Sponsored

Planting the seed to trade our '22 Supra 3.0 for a GT500

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Thanks! The Supra is a lot of fun to drive; I think it’s the turbo inline 6 that I am not in love with. Just doesn’t sound very good compared to the LT4 in my ZL1 or a Mustang V8, and turbo lag.
I totally get it man. I have a '23 Genesis G70 3.3t Sport Prestige awd car as my daily driver and my toy is the '19 Roush Stage 3.
To be honest,....I think I like driving the Genesis more than the Mustang. Probably because I hardly ever drive the Mustang. LOL
Sponsored

n2ofusion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6M
You don’t want both sports cars to be “all about you”. I could see negative consequences down the road. She might be fine with it now or even for a few years until missing the Supra or something that feels like “hers”.

My wife used to have a Highlander but wanted to add a Tesla. Our compromise was an EQS SUV, but it’s left us in a place of a car that’s good at a lot of things but not really great at anything. I do regret a bit not just saying, “looks this one’s yours, but whatever you want and sell it if you don’t like it” rather than trying to meet in the middle

ajisai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Mach 1, Current: GT500
I currently own both a ZLE and a base GT500. And have had a Supra. So let me chime in on this discussion.

I'm not really going to get into the Supra ownership experience. I basically was one of the first adopters of an unit here, and right away had issues with the seating position and extended trips (greater than 1 hour). I've heard the car feels more responsive with the newer models that make more power stock. Not impressed with the original launch edition. They can make decent power with a Pure turbo swap on the B58, but then the transmission requires tuning and you run out of fueling. The S58 platform with the M2 is just far superior currently and you can get in it for around low to mid 60s new if you negotiate off MSRP currently. 5k for an unlock, flex-fuel, and downpipe will get you 700+ wheel and run in the 5.x 60-130 range. The interior and technology is also far superior on the BMW.

Personally, if I had one car, I would now take the GT500. But that's all because of personal preference. The 500 has a rawness and authority when you get on it, that just can't be matched by the ZL1 until you're like 9/10 committed. It also continues pulling with the Eaton 2650 infinitely up top even in stock form, whereas the ZL1 hauls up until 120 and then runs out of steam.
Now if you care more about balance and outright handling, the ZLE feels like a more nimble car (even on street tires) and is certainly the most capable stock handling car I've found under 100k. You're going need the CFTF package to match the ZLE, and even then the chassis and suspension favors the Camaro.

If you're looking for long-term ownership, I would say the ZL1 would suit you better. Keep it. Just from a functional perspective, it's a lot smoother all-around. The Magneride on the Z rides better than the Magneride on the 500. The 10L90 is much smoother, easier to maintain, and has little to no drama. If you're going to mod it though, I would strongly suggest going to another platform. Basic intake + E50 tune nets good gains, but you're always going to crave more. Some people have made good power porting the stock 1.7 supercharger, but there are trade-offs with cooling, compromised track performance, etc. A full-blown 2650 build is necessary, which requires a substantial amount of investment.

Think about replacing the Supra with a M2. .

Hope this helps! From the perspective of someone who cares about cars both in stock form and the potentiality once modded.

Grey03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Raptor, 2021 BMW M340i
My wife drives a 21 Supra and I have a 20 GT500. My wife loves the Supra because it is smaller and easy to drive. There is no way I could get my wife to trade for a GT500. I actually enjoy driving the Supra. I say let her pick. Happy wife, happy life.
FD2E14D9-32C7-4F5A-80E1-01484FDFDE21.jpeg
329D4003-8C1B-4546-B794-6E86241082EB.jpeg

Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Having never owned a Camaro, does the Camaro really compare apples to apples to the GT500 ??? . The GT500 can't be explained in words, one has to drive one, I've owned some performance cars and the 500 blew me away, unbelivable, not for the faint of heart. It requires some restraint to drive on the street.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
In October 2022 my wife and I purchased a new 2022 Supra 3.0. It's a 3rd "fun" car; my primary is my '21 ZL1, and we also have a safe, comfortable AWD family hauler - Volvo XC90 (great car, btw). We both drive the Supra regularly and my wife loves it. She used to have an RX-8 and likes the small lightweight sports car feel. I like it a lot but haven't bonded with it in the same way I have with my ZL1 (the ZL1 is like another kid to me). I don't have the same emotional connection to the Supra that I do my ZL1, although like I said, I do like it a lot. That leads to the topic of the thread: Yesterday I realized I'd rather have a GT500 than the Supra. Since we share the Supra, and its honestly a little more hers than mine (I'd say 60/40) we have to both agree on the decision and replacement vehicle, and I won't trade my ZL1 for a GT500. Knowing she loves the Supra I figure this will be an uphill climb, but yesterday I thought I'd plant a seed and proposed the idea to trade in the Supra for a '21 or '22 GT500. So far she isn't game (not surprised), maybe if I keep talking about it from time to time. Anyway, wish me luck! Pic of the two cars below:
The bold said it all for me. S550s aren't small or lightweight, especially the porkiest one of the lot. If she likes what she has, so be it.

