Sponsored

Rattling type sound while in sport mode?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Just an update on this situation guys. I took the car to the dealership, confirmed the noise and they pulled up an internal note (not a TSB) that might be this issue. It reads:

SSM 46173 - Some 2016-2017 GT350 Mustangs Might Exhibit Piston Rattle From Idle to 3000

Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type noise during cold operation at light loads and speeds from idle - 3000 RPM. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may be also noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound.

I guess it could be this issue but I'm not sold on it. The sound possibly fades a little bit as the car warms up but doesn't go away. I rode with a tech who said he heard these sounds in other GT350's and once heard a similar sound in a regular GT Mustang. He said that it was being caused by the aftermarket exhaust on the GT... I'd be more inclined to believe it's something reference the exhaust since I only hear it in sport exhaust mode. But my dealership won't move on this as they apparently will only do something if they can find a TSB about it. I may try taking it to another dealer but I've tried that with other issues on my 15 GT with no luck. Sound annoys me a bit but doesn't kill the fun so I may just deal with it.
I recently rented a '18 5.0 GT and it has piston slap. It is not specific to the 5.2 voodoo.

Try looking around and finding a piston slap audio clip and see if that is what you are hearing. I don't hear anything in your audio clip.
Sponsored