Sponsored

question for those with Active Exhaust

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
so I just got my car used. It has active exhaust. my question is why is it louder than a stock exhaust? I know it has the valves but are the actual mufflers the same? maybe I should call Ford but what i"m ultimately wondering is if I added headers would it be louder than an otherwise stock car with headers and no active exhaust if that makes sense?
Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
You have modes, in quiet it will be quieter and in track it will be louder (normal is pretty much the same volume as regular mufflers). The valves change the route of the exhaust gas from a partial/full straight through design in normal/sport/track, or through the muffler in quiet.

Adding headers will not change that, it will still be quieter or louder than the equivalent non active setup, depending on what mode you're in.

Stand behind the car and look through the tip while someone changes the modes, or watch a youtube video if you don't understand what I mean.

OP
OP
choate

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even w the stock resonator this this makes some good noise in track mode. Quiet mode is quieter than any other stock V8 I’ve ever heard. Headers and track mode would scream. I may have to avoid that but the best part is you can turn it on and off in 2 seconds

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it does, I have the Corsa x-pipe with my active exhaust, it's reasonably raucous. Almost as loud in track mode as the Xtreme catback was on my 16, and probably too loud for a lot of people in track, but still dead silent in quiet.

Nevertheless I will get headers in the not-too-distant future. Current plan is bullet mufflers/resonators in place of cats, and then figure out if I need to add more resonators.

OP
OP
choate

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah it does, I have the Corsa x-pipe with my active exhaust, it's reasonably raucous. Almost as loud in track mode as the Xtreme catback was on my 16, and probably too loud for a lot of people in track, but still dead silent in quiet.

Nevertheless I will get headers in the not-too-distant future. Current plan is bullet mufflers/resonators in place of cats, and then figure out if I need to add more resonators.
Good to know it’s still quiet in that mode. So couple another questions since you seem to have played around with it. I just got mine Saturday.

So when you set your “quiet start time” and from what I can see it’s for 1 hour windows or more, does the exhaust stay in quiet mode for the full hour then switch to whatever driving mode you’re in?

Apparently you cant set it to start in quiet mode manually. Meaning turn on the accessories, go to exhaust modes and select quiet mode. When I do that the car starts and doesn’t sound quiet and if you look down it’s in normal mode but this is outside of the time window I selected for start stop quiet start.

And finally couldn’t you just run your exhaust in normal mode if the headers make it too loud in track mode?

Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I have no idea if it automatically changes from quiet to normal while driving, I switch straight to My Mode (set to track exhaust), as soon as I'm out my driveway and down the street. Interesting question though.

No you can't set it to start in quiet mode manually. If you do that it will start for half a second in quiet but switch straight to normal on its own. At least if you do that you can simply click "OK" straight away to switch it back to quiet, as you'll already be in the exhaust menu. That's what I do if I need to start in a different mode.

Yeah I could do that, but I think it will be too loud even in normal with headers.

ninjacoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
I have my quiet start set from 12am to 12am. It always starts in quiet mode. It will stay in quiet mode indefinitely unless I use the toggle switch to change into sport or track. Moving the shifter to sport however will not change the exhaust. This is my usual mode when cruising around.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I have my quiet start set from 12am to 12am. It always starts in quiet mode. It will stay in quiet mode indefinitely unless I use the toggle switch to change into sport or track. Moving the shifter to sport however will not change the exhaust. This is my usual mode when cruising around.
You drive around in quiet mode all the time? Do you have headers?

Demonic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
the active valve exhaust mufflers are different than the non active valve exhaust, they are alot smaller. I have the ave and i just got my h pipe installed and its alot louder than i thought it would it be. when i do headers i may look into a milder axel back like magnaflow street

ninjacoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
You drive around in quiet mode all the time? Do you have headers?
I drive around in quiet mode about 80% of the time. I like being stealthy. Drag mode the other 20%. Exhaust is still stock. I have the Hellion sleeper kit waiting to be installed and will see how that changes the tone before I decide on a resonated x or not.

Sponsored
OP
OP
choate

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the active valve exhaust mufflers are different than the non active valve exhaust, they are alot smaller. I have the ave and i just got my h pipe installed and its alot louder than i thought it would it be. when i do headers i may look into a milder axel back like magnaflow street
That makes sense. B/c a non-active valve muffler is going to be open all the time. I've got a Mak delete kit ready to go on and an X pipe, but honestly it might be too much. We'll see. I can always go back

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
I drive around in quiet mode about 80% of the time. I like being stealthy. Drag mode the other 20%. Exhaust is still stock. I have the Hellion sleeper kit waiting to be installed and will see how that changes the tone before I decide on a resonated x or not.
I'm curious how its going to sound with the turbos. I just had my LPF twin turbo kit installed and also have active exhaust! I'm sure in quiet mode you'll probably only hear the whistle from the turbos

ninjacoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
I'm curious how its going to sound with the turbos. I just had my LPF twin turbo kit installed and also have active exhaust! I'm sure in quiet mode you'll probably only hear the whistle from the turbos
Same here man. I can’t wait to hear it. I am waiting on the intercooler to ship then I can knock out the install in a weekend or two. Only problem is winter is settling in.