Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
If I kept my car after going through 5 cats on the Roush calibration I was 100% blowing the warranty and going to get a VMP tune and a upgraded intercooler brick from Jokerz Performance. Roush should be using the Jokerz brick to address the cooling deficiencies. There is no way they don’t know this is a problem.

Last edited:

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3 Mustang, 1967 Chevy Chevelle
If I kept my car after going through 5 cats on the Roush calibration I was 100% blowing the warranty and going to get a VMP tune and and upgraded intercooler brick from Jokerz Performance. Roush should be using the Jokerz brick to address the cooling deficiencies. There is no way they don’t know this is a problem.
I have been looking at that myself. I cant seem to find any dealer around me to honor the Roush warranty(2 years left) on my RS3 anyways, so what good is it? The one Ford dealer that also was Roush dealer dropped them a few years ago and now lost their tech that they had work on these cars. I cant even get a simple tune revision from Roush without traveling 4 hours away. I was looking at Wengerd, OZ and VMP. I am just not sure which one yet.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I know the feeling. I have to travel at least two hours to get to a dealership that has a Roush tech. Interesting that last time I went for a calibration/tune update, the tech decided to change the speedometer to match the 20 inch tire sizes...well the speedometer went from reading 2 mph below actual speed to reading 5-6 mph below actual speed. I know he was trying to be helpful :). The next time I go in, I will ask him to reverse the speedometer settings or figure out which are the correct values to use.

I have been looking at that myself. I cant seem to find any dealer around me to honor the Roush warranty(2 years left) on my RS3 anyways, so what good is it? The one Ford dealer that also was Roush dealer dropped them a few years ago and now lost their tech that they had work on these cars. I cant even get a simple tune revision from Roush without traveling 4 hours away. I was looking at Wengerd, OZ and VMP. I am just not sure which one yet.

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I know the feeling. I have to travel at least two hours to get to a dealership that has a Roush tech. Interesting that last time I went for a calibration/tune update, the tech decided to change the speedometer to match the 20 inch tire sizes...well the speedometer went from reading 2 mph below actual speed to reading 5-6 mph below actual speed. I know he was trying to be helpful :). The next time I go in, I will ask him to reverse the speedometer settings or figure out which are the correct values to use.
It's always something with them for sure. Seems there are some real good dealers and service shops around and not so good. I am stuck with the not so good.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I would go with Wengerd. The transmission tuning alone made me realize how bad the Roush tune is. They DO have good customer service but between them and the dealerships it takes forever to get warranty work done. Took 3 weeks to get a serpentine belt and idler pulley fixed under warranty because when the dealer contacted them about the issue, they said my warranty was invalid because I hadn't filled out a warranty card and sent it in. That was never an issue with my 2018 and I had numerous tune revisions on the 19... I asked the dealer when I bought my 18 about the card and they said they take care of it. Asked when I bought the 19, they said they take care of it.... I called them when Roush said I had no warranty and the parts guy I talk to all the time said "I have never filled one out and do work on them all the time". After he called Roush, they told him he had to start doing it or force the customer to.. So he filled one out for me and emailed it in... Roush still made ME fill out another one before covering the work.

In a stock 2018, drag mode made the shifts feel amazing! Roush neuters it to keep the half shafts safe so it just shifts.. Having drag mode back at WOT with this kit is ridiculously fun. And scary at the same time :p

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Besides the cat issues and cooling inefficiency, trying to find a dealer and how slow things move to get warranty repairs done I would strongly advise against anyone throwing this set up on. Just not worth it. Any other kit with a tune not ragged out from a reputable company you will have a nice long experience with your car. I really hoped Roush would have figured it out by now. Since Ford Performance cut ties with Roush I can only imagine it could get worse. Hope it works out for you!

