Sponsored

Oil leak after oil change

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I had my old changed at the Ford dealer today. I told them to torque the oil filter to spec because of hearing other owners having issues. I parked my car when I got home and just moved it into the driveway to wash it for a show tomorrow. I have a 3"x3" fresh oil spot on the garage floor and some drips on the driveway. It looks like the oil is dripping from right in front of the drivers side tire from the plastic shield on the underside of the car. I know an oil change on this car can be messy. How can I tell if this is just oil that might have run out onto the shield from the change or if the filter is leaking? The dealer is now closed so I can't do anything with them until Monday.
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I had my old changed at the Ford dealer today. I told them to torque the oil filter to spec because of hearing other owners having issues. I parked my car when I got home and just moved it into the driveway to wash it for a show tomorrow. I have a 3"x3" fresh oil spot on the garage floor and some drips on the driveway. It looks like the oil is dripping from right in front of the drivers side tire from the plastic shield on the underside of the car. I know an oil change on this car can be messy. How can I tell if this is just oil that might have run out onto the shield from the change or if the filter is leaking? The dealer is now closed so I can't do anything with them until Monday.
You have to get underneath, remove the access panel and check the filter. It's very easy - the panel is one Bolt.

Clean the undertray and check.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
You have to get underneath, remove the access panel and check the filter. It's very easy - the panel is one Bolt.

Clean the undertray and check.
I wish I had a low profile lift. This is going to be a pain. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
To add I felt around the bottom and it's oily around the plastic shield where it meets the body panels not just the one spot.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Wrong filter? Didn't torque it correctly? Or maybe oil sitting in top of the plastic cover.

Sponsored

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
This is precisely why I chose to do my own oil change at a local rent-a-bay. The oil change is not messy at all, if done properly. You need to get the car off the ground somehow so you can see if it's leaking from the filter, or if they left a mess on top of your belly pan and didn't clean it up. What a pain in the ass though. I have 2 years of free oil changes with my local dealer and I still won't let them touch it. Plus, I prefer Amsoil which is proven to be a superior oil to Motorcraft. :crazy: Good luck boss.

OP
OP
likeaboss

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I was able to get it over to a friend's shop. It looks like the tech at the dealer didn't clean up the oil spilled on the belly pan. The filter is tight and oil level is good. I'll continue to monitor. Thanks everyone for your help!

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I was able to get it over to a friend's shop. It looks like the tech at the dealer didn't clean up the oil spilled on the belly pan. The filter is tight and oil level is good. I'll continue to monitor. Thanks everyone for your help!
That is the best of all possible outcomes. Good deal. :D

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
While the dealer will guarantee its work doesn't mean it was done with the best
skill oil change jokeys are the newbies. My ford dealer cant even balance a set of tires.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
When I did my own oil change, I found things can get messy. Once I tightened everything up, I used shop towels and wiped down the top side of the belly pan reaching from the back and through the filter access panel. You'd be surprised how much oil can get left on top of the belly pan.

Sponsored

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Question to OP - did it smell like any of that excess oil coming out had a burning smell at all when the engine got to operating temp or when you brought it back into your garage?

Also what is the correct torque/spec for the oil filter?

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Question to OP - did it smell like any of that excess oil coming out had a burning smell at all when the engine got to operating temp or when you brought it back into your garage?

It's listed right on the filter. Specs for both NM and ft lbs

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual

Whatever the manual says. 18lbs I believe.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Byers Ford just called, My leak was a loose filter. It was done by a Ford dealership, They expect me to pay 130 for a new filter, and 30 dollars for the cleanup, as well as 2 quarts of oil.

Thanks Ford.

These dealers are useless.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Escalate that one to the service manager then the GM, then Ford service.
Sponsored