Sponsored

Oil leak after oil change

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Byers Ford just called, My leak was a loose filter. It was done by a Ford dealership, They expect me to pay 130 for a new filter, and 30 dollars for the cleanup, as well as 2 quarts of oil.

Thanks Ford.

These dealers are useless.
I refuse to go to the dealerships for pretty much anything. Incompetency is their way of business. It's disgusting. And then their "labor" rates are also hilarious. Paying a premium for trash work.
Sponsored

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
OP

1. punch a hole in the filter to let the oil drain out first
2. the store tq of 17lb-ft is clearly not enough

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Escalate that one to the service manager then the GM, then Ford service.
Thanks, I did that but still needed to pay to get my car back. Needless to say some kind of lift setup is in my future. Need to find a decent way to get her in the air so I can do some of these things myself.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Thanks, I did that but still needed to pay to get my car back. Needless to say some kind of lift setup is in my future. Need to find a decent way to get her in the air so I can do some of these things myself.
Seriously? They fucked up and they still ask you to pay?
And $130 for a filter? Are they out of their mind?

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I was out of town at a different dealership. first 2 changes were at byers so I am a known customer. Third was in Morgantown as I hit my magic number while visiting my son for a few days. We ran hard so I didn't want to go over 3k. Freedom Ford changed the oil, after 2.8k the filter came loose. I told byers I didn't know what it was, but suspected the filter. At that time I considered it a warranty issue because it could have been something else. After it was found to be the filter they implied they dont cover other dealerships work, even if it is a certified Ford dealer. Furthermore in place of doing a full change like I had asked, and fully expected to pay for they just changed the filter, and topped off my old oil. I also gave them a filter to use and they declined so they could get their 30 bucks.

They told me it was my responsibility to go after the other dealer for the money.

Last Ford ever.

Sponsored

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
How is it that a "loose filter" requires a new filter? And how is it 130 dollars?

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
I was out of town at a different dealership. first 2 changes were at byers so I am a known customer. Third was in Morgantown as I hit my magic number while visiting my son for a few days. We ran hard so I didn't want to go over 3k. Freedom Ford changed the oil, after 2.8k the filter came loose. I told byers I didn't know what it was, but suspected the filter. At that time I considered it a warranty issue because it could have been something else. After it was found to be the filter they implied they dont cover other dealerships work, even if it is a certified Ford dealer. Furthermore in place of doing a full change like I had asked, and fully expected to pay for they just changed the filter, and topped off my old oil. I also gave them a filter to use and they declined so they could get their 30 bucks.

They told me it was my responsibility to go after the other dealer for the money.

Last Ford ever.
Some dealerships are awful - this is the downside - they're shuffling between the Ford Focus and F150 most days.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Question to OP - did it smell like any of that excess oil coming out had a burning smell at all when the engine got to operating temp or when you brought it back into your garage?

Also what is the correct torque/spec for the oil filter?
I didn't smell any oil burning.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I also didn't smell oil burning, but from late Saturday night to Monday afternoon she lost 2 quarts on the shop floor / tow truck. I believe it started on the cooling cycle after my run to the store.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Guys is this serious?? after first oil change a week after not driving I see this!!

To the contrary mine is on the driver side, not passenger
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0513.JPG

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
No, just keep driving it. :doh:

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
I had my old changed at the Ford dealer today. I told them to torque the oil filter to spec because of hearing other owners having issues. I parked my car when I got home and just moved it into the driveway to wash it for a show tomorrow. I have a 3"x3" fresh oil spot on the garage floor and some drips on the driveway. It looks like the oil is dripping from right in front of the drivers side tire from the plastic shield on the underside of the car. I know an oil change on this car can be messy. How can I tell if this is just oil that might have run out onto the shield from the change or if the filter is leaking? The dealer is now closed so I can't do anything with them until Monday.
Isn't this the area where the oil cooler is?

I know you later said that it was excess oil that flowed out from the plastic under belly, but now seeing HizliBullet's car leaking from the same area makes me wonder if this might be related to the recall.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I think doing your own oil change for this car is a must. Imagine that you change your oil 3-4 times a year and over the course of entire ownership that is 12-20 oil changes. The probability of just one of those oil changes (and all it takes is just 1) will have an issue is extremely high. I wouldnt own this car if I couldnt do my oil changes.

The amount of torque required to tighten the filter is so much that an average Ford mechanic (or in fact ANY mechanic) will never tighten it properly purely out of fear of stripping the threads.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Guys is this serious?? after first oil change a week after not driving I see this!!

To the contrary mine is on the driver side, not passenger
Who did your OC ?

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Unfortunately, I've found that I need to regularly check the torque on my filter as it's come loose several times; that's after torquing it with a torque wrench. I also may have a problem with the oil filter mount sealing surface, but that seems to be a unique issue.
Sponsored