Sponsored

Off the topic: Should I buy a lawyer for speeding ticket?

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Was it a ticket from the state patrol or a local jurisdiction? State tickets are pretty much cast in concrete. Local jurisdiction tickets can be open to bargaining to save points. But, that typically means you are willing to pay more to protect you points. When you go to court, they often have you speak to the clerk of court or other official first. If you don't want to accept a deal, then they will schedule a court date, so you have to come back again. I have never seen a case where a lawyer helped an out-of-state speeding ticket. But, I haven't been caught speeding in all of the states, just more than I care to recall. I was on Wisconsin's habitual offenders list for many years. So, I have more experience in traffic courts than most.
I remember it was sheriff but I am not 100% sure
Sponsored

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Lots of times a lawyer will make a deal with the prosecutor to get it knocked down from a moving violation to a non moving. So no points and no insurance hit. You pay the same fine plus you pay the lawyer.

27 over is reckless in most jurisdictions and most insurance companies will jack your rates accordingly.
Will points and insurance rate still go up even if I am out of state resident?

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
OP was going much faster than the limit and got caught, fine should be payed.
While I understand the sentiment, I've also been the lucky recipient of 3 tickets that I absolutely did NOT earn and had no way of fighting them. So if a lawyer gives me an edge over the courts, then I'm all for it.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
lol @ ā€œjust pay the fine cause grandpa said soā€

heā€™s not denying the deed, nor is hiring an attorney trying to duck the punishment...

...if thatā€™s the case, we should all quit filing deductions on our taxes and just pay the full bill that the IRS wants :cwl:

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 5.0 GT/ā€˜16 F150 XLT/ā€˜21 Explorer Platinum
$887 USD is tantamount to *ss-r*pe. That translates to about $1100 CDN.

27 mph over = 43 kmh over here.
Our fine for the same infraction is $323 CDN is but also 4 points.

I'd hire a lawyer. A really good one.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
$887 USD is tantamount to *ss-r*pe. That translates to about $1100 CDN.

27 mph over = 43 kmh over here.
Our fine for the same infraction is $323 CDN is but also 4 points.

I'd hire a lawyer. A really good one.
id pay any amount of money to keep my record free.

It affects your house insurance, your credit, rates, etc.. its all factored together. auto insurance isn't the only affected thing. can cost you a lot of money from everything in long run.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You may want to check out this link, which has info on what States share moving violation info:
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/13/how-to-know-if-your-state-shares-speeding-ticket-information/

Even if you received an out of State ticket for a moving violation, if itā€™s reported to your home State, there is a high possibility it gets back to your Insurance Co. and you could see a rate hike. It may not be instant, but in most cases it catches up when an Insurancy Agency does an updated driver extract for their policy holders.

Here in NJ, if you go on the scheduled Court Date on the citation, before court is in session, you can talk to the Public Defender to get a review and reduction of the ticket offense. In some instances depending on the violation and your DMV history, you can ask to have points dropped in lieu of taking a non-points offense and paying court costs.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You got hit with the GA Super Speeder fine which is applied when a driver is convicted of speeding at 75 mph or more on a two-lane road or at 85 mph and above on any road or highway in the state.

Georgia does not participate in speeding ticket reciprocity.

https://www.carinsurance.com/which-states-share-traffic-ticket-reciprocity.aspx
GA didnā€™t sign the DLC, BUT the violation can still be shared:
Informal out-of-state sharing agreements exist in some states
Even if your state isn't part of the DLC, an out-of-state ticket may still follow you home, because most of these states have informal agreements with other states to exchange information regarding traffic tickets.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Wow that's a high fine. You could get a lawyer and he can try to reduce that charge but then you'll pay him and the ticket.
Or, if you're ok with that ticket on your license then just pay the fine.
I've never gotten a lawyer for any tickets and always had my tickets reduced to an effective equipment due to my license being clean and I tend to keep it that way. Well I try. I've never gotten pulled over going 85 so can't imagine being caught in the 90mph
range.

Good luck tho

Sponsored

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
As someone whoā€™s had more tickets than most. Getting a lawyer to fix the ticket is more about not having your insurance rates go up due to the ticket vs having a lawyer to avoid going to court. I did not get a ticket fixed once when I was younger and my rates went up and after a year I paid more for the increased rates than the lawyer fee was. But Iā€™ve never had a ticket out of state and I am not from Georgia so I have no clue how they operate.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
id pay a hell of a ton to keep my record clean, pretty much would pay anything.

14 years no driving points/tickets. my rates are as low as I can get them, everything pretty cheap. hell I insure 2 motorcycles for 80 a year combined.

my friends pay like 800 bucks for same shit.
I absolutely agree. Points stay on your license for 3 years. So with speeding on the record and I donā€™t know if Georgia tags extra points on for ā€œsuper speederā€ but youā€™d be bounced out of safe driver discounts from insurance co for three years. Which could end up costing more than the quoted lawyer fee easily. Iā€™ve had over 10 tickets from 16-21 and I always got them fixed and never had points on my license. Even when I had a bad lapse of judgement in highschool and got clocked doing double the speed limit. Lessons learned it was an expensive fix. But had I not got it fixed I would have paid through the nose for insurance.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
lol @ ā€œjust pay the fine cause grandpa said soā€

heā€™s not denying the deed, nor is hiring an attorney trying to duck the punishment...

...if thatā€™s the case, we should all quit filing deductions on our taxes and just pay the full bill that the IRS wants :cwl:
Taxes are quite a bit different than committing a crime I thought. I guess with taxes it's a different crime happening. It is written that you do X and Y is the consequence. This line of thinking heads to why lawyers at all then I know. But it's not murder here it's speeding. It's fun and it's why we have the cars we have. It's still breaking a law though, doing X and getting Y. And it was my dad. Grandpa would have sold my car out from under me lol.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Thank you all I guess hiring a lawyer is not worth it.

Do yall think its worth attending court tho?
I would tend to disagree - another $400 or so isn't going to make you or break you - an experienced vehicle code lawyer may be able to get this reduced or even dismissed. Anything to avoid points on your license is worth it. If you just pay the fine, you submit, roll over and plead guilty. Screw that - I would delay as long as possible. If traffic school is an option great. Go to court - if the cop doesn't show case gets dismissed. If he does - negotiate to a lower speed and maybe the judge lets you do traffic school.

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The only time you shouldn't contest a ticket is if the state offers a forgiveness program. I got a speeding ticket driving through New Mexico in 2019 but they had a program where you could take an online driver's ed course and pay the court fees and it wouldn't get reported to your insurance. I think it cost me around $150 in total and my insurance never went up so not hiring a lawyer and not fighting the ticket was the right call in that case IMO.

On the other side of that coin when I was in Virginia I had a friend with a 2012 Mustang get 3 or 4 reckless driving charges (for speeding). He lawyered up every time and seemed to get away with it.
Sponsored

Last edited: