Rear end knocking sound

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Not a good day for my Mach 1. Dropped off at the dealer for an estimated 3 day job. Knocking sound from right rear axle. Service rep said "play between axle and differential" have to pull the entire "New torsen" rear end. 1 yr old and 6000 miles?? Concerned about long term issues. I asked if I could be a clutch pack and was told no. Anyone have similar issue?
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Not much in there to cause play. I suspect a missing or damaged cir-clip.

OP
OP
kellyreno

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Not much in there to cause play. I suspect a missing or damaged cir-clip.
They said no safety issue, I could continue to drive. Seems odd?

OP
OP
kellyreno

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Any video of the knocking?
No, again I thought it was the nail hitting the tire. Windows were down on a nice spring day, not loud at all. Now, I seem to hear the clunk when shifting from reverse to drive going uphill. Why 3 days, you would think it could be done more quickly unless parts are needed. Dealer has 30 bays.

Sponsored

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Not a good day for my Mach 1. Dropped off at the dealer for an estimated 3 day job. Knocking sound from right rear axle. Service rep said "play between axle and differential" have to pull the entire "New torsen" rear end. 1 yr old and 6000 miles?? Concerned about long term issues. I asked if I could be a clutch pack and was told no. Anyone have similar issue?
I was also told I cannot be a clutch pack, but effthem I can be anything I want to be.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
wow that looks really loose. what was that?
It’s called drivetrain backlash. All cars have it, although some may be worse than others, especially if a rear end hasn’t been properly set up during assembly.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
kellyreno

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Well, I picked her up after 3 days. The dealer said this: Seems strange how an axle could be "not seated"?
bill.jpg

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Well, I picked her up after 3 days. The dealer said this: Seems strange how an axle could be "not seated"?
bill.jpg
I'm not sure how a half shaft that wasn't seated properly for 6k miles caused no addition damage. I would have another shop look at it just to be sure and if there is bring that to ford. Never trust dealer assessments, usually just a kid with a high school diploma who can turn a wrench working on those unfortunately.

OP
OP
kellyreno

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Well, I took a road trip of 240 miles and rolled over 8,000 miles. However developed a vibration on the interstate. Comes on about 70 mph and stops around 80 mph. First noticed in the rear view blurred vision. Also the door panel but not in the wheel? First thought wheel weight, nothing there. No codes, not RPM related? Thinking drivetrain because of the narrow mph range. Tranny or driveshaft. I need an oil change so the next stop is the beloved dealer. I wonder if other Mach 1 drivers had a similar issue. I keep thinking about my rear axle that took 3 days to repair.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Well, I took a road trip of 240 miles and rolled over 8,000 miles. However developed a vibration on the interstate. Comes on about 70 mph and stops around 80 mph. First noticed in the rear view blurred vision. Also the door panel but not in the wheel? First thought wheel weight, nothing there. No codes, not RPM related? Thinking drivetrain because of the narrow mph range. Tranny or driveshaft. I need an oil change so the next stop is the beloved dealer. I wonder if other Mach 1 drivers had a similar issue. I keep thinking about my rear axle that took 3 days to repair.
I think @K4fxd nailed it with the inner end circlip.

Now, for the vibration, head on over to the famous driveshaft vibration thread. It is super long now. But, it could be that the dealer disconnected the driveshaft for troubleshooting, and did not reconnect it at the same clock orientation. Jack up your car and crawl under there to see if the paint marks match at both end of the driveshaft.
Sponsored