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I
Besides the cat issues and cooling inefficiency, trying to find a dealer and how slow things move to get warranty repairs done I would strongly advise against anyone throwing this set up on. Just not worth it. Any other kit with a tune not ragged out from a reputable company you will have a nice long experience with your car. I really hoped Roush would have figured it out by now. Since Ford Performance cut ties with Roush I can only imagine it could get worse. Hope it works out for you!
I have thought about selling my 67 Chevelle and Roush and just buying a new GT500 & be done with it.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I

I have thought about selling my 67 Chevelle and Roush and just buying a new GT500 & be done with it.
That’s what I did. My 19 RS3 was a beautiful car and I got fed up and bought a 21 GT500 and there is no comparison. If you get a chance to drive one you’ll see what I mean. My wife even noticed the difference. From the powertrain to the suspension to the insane brakes and the overall ride it’s quite remarkable what they were able to do with the same Mustang platform as the Ecoboost snd GT’s and turn it into a GT500. The 21 GT500 and the 19 Roush Stage 3 below.

IMG_0651.png
IMG_5075.jpeg
IMG_5071.jpeg

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I would go with Wengerd. The transmission tuning alone made me realize how bad the Roush tune is.
I have been debating this more and more. Not sure who could do the tuning for me here in Ontario (GTA) but having dropped 20k on a product I have to admit I'm a little frustrated that SPORT is a little rough when shifting still and TRACK is like a frigging Viking invasion on my neck and spine.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
Funny you mention that. When the dealer was trying to figure out WHY THE NEW FUCKING ENGINE in my car was misfiring like the old one, they called me and finally mentioned that they thought it was tuned. I was like, it says headers and the drag radials were the reason my warranty was voided, why didn't you tell me you thought it was tuned.. They were like because we thought you knew it had to be tuned for the headers... I was like WTF man, I ran the headers with the stock tune for a year and a half.. He was like thats why your fuel trims were all off. Okay jackass.. Then he said they could see it was flashed by a non-roush device. I asked him if it mattered at this point because it has the Roush tune on it and it's still misfiring on a new engine.. He said it didn't matter but wanted to know if I did a gear change, was running a smaller pulley, and also wanted to know the fuel I was running because the car was setup for E85... I about came unglued. No.. I never changed the rear end gears.. How is the car setup for E-85?!?!?! Do you see bigger injectors? Another Fuel pump? New fuel lines? I can't run E85 then you dipshit, it will run out of fuel. And if I had been running E85, I would have those item in the car and I wouldn't be bringing it to you because it wouldn't have blown the engine in the first place. (he said people try it with this kit...)

The pulleys had been replaced under warranty... He told me the pulley on the blower didn't have some compound over the bolts... I said I don't know why but the dealer doing the work had to have taken it off for some reason... I asked if the blower snout had been ground down? Because you have to do that apparently... He then said maybe they put the stage one pulley back on... Seriously?!??! There is no stage one pulley, the only difference is the tune... He actually verified this by looking it up... Oh, you're right... Yeah.. I know, I have had two of these cars.. Dumbass.

He also told me what they had tried.. Roush told them to change the tire sizes because the bigger drag radials may be causing it... Misfires? Fuck off.. I told him to put it back to the stock size right fucking now because I still run my stock 19's when the 20's need new tires.

I kinda have to laugh because they were really struggling with the misfires and had flashed two Roush tunes to it already, which he sent me the codes from Roush.... Good thing the headers that voided my warranty are gone huh? He did actually apologize and said that it didn't matter, they WILL get me a working car. It took them reflashing the PCM back to stock.. Ford Stock.. Then flashing the Roush tune (a third voucher code mind you), and doing 6 crank relearns..

Fuck this thread is never going to die. I really only wanted to mention the tire size thing after reading your comment... Then... I gave you a wall of text that condenses at least 10 of my posts...

I'll end with a question.. At the very beginning of the thread some dude from Australia said he bought a stage II kit from Tickford that has a smaller pulley and supporting mods and it's all warrantied.. How? Did they grind the blower snout? I wonder how that car is holding up and what the owner thinks of it two years later.. I get the feeling from posters in this thread that it would just heatsoak even faster and pull timing enough that it wouldn't matter. I'll find his name and post in a second.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
I

I wish I could say I know what I want to own next but I am happy that this particular car is fixed and running properly. I am not a Mustang nut, and this will be the last one I own. If I break it by adding more mods then I'm fine with that, but if it starts breaking down and nickel & diming me because of random shit I'll have to get rid of it. If you can believe it, I actually hate driving for the most part and having a car like this a bad idea so I just stay away from fast cars in general.

