stop Sale on 8,026 GT350 and GT350R Models: Engine Oil Cooler

viva_brasil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nik
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
I think there's some misunderstanding here. I don't work for Ford, but I manage processes like this all the time, so just want to clarify what these timelines usually look like.

This is for a manufacturer-identified recallable issue - NOT a customer identified issue. This appears to be something Ford identified in their own reliability testing and are updating out of good will. Even if it appeared in a customer car, it's <1% so would not fall into the category of a customer-driven recall. We can debate this endlessly, but I have a strong hunch that's the case.

-> Part Failure / Issue: A part fails - likely during reliability testing on one of their test cars or test motors that has more miles than any other GT350 sold, they're purposely trying to break stuff and pushing the boundaries of the reliability specs and looking for potential safety issues. Ford tells supplier the part doesn't meet a reliability spec (certain amount of hours at a pressure and temperature) - or that they need to increase the spec. Either way, the part must be revised.

-> Supplier Part Review: Supplier sends a new part according to new spec, Ford tests, they go back and forth depending on complexity and finally sign off on the new part, cost, and production volume / schedule needed.

-> Supplier Part Production: Supplier updates their part production (tooling or process changes) to start mass producing the updated part and shipping to Ford for assembly.

-> Ford Phases new Hose Into Production (SEP 1): Ford makes a call on when to switch to the new hose, if they want to throw away the old hoses or deplete the inventory. They'll start this planning sooner, but it takes time to get the new design tested, manufactured at scale, and landed at the Ford assembly plant.

-> Ford Announces Recall: The new hose at this point is tested and verified in mass production vehicles, Ford will now start defining the retroactive FIX for cars with the old hose.

-> Ford defines a retroactive FIX: Ford figures out how to retroactively fix the issue. This may involve the new part, but it may also be a dealer-performed service (adding an extra crimp to the hose). This is completely separate from developing a new part and rolling the fix into production. The details here are exactly how the repair should be performed, if the line should be sent back to the supplier, if the supplier will cover the cost, etc. etc. There are contracts, negotiations, training materials, this is a PITA and is the part that will take till Q1 2017.

-> Ford rolls out the FIX with dealers: Dealers are now ready to take cars in and know the procedure to follow to ensure quality and consistency.

Yes sir, silly how some can even think that the newer ones have some new part that alleviates the issue, yet there is no current fix for current owners. Blatantly obvious to me, they determined the risk was low enough that they would continue to sell the cars, and just fix them at a later date.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Interesting but then why notify everyone now instead of waiting? and create bad press that won't get solved for months, possibly hurt sales, resale values, and open them up to possible claims by not telling people to stop driving their cars or stop selling post-September cars even though they knew about the problem? why not wait until the fix is ready or is there some kind of legal obligation to do so now? If that's the case it would seem they should also be obligated to tell anyone buying the ones outside of those build dates that their cars may be affected too.
Everyone wasn't notified now, owners won't receive a letter/email until the first week in December. The original post by Swedensky is what dealers received, as he works for a Ford dealership. It is only because it was "leaked" on here that everyone knows about it before the owners actually receive official word by the way of mail or email.

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Everyone wasn't notified now, owners won't receive a letter/email until the first week in December. The original post by Swedensky is what dealers received, as he works for a Ford dealership. It is only because it was "leaked" on here that everyone knows about it before the owners actually receive official word by the way of mail or email.
True but they did announce it today in the press release so it basically leaked a day early. Yea owners won't be individually notified until later but they pretty much put everyone on notice since it affects so many vehicles and you can just check online.

All I'm saying is given how early they announced it and that it only covers cars built before september it seems some kind of solution is in place or maybe some of them were from a different supplier. That would explain why not everyone within the period is affected by the recall. :shrug: I only care so much as I'm looking at one now..

Julio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 (Ford Mustang Shelby)
Vehicle Showcase
Still cannot find my car on any link...and cannot trust it's one of the few not to be affected...

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Still cannot find my car on any link...and cannot trust it's one of the few not to be affected...
I think it is safe to say that all are affected. The newer ones are not in this round, but will probably be included in a future date.

OP
OP
swedensky

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lariat 3.5, 2016 GT350
Yours is not appearing to be under the recall. However your Oasis does state "Service Info May Be Unavailable" but I would weigh on the side of not affected based on your build date.

Just to clarify as I haven't checked back in until now:
Not all foreign models are exempt. I have run another Canadian model that was affected.

If anyone is still concerned that all three sites are incorrect or are not showing your car, feel free to PM me the Vin# and I will check your Oasis.

OP
OP
swedensky

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it is safe to say that all are affected. The newer ones are not in this round, but will probably be included in a future date.
Incorrect, we have had two other members clarify they are not affected per VIN# and with builds most likely before the dates specified.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
People may still be able to purchase a used GT350 even if it has the recall. Not on a Ford lot, but if it ends up on a Chevy, Dodge, etc lot they aren't going to necessarily be on top of the latest mfr specific issues. That happened to us when Honda had a recall on the Element for a brake issue. The Honda dealer wouldn't even let us take one off the lot for a drive, but a Hyundai dealer had no problem at all with a test drive. They probably had no clue.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I keep punching my VIN everywhere , and it does not show affected... My build date is May 2016..

1FA6P8JZ7G5524718

How come?

Sponsored
OP
OP
swedensky

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I keep punching my VIN everywhere , and it does not show affected... My build date is May 2016..

1FA6P8JZ7G5524718

How come?
You're clean. No stds. Congratulations!

Also by the way your build date is April 19, released April 29, and delivered May 12.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
So an indication of maybe a batch built w/o this issue.... hence, a good supplier within specs at that specific timeframe when the affected part was built?

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
You're clean. No stds. Congratulations!

Also by the way your build date is April 19, released April 29, and delivered May 12.
Thanks ! Maybe due to my car being ordered in Germany , and delivered in US?

Anyway, not sure if I should trust it, but I'll keep driving, that's one thing for sure:headbang:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Incorrect, we have had two other members clarify they are not affected per VIN# and with builds most likely before the dates specified.
You are missing my point (that was written between the lines)...... either they fell through the cracks or those few got "special" oil cooler lines that none of us did. I highly doubt that a few cars got different oil cooler lines where the vast majority of us did not.

Time will tell.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I'm a cool kid.

Year: 2016 Make: FORD Model: Mustang

Number of Open Recalls: 1

NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> AWAITING# Recall Date: October 24, 2016
Manufacturer Recall Number: 16S40

SUMMARY:

ENGINE OIL COOLER TUBE ASSEMBLIES ON VEHICLES BUILT WITHIN THE SUSPECT DATE RANGE MAY HAVE INSUFFICIENT CRIMPS THAT COULD LEAD TO A HOSE SEPARATION AND AN OIL LEAK. SAFETY RISK:

SUDDEN LOSS OF ENGINE OIL MAY RESULT IN ENGINE FAILURE, AND IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A FIRE. REMEDY:

OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE ENGINE OIL COOLER TUBE ASSEMBLY REPLACED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. FORD IS EXCLUDING REIMBURSEMENT FOR COSTS BECAUSE THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY PROGRAM WOULD PROVIDE FOR A FREE REPAIR FOR THIS CONCERN. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
RECALL STATUS:

Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available
MANUFACTURER NOTES:

TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.
If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner, please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.
This recall data last refreshed:

Oct 26, 2016
Sponsored