Sponsored

Rear Diff Swap (Torsen)

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
messing with a pinion flange also has to do with the crush washer to unless you have torque specs for just the flange without the crush washer installation for the pinion gear you're rolling the dice on a critical component. i wouldn't. whole pumpkin is the way to go imo.
Normally you would be correct, but in this case…. See the Ford supplied instructions posted above.
Sponsored

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Normally you would be correct, but in this case…. See the Ford supplied instructions posted above.
looks like i'm just correct cause they give you specs to do that lol

OP
OP
MrMike

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely still easier to swap the assembly. You have to remove and replace the assembly either way. The pinion does not have to come out if only replacing the carrier(tracklok or torsen).
Ok so everything but the pinion comes out, which is still a bit rough for someone with zero experience. I'll just check every couple days for a low mileage Torsen.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
They do not give you a spec to do that, but they do tell you how to measure the spec needed to do it.
specifying a procedure for doing a job is giving... specifications... specs....

Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
specifying a procedure for doing a job is giving... specifications... specs....
You’re right, I’m wrong. I’ll leave the diff work to experts like yourself and I’ll just stick to the simple things like oil changes.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
That's rotational torque, which is the proper method. That number is typically in the range of 20-30 in/lbs
Even lower, like 12-15 in/lbs. Changing the flange is not a big deal other than the big Jesus nut is deform-locked on and takes a bit of time with a punch/chisel to free up. It seems like people just go out of their way to make things a big deal that just are not.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
You will need several other tools, including a dial indicator to build it. Just swapping to a torsen with the same ring and pinion isn't a horrible job. Replacing the pinion is where it gets significantly more difficult.
Exactly.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
messing with a pinion flange also has to do with the crush washer to unless you have torque specs for just the flange without the crush washer installation for the pinion gear you're rolling the dice on a critical component. i wouldn't. whole pumpkin is the way to go imo.
Which is why you do the roll-over torque before you pull the nut. You're not changing crush or anything related to pinion position.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even lower, like 12-15 in/lbs. Changing the flange is not a big deal other than the big Jesus nut is deform-locked on and takes a bit of time with a punch/chisel to free up. It seems like people just go out of their way to make things a big deal that just are not.
The spec in my WSM is 22-34 lb-in which is actually higher than most diffs I’ve done.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
The spec in my WSM is 22-34 lb-in which is actually higher than most diffs I’ve done.
That's fair. Mine was a little lower.

Lbj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT. A10 auto
I got mine from midway mustang out of a 2019 gt auto 355 torsen 27k miles on it for my 2019 gt auto but i have never Heard of anyone say that there been any trouble when changing a differential and have vibration after the installation
Sponsored