Maybe just hop up the Supra a little?

Last edited:

ajisai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Mach 1, Current: GT500
Having never owned a Camaro, does the Camaro really compare apples to apples to the GT500 ??? . The GT500 can't be explained in words, one has to drive one, I've owned some performance cars and the 500 blew me away, unbelivable, not for the faint of heart. It requires some restraint to drive on the street.
Yes, in many ways comparable.
You should drive one before they're all completely gone!

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
You have your toy, let the wife have hers. You'll end up snuffing her car passion and lose the common excitement you share for the hobby.
Yeah, this right here. Several guys said something like this in this thread already but this response was pretty succinct.You gotta consider the feelings of a wife who otherwise tolerates your addiction.

I currently have two 2023 Mach 1s, both an A10 and an M6 so when I’m in the mood to shift gears I can do just that. But I started this addiction with a 2020 GT A10 convertible, which I still have. My wife often tells curious friends and neighbors that I’m allowed to have 3 Mustangs and that’s my limit. She says she doesn’t care what 3 I have as long as I just have 3. But I know that isn’t true. She can drive it (but rarely does) but she is 100% in love with the GT vert. So in my mind it will always be completely off the table when thinking about trading around. The Rapid Red reminds her of candy apple red of her youth and she won’t let us leave the garage without the top down. Truth be told, I like the car a lot too. It only has 4000 miles on it, cranks every time I push the button and the Active Exhaust is a joy in track mode with the top down.

We developed a little storage problem when I recently added the third Mustang. We live in the N GA mountains so her Subie has to be garaged but we only have a 3 bay garage. See the pic below for the solution that my wife happily signed off on. How could I possibly not consider the feelings of a wife like that? I’ll get by just fine with only two “of my own choosing”, thank you.

IMG_3628.jpeg

Sponsored

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
Get her a Cayman and call it good.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I would keep the Supra and trade the ZL1, the GT500 and ZL1 are similar cars. But once you get used to the power and balance of the 500 getting back into the ZL1 it may feel a bit slow. The Supra is different car, more sporty fun, less muscle car.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Good luck OP! While the 500 is amazing I can understand your wife's attraction to a lighter sportscar. If she is into modding there are great values to be had with that platform.

Keep us in the know.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I'm in a similar situation, with wanting a 500 as a stable mate to the Mach. My wife has a 23 BMW M440, she enjoys driving my car, but likes the size of the BMW. I doubt she will let the BMW go for a 500, due to the size of the car.

You might have to keep the Supra and mod it, or add the 500 to your fleet. That's the route Im going to take at this point. Kudos for wanting to keep the Camaro, and proudly stating that on a Mustang forum. I had a 98 Z, that was a great car and one I regret selling. Good luck with the decisions you and your wife make.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Yeah, this right here. Several guys said something like this in this thread already but this response was pretty succinct.You gotta consider the feelings of a wife who otherwise tolerates your addiction.

I currently have two 2023 Mach 1s, both an A10 and an M6 so when I’m in the mood to shift gears I can do just that. But I started this addiction with a 2020 GT A10 convertible, which I still have. My wife often tells curious friends and neighbors that I’m allowed to have 3 Mustangs and that’s my limit. She says she doesn’t care what 3 I have as long as I just have 3. But I know that isn’t true. She can drive it (but rarely does) but she is 100% in love with the GT vert. So in my mind it will always be completely off the table when thinking about trading around. The Rapid Red reminds her of candy apple red of her youth and she won’t let us leave the garage without the top down. Truth be told, I like the car a lot too. It only has 4000 miles on it, cranks every time I push the button and the Active Exhaust is a joy in track mode with the top down.

We developed a little storage problem when I recently added the third Mustang. We live in the N GA mountains so her Subie has to be garaged but we only have a 3 bay garage. See the pic below for the solution that my wife happily signed off on. How could I possibly not consider the feelings of a wife like that? I’ll get by just fine with only two “of my own choosing”, thank you.

IMG_3628.jpeg
I'd be careful with that skylite and the mach 1, Its going to bleach the top half of your car and your going to end up with a 2 tone blue car.
Sponsored