Sponsored

Possibly buying GT350 today, any last minute advice?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

526 HRSE

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Since I purchased my GT 350 new with 4.5 miles on it, I followed the breaking in procedure on page 26. That first 100 miles was a real chore to keep my passions within due bounds.
After the first 100, I make sure the oil temp is up to 150 degrees before I let it eat !
19K miles and 28 HPDE track days no loss of oil. Just gets thirsty (small fuel tank ?) and needs new cup 2s regularly (alignment problem ?)

IMG_0554.jpeg

IMG_0553.jpeg
And since the book is gospel, 1 qt per 500 miles is in spec!

526 HRSE

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Running it up to redline early on is not good. For the first 500 miles, you should avoid going over 4k rpms. You definitely want to coast down in gear. The engine braking vacuum is what seats the rings more than anything else.
Then from 500-1k miles, I avoided going over 6k rpms. After 1,100 miles, it was all out.
Obsessive maybe, disciplined extremely. But at 17K miles now, I never have to add oil between my yearly oil changes. The only oil I lose is the 2-3 ozs my oil seperator filters out.And I consistently drive in the 7k-8k rpm range now.
Break in the engine correctly, and barring any inherent mechanical defects, your engine will last and perform as it should.
I believe this is the key to keeping the rings clean and from sticking. Ford could not put them on due to smog laws.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
And since the book is gospel, 1 qt per 500 miles is in spec!
Just like Harley. First .002 was high spec for crank runout. Then they raised it to .006. Now I believe it is .010. They cant make a true crank so they keep opening the it's good spec.

1 qt in 500 miles is fine, too funny.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White '18 GT350
So did the OP buy the GT350 or whatā€¦
Lmao at least someone remembered little ol me!

I did get it and she's officially mine. Super excited. Easily most excited I've been for a vehicle I've owned. Still trying to get garage rearranged but she at least is able to squeeze in

OP is out enjoying his ride while the rest here are arguing about a dead horse.
Did we ever solve the stick vs branch issue? šŸ¤”

526 HRSE

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Just like Harley. First .002 was high spec for crank runout. Then they raised it to .006. Now I believe it is .010. They cant make a true crank so they keep opening the it's good spec.

1 qt in 500 miles is fine, too funny.
It actually is fine. A lot of performance motors use oil. Ford actually suggests putting on oil separators for track use. Again, they can't put them on for street use due to dumb ass smog laws. I believe this is Fords way at giving you a wink that this NEEDS to be done.

Formula 1 cars are limited to burning 1.3 litres per 100km. Doesn't mean that's what Ford is doing with their flat plane, but just because an engine uses oil, it doesn't equate to 'it must be bad'.

I'm not an engineer, but these guys are.

"That tightly enforced restriction has promoted engineers to look for other sources of concentrated energy that might be stored on board. It has led them, in fact, to explore whether some quantity of the oils and lubricants carried primarily to ensure PUs operate reliably under extreme race conditions could be burned as fuel (oil burning), thereby enriching the engineā€™s ā€˜dietā€™ and boosting power, thanks to an increased amount of chemical energy being available."

https://motorsport.tech/formula-1/oil-burning-explained

20240508_185259.jpg

Last edited:

526 HRSE

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase

I did get it and she's officially mine. Super excited. Easily most excited I've been for a vehicle I've owned. Still trying to get garage rearranged but she at least is able to squeeze in

Yes, it's not a stick.

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Fired up for you - this car is epic, and you will love every inch of it (aside from the rear bumper sag) and come to appreciate that it is one of the most exhilarating experiences you can have in a street legal production car under super car money :) you can consider mine permanently off the market, til death do us part!

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
It actually is fine. A lot of performance motors use oil. Ford actually suggests putting on oil separators for track use. Again, they can't put them on for street use due to dumb ass smog laws. I believe this is Fords way at giving you a wink that this needs to be done.

Formula 1 cars are limited to burning 1.3 litres per 100km. Doesn't mean that's what Ford is doing with their flat plane, but just because an engine uses oil, it doesn't equate to 'it must be bad'.

I'm not an engineer, but these guys are.

"That tightly enforced restriction has promoted engineers to look for other sources of concentrated energy that might be stored on board. It has led them, in fact, to explore whether some quantity of the oils and lubricants carried primarily to ensure PUs operate reliably under extreme race conditions could be burned as fuel (oil burning), thereby enriching the engineā€™s ā€˜dietā€™ and boosting power, thanks to an increased amount of chemical energy being available."

https://motorsport.tech/formula-1/oil-burning-explained

20240508_185259.jpg
Maybe itā€™s because Iā€™ve spent a lot of time around German high performance engines, but Iā€™m a bit surprised with how controversial this issue has become here. High strung, high performance racing oriented engines can have this characteristicā€¦nature of the beast, itā€™s not a Toyota Tacoma! Was actually watching a YouTube video on the Mercedes SLR McLaren the other night, a car I didnā€™t know much about, and thereā€™s a sticker near the fuel fill up that says to check the oil at EVERY fill up (and thatā€™s a $450K super car)ā€¦at least weā€™re every other fill :)

Sponsored
OP
OP

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White '18 GT350
Fired up for you - this car is epic, and you will love every inch of it (aside from the rear bumper sag) and come to appreciate that it is one of the most exhilarating experiences you can have in a street legal production car under super car money :) you can consider mine permanently off the market, til death do us part!
Nothing is ever permanent in my house or garage but this is definitely leaning that direction. It's just a blast to drive and such a unique car. I've got a lot of catching up to do reading here on forums and hopefully some track days in my future. I live near COTA and looks like July there's a possibility for me to attend an event but time will tell.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Well, congratulations on the new to you purchase! So when youā€™re about done rearranging your garage, reading on here, enjoying the ride, and detailing it, post an image of it. šŸ˜

Was it everything you expected when going to buy it?

Thereā€™s a lot of great folks on here and a lot of great tech too, so stick around.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well I guess I just can't wrap my head around this one. If the majority of GT350s don't burn any oil I guess we better start suing Ford because we have defective engines that are not high performance race engines.