I hate to be a hardparker (car show type, which I don't do), everybody checks the green out.. The rims are the icing because it DOES look good with green windows on the wheels. It gets way more comments than my blue one ever did.. With the dragstrip closing I'm going to have to go to Mexico way more often because I don't like to drive it nicely. I didn't buy it to be nice to it, and it's going to be difficult to beat the shit out of it without the dragstrip.

I don't regret buying the Roush kit, twice :) At the time, I needed a warranty for piece of mind and would do it all over again. I do love the fact that my car says 5.0 on the side while I'm stomping down that hellcat or Porsche GT3.. Or a motorcycle :p It wouldn't make me smile like that if it was a GT500. I could have bought a ZL1 but I don't like the thought of spending stupid money on a car like that or a GT500. I can afford it, I just don't like to drive enough to justify the payments on a car like that... And yes, over time I spent that kind of money on this car. Damn thing has 23,000 miles on it and has gone through 4 sets of rear tires because I only put DR's on it.

My next car will probably be a base model Corolla.. No shit. I like a good utility car that lasts forever. Would love a Corolla GR but holy hell... Payments on a $40,000 car right now are just about $800 a month for 5 years... Crazy talk... I was thinking about selling the car after it had a working motor in it and my buddy was like "how can you get rid of your baby?"... Because it's a car... It's lucky it's green. When I bought my blue one I was contemplating having Ford build one because they were just coming out in 2018. My general thoughts on cars caused me to be sensible and get the cheaper one... And lease it. The payments were awesome so that led me to put a blower on it. LOL.

I love fast cars... Owning one gets me in trouble though and I hate the way prices are going because I'm just too sensible when it comes to spending over $50,000 on a car. My wife always asks me how I suddenly became interested in fast cars and bought the Mustang(s)... The interest was always there but I can take them or leave them. I drove an S550 v8 convertible in Hawaii in 2016 and wanted one.. Took me two years to buy one.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
I have been debating this more and more. Not sure who could do the tuning for me here in Ontario (GTA) but having dropped 20k on a product I have to admit I'm a little frustrated that SPORT is a little rough when shifting still and TRACK is like a frigging Viking invasion on my neck and spine.
Both of my cars had some shifting issues in track and sport even before having the Roush kit put on. When the car is just warming up, if you have it in sport mode it literally locks the rear tires when downshifting from 3 to 2, or 4 to 2.. It's jarring and was present on both cars. I think there are some problems inherent to the A10 and Ford's tuning. If you stab the throttle briefly and lot off, it makes the car rev high and then backfire and pop when it's downshifting. I normally do that around 40 in drive.. If i do it in sport, it will do the same thing and sometimes lock the rear tires... If there is a car behind you, look out...

The Roush tune causes the issues above to get worse, and some new ones. It's awesome when it bounces of the rev limiter instead of shifting during WOT. Or doesn't give the car the signal that you are pushing on the gas as you go around a corner and it's unresponsive. My blue one had the most violent shift from 3-4 at low or half throttle in all drive modes when not warmed up.. At WOT it didn't do it. When warm it only did that in sport mode but drive was fine.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Ahh the beauty of the quirky shifting of the 10R80 and the Roush tune lol.

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I am sure Wengerd can do a remote tune for you.

DF19RS3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That’s what I did. My 19 RS3 was a beautiful car and I got fed up and bought a 21 GT500 and there is no comparison. If you get a chance to drive one you’ll see what I mean. My wife even noticed the difference. From the powertrain to the suspension to the insane brakes and the overall ride it’s quite remarkable what they were able to do with the same Mustang platform as the Ecoboost snd GT’s and turn it into a GT500. The 21 GT500 and the 19 Roush Stage 3 below.

IMG_0651.png
IMG_5075.jpeg
IMG_5071.jpeg
I can see the difference when looking at the GT500 in person. It just looks better built period. Great color you have. One of my favorites. Looks great!